Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My toddlers wont sleep in their beds, they want to sleep with mommy.

My toddlers wont sleep in their beds, they want to sleep with mommy.

I'm trying to figure out how to get my 3 toddlers(ages 5,3 and 2)to sleep in their own beds. Every night I tuck them in their own beds, in their own rooms, then I go to sleep and in the middle of the night I wake up and all three of them are sleeping right next to me, in my bed. It's becoming a major problem because I'm not getting any sleep at night. My bed is not big enough for the four of us, they sleep quite comfortably because they get to stretch out, I on the other hand, have to twist and turn my body in a way so that I don't roll over on them. It's ridiculous, bad enough I didn't get any sleep when I was 9 months preggars and they were in the womb! My youngest is still a baby, so he sleeps in his crib. I bet if he could crawl out of his crib he'd be right there in bed with us.

So any tips? advice? Please help... I'm tired.

Blog Entries
    My sister bought a small aquarium and put it in her kids room to fantastic results. I am getting ready to try it myself...
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sala View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to get my 3 toddlers(ages 5,3 and 2)to sleep in their own beds. Every night I tuck them in their own beds, in their own rooms, then I go to sleep and in the middle of the night I wake up and all three of them are sleeping right next to me, in my bed. It's becoming a major problem because I'm not getting any sleep at night. My bed is not big enough for the four of us, they sleep quite comfortably because they get to stretch out, I on the other hand, have to twist and turn my body in a way so that I don't roll over on them. It's ridiculous, bad enough I didn't get any sleep when I was 9 months preggars and they were in the womb! My youngest is still a baby, so he sleeps in his crib. I bet if he could crawl out of his crib he'd be right there in bed with us.

So any tips? advice? Please help... I'm tired.
    Can you lock your bed room door? Of course they would probably pound on it but I would try talking to them...saying no more coming to your bed in the middle of the night and if they stay in theirs, they will get a reward in the morning (you decide what the reward is..a treat, special time with you for each one alone...each child needs time alone with their parents and not have to share it with siblings)..playing a game together...baking cookies..whatever. But they have to stay in their bed all night. If they don't they lose something the next day...loss of TV time or outside play time (whatever they do...you know and I don't).

Tell them they can wake you up if they get sick during the night or have a bad dream....but nothing else! I don't think I would put a fish tank in a room full of young children though...they could knock it over and get hurt...stick their hands in it..etc. etc...plus kill the fish.

Just some ideas...

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries
    The tank was on a dresser out of reach of the children...
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

At that age I'd pray with them till they fell asleep and told them they had to stay there. Sometimes putting on some soft music helps. And you may need to lock your door for a while till they get the idea.

Lock the door? oh you guys are funny, I tried that already and I jumped out of bed in the middle of the night to a gang of screaming maniacs pounding on it. Oh I love my kids they are a blessing from God, but I really need to get some sleep. I like the fish tank idea, but knowing the boys, they'd probably figure out a way to get up on that dresser and pull it down Then there's the maintenance, keeping the tank clean and of coarse I would have to remember to feed them, okay I'm rambling now, see, I told you guys I was tired.

I do pray with them before they go to sleep, I think I will try the treats and see if that works. Thank you all for your advice.

Seeking- my kids love to dance, doesn't matter what kind of music, if it's fast they go fast, if it's slow, they dance slow, if I put on soft music, they will most definitely get out of bed and sway to the beat

What about the father? Can't he contribute at night to help keep the kids content? Why does it all fall on you?

Learning submission to His will... again!
    All I can say is that I'll pray for you. This is a tough habit to break your kids of.
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
    Proverbs 3:5

My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you. When your judgements come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness.
    Isaiah 26:9

Blog Entries
    Lock the door? oh you guys are funny, I tried that already and I jumped out of bed in the middle of the night to a gang of screaming maniacs pounding on it. Oh I love my kids they are a blessing from God, but I really need to get some sleep. I like the fish tank idea, but knowing the boys, they'd probably figure out a way to get up on that dresser and pull it down Then there's the maintenance, keeping the tank clean and of coarse I would have to remember to feed them, okay I'm rambling now, see, I told you guys I was tired.

I do pray with them before they go to sleep, I think I will try the treats and see if that works. Thank you all for your advice.

Seeking- my kids love to dance, doesn't matter what kind of music, if it's fast they go fast, if it's slow, they dance slow, if I put on soft music, they will most definitely get out of bed and sway to the beat

There is always duct tape...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Missionary View Post
    I did that to Nate once...he wanted me too! Took ALOT of tape...

Sala Lock the door? oh you guys are funny, I tried that already and I jumped out of bed in the middle of the night to a gang of screaming maniacs pounding on it. Oh I love my kids they are a blessing from God, but I really need to get some sleep. I like the fish tank idea, but knowing the boys, they'd probably figure out a way to get up on that dresser and pull it down Then there's the maintenance, keeping the tank clean and of coarse I would have to remember to feed them, okay I'm rambling now, see, I told you guys I was tired.

So they DO go to sleep in their own beds...right? But wake up some time during the night and then get in bed with you. Do you know what might be waking them up? Do you live near a train track by chance? Or maybe they are just waking up to use the bathroom then get in bed with you...when they are that young they can't always make it through the night without using the bathroom....shoot I am all grown up and I can't go all night either...lol.

Anyway yea try the reward thing...tell them you are getting way too tired and its making you cranky...and they don't want a cranky mom...

Praying for you on getting some sleep!

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Quote Originally Posted by soulsurvivor316 View Post
    What about the father? Can't he contribute at night to help keep the kids content? Why does it all fall on you?
    Unfortunately, I have to deal with this on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by tayariswife View Post
    All I can say is that I'll pray for you. This is a tough habit to break your kids of.
    Yes, thank you can we pray now?

Father, thank you for your faithfulness to me, please Lord strengthen me and give me the love and patience that I need to care for my children, make me into the mother you want me to be and give me the wisdom to raise them up according to your will, in Jesus name, Amen.

Thank you friend

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Missionary View Post
    Oh my goodness! Is that your child Missionary? that baby is absolutely adorable! and look even her little ducky is taped up that's too much!

Blog Entries
    Yes, thank you can we pray now?

Father, thank you for your faithfulness to me, please Lord strengthen me and give me the love and patience that I need to care for my children, make me into the mother you want me to be and give me the wisdom to raise them up according to your will, in Jesus name, Amen.

Thank you friend
    I will pray in agreement with this.

Being a mom is no easy task for sure. The first ten years of my son's life, I didn't get a whole alot of sleep...

God bless

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    I did that to Nate once...he wanted me too! Took ALOT of tape...

So they DO go to sleep in their own beds...right? But wake up some time during the night and then get in bed with you. Do you know what might be waking them up? Do you live near a train track by chance? Or maybe they are just waking up to use the bathroom then get in bed with you...when they are that young they can't always make it through the night without using the bathroom....shoot I am all grown up and I can't go all night either...lol.

Anyway yea try the reward thing...tell them you are getting way too tired and its making you cranky...and they don't want a cranky mom...

Praying for you on getting some sleep!

God bless
    Hi Moonglow, yeah they go to sleep when I put them in their beds and I don't really know what is waking them up in the middle of the night, my oldest son is the only one who would get up to go to the potty at night, my daughter doesn't go at night and my 2year old son isn't potty trained yet. I don't live near a train track or anything.

I haven't tried the reward thing yet, going to do that this week. thanks for all the advice and just listening, I appreciate it!

Thread Information