cure-real
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57

Thread: The 1st resurrection...Spiritual?..Physical?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    9,667

    The 1st resurrection...Spiritual?..Physical?

    Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
    6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.


    This has come up several times today in a cpl of threads. I've always interpreted this as physical, but some are saying the 1st resurrection is spiritual instead. How can this be? Should we also conclude that Jesus' resurrection was also spiritual, and not physical? I would think not. So why would we conclude the 1st resurrection in Rev 20 to be spiritual instead of physical?

    BTW, what exactly does it mean to be resurrected spiritually?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    On the narrow path
    Posts
    1,861
    Blog Entries
    3
    I think the first resurrection is a physical resurrection. A few different scriptures help to show the reason for what I think.

    First, 2 Corinthians 5

    2 Corinthians 5

    1 For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
    2 For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven,
    3 inasmuch as we, having put it on, will not be found naked.
    4 For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life.
    5 Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge.
    6 ¶Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord --
    7 for we walk by faith, not by sight --
    8 we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.
    9 Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.
    10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

    This tells us that we have the Holy Spirit abiding in us as a pledge. The Holy Spirit being fully God then we know without a shadow of a doubt that God knows what our hearts desires are and our beliefs. Then in verse 10 we are told that we appear before the judgment seat of Christ to be recompensed for what we did in this body. This make it possible for us to be present with the Lord when we are absent from the body like verses 6 thru 8 tell us.

    Second, 1 Corinthians 15

    1 Corinthians 15

    49 Just as we have borne the image of the earthy, we will also bear the image of the heavenly.
    50 ¶Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.
    51 Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,
    52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.
    53 For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.

    At the last trumpet not everyone will have died, but all the believers will be changed in a twinkling of and eye. This is when Jesus returns to earth and rules and reigns for 1000 years.

    This is confirmed in 1 Thessalonians 4

    1 Thessalonians 4

    13 ¶But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.
    14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.
    15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.
    16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
    17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

    Many use these passages from 1 Thessalonians to build a pre trib rapture, but from study of the whole of scripture we can see that it is in fact the end of the great tribulation when Jesus returns to the earth for His 1000 year reign. So from what I see we are all judged by Christ right away when we die and if we believe then we go to be with the Lord and if the person is not a believer in Jesus then the person goes to hell to await the great white thrown judgment. This I get from reading the above scriptures as well as the parable of Lazarus and the rich man in Like 16. As believers in Jesus we get rewarded with resurrection learlier then those that do not believe and thus the second death has no power, which brings us back to the scripture you referenced in the OP.

    Revelation 20

    Revelation 20

    4 ¶Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
    5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection.
    6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.
    I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
    Have you laid your burdens down?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    2,045
    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
    6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.


    This has come up several times today in a cpl of threads. I've always interpreted this as physical, but some are saying the 1st resurrection is spiritual instead. How can this be? Should we also conclude that Jesus' resurrection was also spiritual, and not physical? I would think not. So why would we conclude the 1st resurrection in Rev 20 to be spiritual instead of physical?

    BTW, what exactly does it mean to be resurrected spiritually?
    I think those that want to spiritualize the 1000 year reign of Christ are prone to spiritualize the 1st resurrection.
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Strawberry Plains, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    11,107
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustingFollower View Post
    This tells us that we have the Holy Spirit abiding in us as a pledge. The Holy Spirit being fully God then we know without a shadow of a doubt that God knows what our hearts desires are and our beliefs. Then in verse 10 we are told that we appear before the judgment seat of Christ to be recompensed for what we did in this body. This make it possible for us to be present with the Lord when we are absent from the body like verses 6 thru 8 tell us.

    So from what I see we are all judged by Christ right away when we die and if we believe then we go to be with the Lord and if the person is not a believer in Jesus then the person goes to hell to await the great white thrown judgment. This I get from reading the above scriptures as well as the parable of Lazarus and the rich man in Like 16. As believers in Jesus we get rewarded with resurrection learlier then those that do not believe and thus the second death has no power, which brings us back to the scripture you referenced in the OP.

    Here is a passage of scripture that must be considered, I think.

    John 11:21-25
    21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

    22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.

    23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.

    24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

    25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

    26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?


    Then, we can't ignore this:
    John 5:24-27
    24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

    25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

    26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

    27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

    Could it be...could it possibly be...the first resurrection has been happening for 2,000 years, and we haven't noticed? Because we have been looking for a coming, future resurrection of everyone at the same time?
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

    "Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    9,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    Here is a passage of scripture that must be considered, I think.

