cure-real
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Door-to-Door witnessing: Is this really effective?

Blog Entries

Door-to-Door witnessing: Is this really effective?

Hey, everyone;

I'm on our witnessing team at church. We go door-to-door and share Christ with people....go through the Romans Road if they'll let us. We've been doing this for a few months now, but I'm sort of questioning whether door-to-door witnessing is really the best way to reach people for Christ. I'm wondering if it's more of a hindrance than effective, just because I know that a lot of people see it as annoying. That's how I saw the door-to-door evangelists before I came to Christ. I would purposely not answer the door.

So, then, I would like some feedback. What are the pros and cons of door-t-door witnessing, and is it really an effective way of bringing people to Christ?

This is a tough question. Remember the sending out of the 70 (72) in Luke 10, and the Great Commision; so we are told to spread the word. But I think how we spread, and more importantly, what we spread, which is the real issue.

(Notice: This folder is not open to debate, so don't be surprised if you see this thread moved, because what I am about to say will probably cause it to get moved.)

I too, many years ago, was involved in ministry outreach and I did a fair amount of door-to-door knocking. It did have its rewards - nothing against that - but I began questioning the "Romans Road" cheap grace kind of stuff that many churches (like the Southern Baptist Church I went to) promote. That is the real problem as I see it. We went out trying to walk people through something like the "Romans Road" so as to get them to say something like the "sinner's prayer" (still haven't found that one in my bible) or to "accept Jesus into their heart" (still haven't found that one either). In my opinion it is that cheap grace gospel which does so much to undermine the true gospel. I finally decided I could no longer spread something I did not believe in. The true gospel is not the same as that watered-down stuff. I don't think many people meet the real Jesus by being led down the "Romans Road". That is for those who are just out for numbers and/or superficial conversions. So, I do not question your going out, it is more of a question of what you are spreading. Perhaps that is a part of the reason for its ineffectiveness. Perhaps you need to really sit down and decide for yourself what being saved is all about. Is that really a decision someone can make in less than two minutes by saying a little prayer? Most of those decisions have results lasting little longer than it took to make the decision in the first place. Sorry, but that is how I see it. A true presentation of the gospel takes a little more effort and perhaps a lot more time. Just my two-cents worth.

Bandit

Blog Entries
    I've only once had a real Christian come to my door and witness to me. Usually it's been Jehova's Witnesses or Mormons.

Three weeks before I was saved, someone knocked on my front door, and I opened it. Something about her made me think she was a nurse (my husband had been ill, and we had health visitors turning up once a fortnight to check up on his recovery.) I nearly asked her in before she opened her mouth, but anyway...

She told me she'd been led to come to the door, and started to share the gospel with me. My husband started yelling abuse at her from the other room (he couldn't get into his wheelchair without my help, if he'd been in his chair he'd have come out to her.) I told her that I was a born again atheist, and she looked rather surprised, but carried on sharing the gospel. To be honest, I can't remember what she said. I did tell her that I respected her courage, but I also told her she was utterly wrong.

Well, three weeks later I was saved, and eight months later, I was sitting in a church, and saw a lady who looked vaguely familiar. Then we had a "click" moment, where we recognised each other... she was on one side of the congregation, I was on the other, and we both just got to our feet and ran in for a hug. It was wonderful.

So, it can work... but only I think if it's led by the Spirit.

(There's a lot more to my salvation story than that, but that's a part of it.)
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Thank you so much for sharing this portion of your testimony, Mary.
    It gave me goosebumps--how awesome is the working of the Holy Spirit.

In Christ,
    Jen

It can and is a very effective method for witnessing if done correctly and then most importantly followed up on. What was it, back in the early to mid 70's when it was the hottest thing in the Christian life.

What better way to go into all nations than into one's home! Where we fall majorly, is in the follow-up. We go, we share, they accept, we leave! They....? We don't know, because we never see them again. We only partially do our job.

I think back at those times when I would be with a group from church out witnessing and can still feel the Spirit in the air, being all fired up for God.

Mary just hit it on the head when she said what she shared was only part of her salvation story. Amen sister!
    Error does not become Truth because it is widely accepted; Truth does not become error, even when it stands alone!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daughter View Post

She told me she'd been led to come to the door, and started to share the gospel with me.
    Here I believe is the difference. If led to go up to someone's door by the Spirit - then you'ld best go. But to take 4 or 5 city streets, break it up between a couple teams of people and make a route out of it it's not necessarily NOT Spirit led, but it's not exactly Spirit led either. It's our plan.

If the Spirit guides and directs, the church can't loose. Even those sent out by Christ were told to brush off the dirt if they weren't accepted. We are to go out, but we also must recognize the guiding of the Spirit when we do and then follow it.

Door to door these days isn't terribly effective. Most people will hide and do what they can to ignore you if they are home. Door to door anything these days has worn people out. In that situation, they are already turned off and probably aren't going to be as receptive as they would be away from their safe zone - their home.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JWayne View Post
    It can and is a very effective method for witnessing if done correctly and then most importantly followed up on. What was it, back in the early to mid 70's when it was the hottest thing in the Christian life.

What better way to go into all nations than into one's home! Where we fall majorly, is in the follow-up. We go, we share, they accept, we leave! They....? We don't know, because we never see them again. We only partially do our job.

I think back at those times when I would be with a group from church out witnessing and can still feel the Spirit in the air, being all fired up for God.

Mary just hit it on the head when she said what she shared was only part of her salvation story. Amen sister!
    I agree with the follow-up part -- but the only problem is that the person who actually prayed to receive Christ with me actually went to another church, and I knew of the church she was talking about, and I didn't want to interfere if she was already going to that church.

The last thing I want to do is make it appear as if we're only talking to people to increase numbers in our church.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of your input, you guys.

So, then, why do people stress it so much if it's ineffective? What about street witnessing -- people on street corners yelling and preaching? It just seems harsh.

So, then, would you guys advise that I stop going out with this group? Of course, I will pray about it, but I would also like some feeback.

Blog Entries
    Street preaching isn't always standing and shouting on a corner. I've gone out with street preachers, and usually find that there's ample opportunity to talk one on one.

I've seen some awful street preachers, of course. My husband was beaten up once by two guys who thought they were street preachers. But there are street preachers who know what they're doing.

Have a look at this guy, witnessing. He preaches quite hard messages to Christians, but he's very gentle and loving to the lost.

Could you pray for the guy in the video as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kF_i...e=channel_page

Blog Entries
    How about heading out to the park, handing out a tract, and telling someone to have a blessed day? Or sitting in a park and praying that God send you someone who needs Him? Put yourself in a place you can be used, physically and spiritually, and God will work through that. Doesn't have to be hollaring on a street corner, do it with humility and love for Christ and street preaching can be fun and effective.
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

Blog Entries
    Do you know, threebigrocks, that's the best idea. I've always found that when I pray for a witness opportunity, God sends me an opportunity. Also, it's a good idea to always have some tracts with you, so you can just hand them out to people.

Blog Entries
    Do tracts really work?

Blog Entries
    Scripture works. If your tract is based on Scripture, it's something that you can give out, and then talk about.

If your tract is based on scare stories about witches eating babies, then no... it won't work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Welder4Christ View Post
    Do tracts really work?
    Our pastor was saved through a tract at age 12. I've known it to plant seeds. My only experiences with door-to-door: We did visitations with visitors who had attended the church once or twice. There we shared the gospel if we felt led--for many it was a beginning point with more follow up to be done. The other DTD experience was survey work for a new church plant. The survey was simple (2 minutes) no salvation plan unless they asked questions etc. but it was a specific way to get the word out for the new church and to make contacts with people who wanted follow-up. Sometimes, it is about planting seeds. We may not see the harvest until heaven.
    Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
    Psalm 62:5

Blog Entries
    So then, no one has really answered my follow-up question. If DTD evangelism isn't effective, why do so many churches stress it, and why do people still even bother going?

I also hear pastors talking about going up to people in public places or whatever and just start talking to them about Jesus. I don't know if that's a real good idea, do you?

Thread Information