OK, OK, I didn't write this one. I couldn't. I am the self-professed QUEEN of WORRY. (I did add a few extra scriptures, that's all.)
(jayne, the Queen of Worry!)
Here you go. (author unknown)
What Does the Bible Say About Worry?
(In addition to commanding us NOT to.)
Over the span of our lifetimes, worrying accounts for hours and hours of invaluable time that we will never get back. So, let's spend our time more wisely and more enjoyably. Not convinced yet? Here are four biblical reasons not to worry.
1. Worrying Accomplishes Absolutely Nothing.
Worrying won't help you solve a problem or bring about a solution, so why waste your time and energy on it? Matthew 6:27-29** (see all scriptures below)
2. Worrying is Not Good for You.
Worrying is destructive to us in many ways. It becomes a mental burden that can even cause us to grow physically sick. Proverbs 12:25, Proverbs 3:5-8
3. Worrying is the Opposite of Trusting God.
The energy that we spend worrying can be put to much better use in prayer. This isn't mine, but here is a little formula to remember: Worry replaced by Prayer equals Trust. Matthew 6:30 , Philippians 4:6-7, Matthew 11:28-30, Psalm 34:4
4. Worrying Puts Your Focus in the Wrong Direction.
When we keep our eyes focused on God, we remember his love for us and we realize we truly have nothing to worry about. God has a wonderful plan for our lives, and part of that plan includes taking care of us.
Even in the difficult times, when it seems like God doesn't care, we can put our trust in the Lord and focus on his kingdom. God will take care of our every need. Matthew 6:25, Matthew 6:31-33, 1 Peter 5:7, Hebrews 13:6
- Matthew 6:27-29
Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. (NLT)
- Proverbs 12:25
Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. (NLT)
- Proverbs 3:5-8 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your way acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.
- Matthew 6:30
And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith? (NLT)
- Philippians 4:6-7
Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience Godís peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. (NLT)
- Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
- Matthew 6:25
That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life-whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing? (NLT)
- Matthew 6:31-33
So don't worry about these things, saying, 'What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. (NLT)
- Psalm 34:4 I sought the LORD and He heard me and delivered me from all my fears.
- 1 Peter 5:7
Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you. (NLT)
- Hebrews 13:6 So we say with confidence, "The LORD is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?