cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Should a record holders that used steroids have the records taken away?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arkansas,U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,512

    Should a record holders that used steroids have the records taken away?

    I can remember sitting in front of the tv set,watching Hank Arron breaking Babe Ruths home run record. Fastforward three decades we get to Barry Bonds.Nobody seemed to care.There was no hooplah,no big celebration of any kind,nothing.He has been accused of steroids,as many other record breaking big leaguer's. Should they still have that record,even if evidence is there? I say no. It burns me up that sport stars have to take a enhancer drug just to get a edge. What do you say?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    one step closer to agnosticism every day
    Posts
    9,834
    Quote Originally Posted by KATMAN View Post
    I can remember sitting in front of the tv set,watching Hank Arron breaking Babe Ruths home run record. Fastforward three decades we get to Barry Bonds.Nobody seemed to care.There was no hooplah,no big celebration of any kind,nothing.He has been accused of steroids,as many other record breaking big leaguer's. Should they still have that record,even if evidence is there? I say no. It burns me up that sport stars have to take a enhancer drug just to get a edge. What do you say?
    I think the record should not stand. Performance enhancing drugs are a cancer on sport. It cheats nature, by propelling the body beyond what it could do with hard work, practice, and diet. It has very real, very scary consequences both for the user, and for the society that accepts it as "part of the game". By pushing the boundaries of performance past normal human potential, you take humanity out of the game, and only performance numbers matter. At this point sport is annihilated and the whole thing is an exercise in perversion.

    No one should be rewarded for their contribution to that. They should be disdained. It should be a disgrace.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,069
    I think the records should stand because they are already there, but I don't think the players should be able to get into the hall of fame.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arkansas,U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,512
    But if they used performance enhancing drugs to get the record,shouldn't that be ruled as a illegal substance? Wether football,baseball,or any other sports where a substance can be used to get stronger,it gives them a edge.The only sport that really acknowledge using steroids is bodybuilding.Sure they are a few natural body builders,but their in their own class.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,069
    Quote Originally Posted by KATMAN View Post
    But if they used performance enhancing drugs to get the record,shouldn't that be ruled as a illegal substance? Wether football,baseball,or any other sports where a substance can be used to get stronger,it gives them a edge.The only sport that really acknowledge using steroids is bodybuilding.Sure they are a few natural body builders,but their in their own class.
    I fully agree that the people who used steroids did so wrongly and illegally, but the records are already broken and going back and changing them would be very tough. I think it's enough to say that that era was clouded and most people would still say that Aaron and Maris are still the HR champs. But I am firm in thinking they should not be let into the hall of fame and it looks like they won't.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arkansas,U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,512
    Yet at the same time,the Olympics and the Tour de France both pull winners and record holders if performance drugs are found in their systems.When you take a look at some these guys,it looks like they gained 50 lbs of muscle since their rookie year.Now I know that we gain weight as we get older,but not the muscle mass in the arms,shoulders,neck,etc.I believe that sport atheletes should be tested at random,and with no warning.If caught redhanded,then they should choose another career.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Home of the Airborne and Special Operations Forces
    Posts
    6,426
    Yes, it should be taken from them. Further, I don't think an apology should be sufficient, they should be banned from all professional sports. I don' think testing should be random, I think it should be mandatory prior to each performance.

    Zero tolerance. If you're going to pull in millions of $$ every year, you can at least follow the rules.
    The minstrel boy to the war is gone,
    In the ranks of death ye will find him;
    His father's sword he hath girded on,
    And his wild harp slung behind him;
    "Land of Song!" said the warrior bard,
    "Tho' all the world betray thee,
    One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
    One faithful harp shall praise thee!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Inez Ky Pop. 600 as they said on HEE HAW Salute
    Posts
    417
    I think as Americans we have taken a very Pollyanna like stand on our sports heroes since Babe Ruth's day.Is there any one here who does not think he abused alcohol regularly,and any body that has ever had to try to control a drunk knows what kinda strength they posses because the simply have no mental self control and will use every ounce of muscle they have to get what they want.Do I think they should have their records stripped ,no because before modern drug testing how do we know that some of the former record holders weren't using steroids that were legally prescribed to them at the time, the prohibitions on performance enhancing drugs is a fairly recent development in the history of baseball.I do not condone their use,but to think there were not pre-ban,record holders,who were hopped up on something is simply sticking your head in the sand.Should or will they be in the Hall of Fame no they shouldn't ,but they probably won't anyway.If Pete Rose was banned for Life for gambling,when he was a manager,and the commisioner of baseball has made a personal mission of his that Rose will never be in The Hall of Fame,ban the rest from baseball too.
    I was alive without the Law ,the Commandment came sin revived and I died