    John 11:21-25
    21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

    22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.

    23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.

    24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

    25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

    26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?


    Then, we can't ignore this:
    John 5:24-27
    24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

    25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

    26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

    27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

    Could it be...could it possibly be...the first resurrection has been happening for 2,000 years, and we haven't noticed? Because we have been looking for a coming, future resurrection of everyone at the same time?


    Diggindeeper, would I be correct in assuming that you believe the Bible teaches OSAS? The reason I ask that, is because OSAS would have to be Biblically correct in order for your understanding of this to be correct. If OSAS isn't Biblically correct, then your understanding of the resurrection would be incorrect also, because one could lose their resurrection if they lose their salvation. But if the resurrection is physical, and it all occurs at one time with Christ's coming, it would only include those that maintained their salvation. I come from this perspective because I don't feel that the Bible teaches OSAS. And also, it is not my intention to debate OSAS vs NOSAS. I'm just using it to try and make a point.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Outside of the box. Where else?
    Posts
    9,667
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustingFollower View Post
    I think the first resurrection is a physical resurrection. A few different scriptures help to show the reason for what I think.

    First, 2 Corinthians 5

    2 Corinthians 5

    1 For we know that if the earthly tent which is our house is torn down, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
    2 For indeed in this house we groan, longing to be clothed with our dwelling from heaven,
    3 inasmuch as we, having put it on, will not be found naked.
    4 For indeed while we are in this tent, we groan, being burdened, because we do not want to be unclothed but to be clothed, so that what is mortal will be swallowed up by life.
    5 Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge.
    6 ¶Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord --
    7 for we walk by faith, not by sight --
    8 we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.
    9 Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.
    10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

    This tells us that we have the Holy Spirit abiding in us as a pledge. The Holy Spirit being fully God then we know without a shadow of a doubt that God knows what our hearts desires are and our beliefs. Then in verse 10 we are told that we appear before the judgment seat of Christ to be recompensed for what we did in this body. This make it possible for us to be present with the Lord when we are absent from the body like verses 6 thru 8 tell us.

    Second, 1 Corinthians 15

    1 Corinthians 15

    49 Just as we have borne the image of the earthy, we will also bear the image of the heavenly.
    50 ¶Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.
    51 Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,
    52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.
    53 For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality.

    At the last trumpet not everyone will have died, but all the believers will be changed in a twinkling of and eye. This is when Jesus returns to earth and rules and reigns for 1000 years.

    This is confirmed in 1 Thessalonians 4

    1 Thessalonians 4

    13 ¶But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.
    14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.
    15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.
    16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
    17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

    Many use these passages from 1 Thessalonians to build a pre trib rapture, but from study of the whole of scripture we can see that it is in fact the end of the great tribulation when Jesus returns to the earth for His 1000 year reign. So from what I see we are all judged by Christ right away when we die and if we believe then we go to be with the Lord and if the person is not a believer in Jesus then the person goes to hell to await the great white thrown judgment. This I get from reading the above scriptures as well as the parable of Lazarus and the rich man in Like 16. As believers in Jesus we get rewarded with resurrection learlier then those that do not believe and thus the second death has no power, which brings us back to the scripture you referenced in the OP.

    Revelation 20

    Revelation 20

    4 ¶Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
    5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection.
    6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.


    Hi TrustingFollower. It appears to me that you and I see much of this the same. There's nothing in your post that I would tend to disagree with, because I believe you are spot on.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Probably looking over your shoulder
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
    6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.


    This has come up several times today in a cpl of threads. I've always interpreted this as physical, but some are saying the 1st resurrection is spiritual instead. How can this be? Should we also conclude that Jesus' resurrection was also spiritual, and not physical? I would think not. So why would we conclude the 1st resurrection in Rev 20 to be spiritual instead of physical?

    BTW, what exactly does it mean to be resurrected spiritually?
    There was an interesting thread on this recently in the ET forum. Check it out here.

    - Hitman


    "Test all things; hold fast what is good." - Advice from the Apostle Paul


  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    On the narrow path
    Posts
    1,861
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post

    Could it be...could it possibly be...the first resurrection has been happening for 2,000 years, and we haven't noticed? Because we have been looking for a coming, future resurrection of everyone at the same time?
    No I don't think the first resurrection has been taking place for 2000 years. If it has been happening for all that time then it would make scripture out to be lying, and we know that scripture is not a lie. Paul encountered this same kind of doubt and wrote against it.

