cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I wanted to start reading the bible, where should I start?

If I wanted to start reading the bible, where should I start?

Okay so I want to start reading this bible I have for the summer, but I have no idea where to start. Should I start at the beginning? The middle? The New Test? A Certain book I should read? Or are there certain parts you think I should read first?

Even if someone already answers this question and you have a different answer don't be afraid to post it. I'm here all day. xD

Blog Entries
    Getting a good solid foundation on Genesis 1-11 is critical.

So is getting a grip on the tiny book of 1 John. You can read it in about 20 minutes. I suggest reading it many times over this summer.

Galatians - Where Paul explicitly explains what is the Gospel is and what it is not.

Psalms 37 is powerfully uplifting.
    Last edited by jayne; Jun 20th 2009 at 11:19 PM.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Blog Entries
    I always believe it best to start at the beginning Genesis 1:1
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

My Thoughts

I suggest that you begin with the Gospel of John and then move on to Romans. After that read Acts. There are many foundational doctrines in John and Romans. Don't simply read the bible but study through it. Take time to write out questions and seek out answers from others more mature in the faith.

Always pray and ask the Lord to open the word to you. Better you should read one or two books of the bible in a year and glean precious truths from them as opposed to reading the bible through every year and never really coming to know what it means.

For the cause of Christ.
    Roger

Thank you guys. You were a really big help.

Blog Entries

Thumbsup READ and PRAY! READ and PRAY!

Kat, the Bible says, "Seek first God's Kingdom and HIS righteousness, and all other things will be added." That means if you seek God, HE will show you, through the Bible, what HE wants you to know. We all have a job to do for God. The first job is to accept HIS Son, Jesus Christ, as our Lord and Savior. We must all do this, each on our own, to make sure that we are saved and will be with Jesus in Heaven. Just because we go to church doesn't mean we are saved. The Bible tells us there is only One way to God the Father, that is through Jesus (John 14:6) We must read our Bibles to hear what God wants to tell us! When I got saved, I started at the beginning, Genesis! It's like I was so hungry for the Word of God, that HE showed me what I needed to understand. HE is still showing me and HE will continue to show me till I leave this crumbling earth to be with HIM in Heaven....Glory to God!!! God is "THE" answer to all of our questions, victories, blessings...everything good is from God!

I pray the Lord allow you to soak in HIS Word that you will possess the true Peace and Joy that only Jesus can give.

God bless
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

My testimony: http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137007

I would say it depends on what you're seeking. The four Gospel books and the Pauline epistles are always a good place to start for those who haven't read much of the Bible. Others keep it simple and just read from Genesis to Revelation. Start wherever you feel led to start and work from there.
    Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KatTheFreak View Post
    Okay so I want to start reading this bible I have for the summer, but I have no idea where to start. Should I start at the beginning? The middle? The New Test? A Certain book I should read? Or are there certain parts you think I should read first?

Even if someone already answers this question and you have a different answer don't be afraid to post it. I'm here all day. xD
    First off, if you feel God is leading you to a particular book then read that book first. For me the first books I read were Ezekiel, Zechariah and Revelation but that's not a reading pattern I'd recommend for others.

I'd say start with one of the Gospels - I'd say either Mark or John. Then some of the letters in the New Testament - most of them are quite short so you can easily read them in a single sitting if you're so inclined.

I also found the book of Amos to be very encouraging, and then of course it's good to understand how it all began, from the book of Genesis.

One thing it's worth remembering is that it's better to be reading the Bible than not reading the Bible. Everyone will have their own ideas of where to start, and if you find one particular book unedifying you can always come back to it later.
    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

I kind of see it similarly to Roger.
    Gospel of John
    Acts
    Romans
    Galatians
    Hebrews

I think those will give you a great first impression. Then once you're getting more acquainted, start going back and reading from Genesis.

I think it might help to understand what each book of the Bible deals with. You want to have a good understanding of the road to salvation and then you'll want to find something to help you know how to live. You will have times when you need encouragement and you will have times when you just want to praise the Lord. There will be a time that you should learn some background, some deeper history. There should also be a time that you look for the future, where will your walk with the Lord take you. What about end-times prophecy? There is so much to learn.

I know this really doesn't answer your question very well. I think you've received some great advice about reading the Bible. I have been told before the book of John is a good place to start. I have also been told Romans is a good place to start. I found when I first started reading the word I was drawn to read Matthew. Later I was drawn to other books, I want to say Acts and then Corinthians. Then James and Timothy. I am not recommending you read in this order, just that is what I believe was the order I read the books of the Bible. I don't know if it was right, or what I needed at the time, or if I was just looking for familiar text, or even something easy. I really don't know why I read the books in the order that I did. I used to be afraid to read the Old Testament because I had a hard time understanding it. Now I desire to read the Old Testament. I find that there is so much there to learn too.

I'd say pray about what you should be reading. I also agree with the poster that said to study what you read. It's easy to read and have no idea ten minutes later what you have read. I also would rather learn a little well than to read a lot and learn next to nothing. I had a hard time understanding what I read and really had to pray that the Lord would open up the scriptures to me. He did just that. I have so much to learn but praise the Lord for what he has, is teaching me.

Blog Entries
    I started with Matthew and read through the NT. I then read the OT. Then I re-read the OT. So much good stuff. Pray and meditate on the word, don't just read it. Ands get a good study Bible.

It is my opinion that every Christian should read the bible cover to cover, not just once but keep doing so throughout their lives. Yet, for someone that has not read it through, starting in Genesis and moving through gets really, really difficult especially when one comes to Leviticus or Numbers. I really, and highly recommend, a reading plan that encompasses both the OT, NT Psalms & Proverbs. That way, you get an overview of the whole bible without getting stuck in the difficult and more tedious books like Leviticus. If you're interested, I can post a link with a good bible reading program that will only take you 15-20 minutes a day and get you through the whole bible in a year.

Are we permitted to post links?

As long as the link isn't to a commercial site or another message board.
    Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

http://bible.christianity.com/readingplan/

You'll need to sign up and then choose the plan you want.

Okay so I want to start reading this bible I have for the summer, but I have no idea where to start.
    xD
    You should start with prayer
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Thread Information