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In the battle field
    Posts
    11,530
    Should a record holders that used steroids have the records taken away?

    I think the record should be removed, it was made under false pretences.

  10. #10
    The records were set by synthetic means, therefore are synthetic records, if such a term could exist.

    What these steroids do to the human body should be considered a crime and our young people need to be fully aware of their dangers.

    Not to mention cheating.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Home of the Airborne and Special Operations Forces
    Posts
    6,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny606 View Post
    I think as Americans we have taken a very Pollyanna like stand on our sports heroes since Babe Ruth's day.Is there any one here who does not think he abused alcohol regularly,and any body that has ever had to try to control a drunk knows what kinda strength they posses because the simply have no mental self control and will use every ounce of muscle they have to get what they want.Do I think they should have their records stripped ,no because before modern drug testing how do we know that some of the former record holders weren't using steroids that were legally prescribed to them at the time, the prohibitions on performance enhancing drugs is a fairly recent development in the history of baseball.I do not condone their use,but to think there were not pre-ban,record holders,who were hopped up on something is simply sticking your head in the sand.Should or will they be in the Hall of Fame no they shouldn't ,but they probably won't anyway.If Pete Rose was banned for Life for gambling,when he was a manager,and the commisioner of baseball has made a personal mission of his that Rose will never be in The Hall of Fame,ban the rest from baseball too.
    It's called "Integrity".
    The minstrel boy to the war is gone,
    In the ranks of death ye will find him;
    His father's sword he hath girded on,
    And his wild harp slung behind him;
    "Land of Song!" said the warrior bard,
    "Tho' all the world betray thee,
    One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
    One faithful harp shall praise thee!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arkansas,U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,512
    While Babe Ruth,Mickey Mantle and others may have abused alcohol,it has nothing to do with performace,rather the lack of in some cases.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Altoona, Pa
    Posts
    463
    Blog Entries
    3
    You can't take the records away from known steroid users when there are possible records broken from guys who also may have been using that never been caught.

    I think much of this talk of removing records and such stems from "fake outrage." For years baseball players have always been trying to get signs from the catcher. Teams have people who get insider information on other team's tendencies and signs as well. Before steroids, there were decades where many players used speed and other medications to enhance their game. Cheating has existed since the beginning. But since the media blew the steroid thing way out of proportion, suddenly everyone is talking about integrity of the game blah blah blah.

    Look, the problem became known. There is now a drug policy in place. Move on.
    Last edited by Nothing; Jul 29th 2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: my grammar stinks
    Give thanks and praise to the Lord and I will feel all right. - Bob Marley

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Inez Ky Pop. 600 as they said on HEE HAW Salute
    Posts
    417
    I still don't hear anybody give me any reason that the record books should not be rewritten for the ones who used steroids before they were banned to heal their bodies quicker and to let them regain strength after an injury.For quite a while when steroid use was at it's highest ,they were not banned.The medical community thought they were the greatest thing since penicillin until the evidence surfaced that there were very harmful side effects to go along with the benefits.The reason I don't hear it is because we don't have any idea how many of the older records were tainted, is because it was not talked about ,and I used Ruth's alcohol use as an example of how we used to ignore how baseball players and other sports heroes bad behavior.And I know what integrity means ,but lets not hold one group to one standard and another group to another.
    I was alive without the Law ,the Commandment came sin revived and I died

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arkansas,U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,512
    The problem remains.It's bad enough when power hitters allegedly juiced,but pitchers? What happened to the knuckleball?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •