cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is There Sin in Hell?

Is There Sin in Hell?

Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Leaving the fallen angels out of the equation, my question concerns the Human souls in Hell.

I've always assumed that people in Hell carry their sin nature with them into eternity. But if the verse above is an absolute statement (may or may not be, I really don't know) then once a person dies, saved or unsaved, they leave the sin nature behind. If this is the case, then Hell will be populated with non-sinners for eternity. Not that I necessarily object to that idea; Hell is about paying for choices made in a person's earthly lifetime. I'd just like to get your thoughts.

Do people carry the sin nature into Hell, or is he that is dead, truly freed from sin?
    Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will

Hell will be populated with people carrying their sin. Heaven will be populated with people whom Jesus carried their sin. That verse is speaking of our identification with Christ...In Him, we are dead to sin but freed to serve God.
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Leaving the fallen angels out of the equation, my question concerns the Human souls in Hell.

I've always assumed that people in Hell carry their sin nature with them into eternity. But if the verse above is an absolute statement (may or may not be, I really don't know) then once a person dies, saved or unsaved, they leave the sin nature behind. If this is the case, then Hell will be populated with non-sinners for eternity. Not that I necessarily object to that idea; Hell is about paying for choices made in a person's earthly lifetime. I'd just like to get your thoughts.

Do people carry the sin nature into Hell, or is he that is dead, truly freed from sin?
    They may not be able to practice sin in hell but does that mean that their basic nature to do so has changed?
    I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Quote Originally Posted by crossnote View Post
    Hell will be populated with people carrying their sin. Heaven will be populated with people whom Jesus carried their sin. That verse is speaking of our identification with Christ...In Him, we are dead to sin but free to God.
    Excellent point, crossnote. But I think you're talking about the penalty of sin (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm talking about sin itself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crossnote View Post
    Hell will be populated with people carrying their sin. Heaven will be populated with people whom Jesus carried their sin. That verse is speaking of our identification with Christ...In Him, we are dead to sin but free to God.
    good answer.

at first i thought it was a trick question. i figured that's all hell would be...

intersting...

Quote Originally Posted by My heart's Desire View Post
    They may not be able to practice sin in hell but does that mean that their basic nature to do so has changed?
    AS I understand it, MhD, it is our basic nature that drives us to sin while unsaved, and entices to sin after salvation. So I'm not sure how someone could carry a sin nature, yet not sin; at least in their mind even if the opportunity to act was taken away.

AS I understand it, MhD, it is our basic nature that drives us to sin while unsaved, and entices to sin after salvation. So I'm not sure how someone could carry a sin nature, yet not sin; at least in their mind even if the opportunity to act was taken away.
    They take their sin nature with them then. Christians are promised a new body, a new everything, unregenerated persons are not. I'm afraid anything I could think of could not be proved. We are not told much about the person specifically who ends up in the Lake of Fire as far as what they can still do, say or think. Quite a bit would be speculation. I know what it is like to be in extreme pain so if they are in torment chances are that they'd be too crazed do anything, even if they still have the sin nature.

They take their sin nature with them then. Christians are promised a new body, a new everything, unregenerated persons are not. I'm afraid anything I could think of could not be proved. We are not told much about the person specifically who ends up in the Lake of Fire as far as what they can still do, say or think. Quite a bit would be speculation.
    I suppose you're right. Although I find the implications interesting at the very least.

You could argue, on the one hand, that God would not allow sin to continue forever in His eternal universe.

On the other hand, How does God deal with sin? Outside of His grace, He punishes it. And that's exactly what the lake of fire is, punishment for sin.

So then, does God (at least in some part) spend eternity angry and vengeful against continuing sin? (Although that sounds like it's elliciting an obvious, No, I'm really not sure.) Or is the wrath one suffers in eternity only for past choices? Leaving him sinless, to see clearly the wrongs he committed and to grieve for opportunities forever lost?

I suppose you're right. Although I find the implications interesting at the very least.

You could argue, on the one hand, that God would not allow sin to continue forever in His eternal universe.

On the other hand, How does God deal with sin? Outside of His grace, He punishes it. And that's exactly what the lake of fire is, punishment for sin.

So then, does God (at least in some part) spend eternity angry and vengeful against continuing sin? (Although that sounds like it's elliciting an obvious, No, I'm really not sure.) Or is the wrath one suffers in eternity only for past choices? Leaving him sinless, to see clearly the wrongs he committed and to grieve for opportunities forever lost?
    Sorry, can't answer. That's just too much speculating. The way I understand it though, the wrath of God against sin and the penalty has already been paid by the Lord. People in the Lake of Fire will be there because they basicly didn't take the cure that God provided in the Lord Jesus.

Having a deep desire to sin without the ability to quench that thirst... additional torment if you ask me. Can you imagine someone eat up with lust and all those desires without the ability to fulfill the desires and make them go away for temporary relief? I wonder if hell is like that at all too.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

I know what it is like to be in extreme pain so if they are in torment chances are that they'd be too crazed do anything, even if they still have the sin nature.
    Another very good point. I guess my question goes more to the mind than to the actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Having a deep desire to sin without the ability to quench that thirst... additional torment if you ask me. Can you imagine someone eat up with lust and all those desires without the ability to fulfill the desires and make them go away for temporary relief? I wonder if hell is like that at all too.
    Never thought of it from that angle. So I take it you don't see Rom.6:7 as an absolute statement?

(Again, I don't know, just asking.)

Never thought of it from that angle. So I take it you don't see Rom.6:7 as an absolute statement?

(Again, I don't know, just asking.)
    Sure. For the believer as that is the context. The context is that the living believer, in this life, is dead to sin because he has died with Christ. It's not talking about people who have died and gone to hell. As for people in hell having sin, don't know. It sure seems that the rich young ruler repented when he ended up in hell and even prayed for his family. But he was in torment just the same. As for sin, scripture also says every knee will bow and every tongue confess. So perhaps there is no sin in hell. Don't know. I do know it is torment to have deep sinful desires and to not be able to fulfill them. Thank God he frees us from sin so we are not tormented in such a way.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Sure. For the believer as that is the context. The context is that the living believer, in this life, is dead to sin because he has died with Christ. It's not talking about people who have died and gone to hell. As for people in hell having sin, don't know. It sure seems that the rich young ruler repented when he ended up in hell and even prayed for his family. But he was in torment just the same. As for sin, scripture also says every knee will bow and every tongue confess. So perhaps there is no sin in hell. Don't know. I do know it is torment to have deep sinful desires and to not be able to fulfill them. Thank God he frees us from sin so we are not tormented in such a way.
    Amen! And I accept your observation that the context of the passage is believers. But the statement itself, "he that is dead is freed from sin" seems to be used as an absolute and obvious generality in order to reinforce Paul's point regarding the saved and their position as being dead in Christ.

The rich man (of Lazarus fame) also came to my mind as I considered this. I've heard sermons about how selfish he was, only thinking about himself and his family. But as you've pointed out, his reactions could be seen as a sort of repentance. Not that repentance does a bit of good once you've breathed your last breath. But still...

It seems to me that a clear, realizing mind would be in far more torment then an angry, "victimized" attitude would allow.

Rev 20:14 says that death and hell were cast into the lake of fire but what of sin? Is sin an object?

As an action no one will be sinning in hell. Too busy suffering. Surely if sin is in them who are in hell then sin is in hell.

Hell will be filled with an absence of the presence of God.

For the cause of Christ.
    Roger

Thread Information