cure-real
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Passover

Passover

The Bible speaks of passover in Exodus 13:6-10 saying:

Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, and on the seventh day there shall be a feast to the LORD. Unleavened bread shall be eaten for seven days; no leavened bread shall be seen with you, and no leaven shall be seen with you in all your territory. You shall tell your son on that day, 'It is because of what the LORD did for me when I came out of Egypt.' And it shall be to you as a sign on your hand and as a memorial between your eyes, that the law of the LORD may be in your mouth. For with a strong hand the LORD has brought you out of Egypt. You shall therefore keep this statute at its appointed time from year to year.

It seems apparent that God intended that we celebrate passover, so as Christians why dont we?

wenlock Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffinator View Post

Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, and on the seventh day there shall be a feast to the LORD. Unleavened bread shall be eaten for seven days; no leavened bread shall be seen with you, and no leaven shall be seen with you in all your territory. You shall tell your son on that day, 'It is because of what the LORD did for me when I came out of Egypt.' And it shall be to you as a sign on your hand and as a memorial between your eyes, that the law of the LORD may be in your mouth. For with a strong hand the LORD has brought you out of Egypt. You shall therefore keep this statute at its appointed time from year to year.

It seems apparent that God intended that we celebrate passover, so as Christians why dont we?
    Which Christian was addressed in Exodus?

This post would be fine in a Jewish forum. Though one would also have to ask why they don't sacrifice bulls and goats.

Quote Originally Posted by wenlock View Post
    Which Christian was addressed in Exodus?

This post would be fine in a Jewish forum. Though one would also have to ask why they don't sacrifice bulls and goats.
    Which Christian was addresed when the Ten Commandments were written? We still keep those dont we? Since when do we pick and choose what parts of God's word we want to follow?

wenlock Guest
    Which Christian was addresed when the Ten Commandments were written? We still keep those dont we?
    No! Not as commandments. Christians keep the law of love, that goes well beyond not killing people, to not hating them. From not committing adultery, to not even entertaining thoughts of doing so.

But let us not ignore the point about sacrificing and the many ritual laws that were commanded for Israel.

wenlock Guest
    The laws of the Old Testament go well beyond the Jews
    Natural law, created by the act of creation, applies to all. But Mosaic Law applied only to the Israelites.

and sacraficing is mentioned well before the Jewish people.
    Those who are unjustified by faith in Jesus' sacrifice can continue to offer sacrifices.

If Jesus kept Passover why wouldn't we?
    Jesus went to the Temple. Why don't Christians?

It's a fair question. Some Christians do celebrate Passover, most markedly perhaps in Messianic Judaism, among what were formerly termed Jewish Christians.
    Much of the rest of Christendom follows patterns set early on in Christian history, first with the distinction of Christians from Judaism in days of persecutions of both groups, where legalistic Judaizers and Gnostic influences were paramount confluences the Apostle Paul particularly fought against in keeping the Church pure to Christ's ideals; and then, when the Emperor Constantine sought to unify Christianity as the major State religion under his rule, bringing together various Christian factions under a new homogenized and rather hellenistic whole. It's during these early centuries of Christianity that the Jewish calendar was replaced with things like Easter, Christmas, various saint's days (culminating in All Hallows and Hallowe'en), and the like.

In disavowing Jewish feasts and holy days, much of Christendom references Colossians 2, esp. verses 16 and 17, "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ." (NIV) That is, the "reality" has fulfilled or completed the "shadow".

As a Protestant and Presbyterian whose heritage threw out Roman Catholic abuses of calendrical worship, keeping only the LORD's Sabbath, I personally think the Church, which now predominantly observes it's own structured calendar (Christmas, Easter, etc.) apart from Biblical dictate, would do well to reconsider it's holy day observances. Freedom in Christ from legalistic ritual ought to rightly be acknowledged, but there's a lot to be said for continuity between the Old and New Testaments, in perhaps marrying the Biblical aspect of a Jewish calendar with completed observance in Christ. Messianic Judaism has it's own pitfalls and need for caution, but I think they do honour Christ in celebrating Christ in the Jewish feasts. These days it's certainly an alternative worthy of note compared with what has popularly degenerated in regards to Christmas, Easter, All Saints' Day (with Hallowe'en), Ash Wednesday (with Fat Tuesday /Mardi Gras / Shrove Tuesday / Carnival), and much of the Church Calendar.

wenlock Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    It's a fair question. Some Christians do celebrate Passover
    Those who celebrate it must know that their ancestors passed through the Red Sea, and there can be very few who know that.

It may be that such practices have more affinity with the circumcision party of Acts and Galatians than with Christianity. Proceed with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by wenlock View Post
    Those who celebrate it must know that their ancestors passed through the Red Sea, and there can be very few who know that.

It may be that such practices have more affinity with the circumcision party of Acts and Galatians than with Christianity. Proceed with caution.
    It's fair to say that upwards to 90% of what now comprises Messianic Judaism are Gentile Christians, and Messianic Judaism still often struggles both with legalistic tendencies and with a prideful distinction from the rest of Christianity, but so too do many, many Christians of other assemblies.

Is not passover a celebration of the flight of Israel from the clutches of Egypt? If so, what purpose does it serve to those who are not of the nation of Israel?

wenlock Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grit View Post
    It's fair to say that upwards to 90% of what now comprises Messianic Judaism are Gentile Christians
    Gentiles, anyway.

Messianic Judaism still often struggles both with legalistic tendencies and with a prideful distinction from the rest of Christianity, but so too do many, many Christians of other assemblies.
    That's very true, though I'm sure we don't take the view that one more false cultus makes no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by HisLeast View Post
    Is not passover a celebration of the flight of Israel from the clutches of Egypt? If so, what purpose does it serve to those who are not of the nation of Israel?
    A Christian doesn't celebrate a 'passover' .
    But rather 'The Lord's Supper' as COMMANDED by Jesus Christ.

Lord's Supper (NLT)

1 Corinthians 11:23-29
    "Love is not about you...and it never was"
    "Selfishness is inwardly focused, but Love is Always outwardly focused!"

I am very anti-abortion, anti-murder, and Pro-Love.
    Gotta stop repeating myself...

Stop Marfan - The Silent but deadly killer.
    It's main weapon is lack of truth.
    Please learn the truth about the Marfan syndrome
    by visiting The National Marfan Foundation.
    Feel free to ask me any questions you may have
    about the Marfan syndrome and I will answer them
    the best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by SammeyDW View Post
    A Christian doesn't celebrate a 'passover' .
    But rather 'The Lord's Supper' as COMMANDED by Jesus Christ.

Lord's Supper (NLT)

1 Corinthians 11:23-29

I was thinking the same SammeyDW
    God instructed the children of Israel to keep passover and God used it to show those children Christ. We as Christians may not keep the passover feast, but we keep the Lord's Supper.

Beck

We also celebrate Resurrection Sunday - the day the Lord declared victory over sin and death.

wenlock Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhayes View Post
    We also celebrate Resurrection Sunday - the day the Lord declared victory over sin and death.
    Christians do that all the time.

Christians do celebrate the Passover....the fullness and completion of it however, and not the pre-type and shadow.

Today we refer to it as the Lord's Supper and the Passion week.

Matt 26:17 "Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover? And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples. And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover. Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve. And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me. And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. "

John 19:14 "And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King! But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King?"

I Corinthians 5:7 "For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us"

Thread Information