cure-real

Thread: Sinful thoughts.

Sinful thoughts.

Everytime i watch the news or read about news about someone doing something terrible to someone. I always get these thoughts in my head of me doing these sinful things to loved ones or other people. I am not going to go into any detail in what the sinful things are. I think if you watch the news you will get what the thoughts i am having. Is this normal to have? Should i speak to someone about this? There's no enjoyment out of these thoughts or anything like that so i am not sure if this is a normal problem to have or if it is a little 'out there'. I am not depressed so i don't think thats the problem. Thankfully God takes these terrible thoughts out of my mind for i don't dwell on them 24/7 but they do come up almost every time i see a news report and i wanted to know why

maybe you are watching the news or reading about the news too much; there is rarely any good news in the news. They seem to concentrate on the bad and it says in the Bible to think on noble things and things of a good report. Maybe you could make a list of good things you have heard about and review it every so often, so as to dwell on and think about righteousness.

2 Corinthians 10:3
    For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Philippians 4: 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
    8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice.

In Christ,
    Jen

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,
    (Eph 6:10-18)

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
    (Rom 12:1-2)
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Quote Originally Posted by CupOfMilk View Post
    Everytime i watch the news or read about news about someone doing something terrible to someone. I always get these thoughts in my head of me doing these sinful things to loved ones or other people. I am not going to go into any detail in what the sinful things are. I think if you watch the news you will get what the thoughts i am having. Is this normal to have? Should i speak to someone about this? There's no enjoyment out of these thoughts or anything like that so i am not sure if this is a normal problem to have or if it is a little 'out there'. I am not depressed so i don't think thats the problem. Thankfully God takes these terrible thoughts out of my mind for i don't dwell on them 24/7 but they do come up almost every time i see a news report and i wanted to know why
    We all have sinful thoughts. And sometimes it's the strangest things that can trigger them. You've gotten great advice in this thread, CupOfMilk. The thoughts that creep in unconsciously are defeated by the power of God through the thoughts that we bring in consciously. In other words, you fight against those "involuntary" thoughts by thinking the things of God on purpose.
    Eph 1:9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will

As long as you don't cherish these thoughts, you're fine.
    Last edited by Gilligan; Aug 7th 2009 at 08:03 PM.

"It is written" is what Jesus told Satan when He was tempted

Get into His Word and you will be more prepared when those temptations come your way

I agree with you Buck shot.

First of all i am happy to see this post. I can tell that this is troubling you and you acknowledging that and seeking to mortify this issue shows growth in Christ!

Is it normal? Yes. Our flesh is at war with our spirit. At times thoughts might appear that we notice as sinful. There are a variety of situations that may cause this and you have identified that watching the news is one of these.

Would you be willing to skip watching the news? I asked because I had a similar issue. The news had a tendency to get me worked up. With all the depravity in the world its not real hard. So its one of the areas that i cut out of my life. I figured that i could use that time for something better.

What about reading some edifying Christian literature, studying the bible or praying during that time? Find something to glorify God and build yourself up during that time

Just my thoughts this morning
    Quote Originally Posted by Job 34:19
    God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Thanks for all the advice. and yes i am willing to cut out the news. It has never been every enjoyable to watch even when i was in the youngest years of my life i disliked it.

Thread Information