    1 Corinthians 15

    12 ¶Now if Christ is preached, that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?
    13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised;
    14 and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain.
    15 Moreover we are even found to be false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised.
    16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised;
    17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.
    18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.
    19 If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.
    20 ¶But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.
    21 For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead.
    22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.
    23 But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming,
    24 then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power.
    25 For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet.
    26 The last enemy that will be abolished is death.


    Flesh and blood can not inherit the kingdom of God, so if this is the first resurrection then we would be in imperishable bodies just like Jesus is now. If this is not the case then as Paul said let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.

    1 Corinthians 15

    28 When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.
    29 ¶Otherwise, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them?
    30 Why are we also in danger every hour?
    31 I affirm, brethren, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.
    32 If from human motives I fought with wild beasts at Ephesus, what does it profit me? If the dead are not raised, LET US EAT AND DRINK, FOR TOMORROW WE DIE.
    33 Do not be deceived: "Bad company corrupts good morals."
    34 Become sober-minded as you ought, and stop sinning; for some have no knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame.
    35 ¶But someone will say, "How are the dead raised? And with what kind of body do they come?"
    36 You fool! That which you sow does not come to life unless it dies;
    37 and that which you sow, you do not sow the body which is to be, but a bare grain, perhaps of wheat or of something else.
    38 But God gives it a body just as He wished, and to each of the seeds a body of its own.
    39 All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one flesh of men, and another flesh of beasts, and another flesh of birds, and another of fish.
    40 There are also heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is one, and the glory of the earthly is another.
    41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory.
    42 ¶So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body;
    43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power;
    44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

    Without the physical resurrection there is no hope in the gospel of Jesus Christ. Right now we are saved by faith, when the fullness of His glory returns to the earth we will be saved physically for all eternity.

    Romans 5

    1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
    2 through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.
    3 And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance;
    4 and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope;
    5 and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

    Hope does not disappoint.
    I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
    Have you laid your burdens down?


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Strawberry Plains, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    11,107
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    Diggindeeper, would I be correct in assuming that you believe the Bible teaches OSAS? The reason I ask that, is because OSAS would have to be Biblically correct in order for your understanding of this to be correct. If OSAS isn't Biblically correct, then your understanding of the resurrection would be incorrect also, because one could lose their resurrection if they lose their salvation. But if the resurrection is physical, and it all occurs at one time with Christ's coming, it would only include those that maintained their salvation. I come from this perspective because I don't feel that the Bible teaches OSAS. And also, it is not my intention to debate OSAS vs NOSAS. I'm just using it to try and make a point.
    Nope! Definitely not OSAS.

    Just putting a question out there. You see, there are really several points that I can't agree with in the thread. For one example, I believe what we read as the "1,000" years here started with Steven. And with the Apostles. And with the times in AD 70.

    To me, if the 1,000 years must be a literal 1,000 years, then when God owns a thousand cattle or the cattle on a thousand hills...does his ownership stop at the 1,000th cow or the 1,000 hill?

    I DO believe that we die once and after this, the Bible says, the judgment. There is definitely a first resurrection, just as there is a "second death", which won't bother or touch us at all. If we are IN Christ.

    Gotta run to work. I'll be back later...
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

    "Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
    6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

    This has come up several times today in a cpl of threads. I've always interpreted this as physical, but some are saying the 1st resurrection is spiritual instead. How can this be? Should we also conclude that Jesus' resurrection was also spiritual, and not physical? I would think not. So why would we conclude the 1st resurrection in Rev 20 to be spiritual instead of physical?

    BTW, what exactly does it mean to be resurrected spiritually?
    Hi David,

    Would you agree that the 1000 years binding of Satan and the 1000 years reigning with Christ are the same 1000 years?

    Many Blessings,
    RW

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    Here is a passage of scripture that must be considered, I think.

    John 11:21-25
    21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

    22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.

    23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.

    24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

    25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

    26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

    Then, we can't ignore this:
    John 5:24-27
    24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

    25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

    26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

    27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

    Could it be...could it possibly be...the first resurrection has been happening for 2,000 years, and we haven't noticed? Because we have been looking for a coming, future resurrection of everyone at the same time?
    Greetings DD,

    Some haven't noticed. Since the first resurrection is spiritual; i.e. being born again of the Spirit, having been given Spiritual life, of course the first resurrection has been happening throughout the NT church era, or nearly 2,000 years. The future resurrection is bodily, and will happen at His Second Coming.

    Many Blessings,
    RW

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,173
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by divaD View Post
    Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
    5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
    6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.


    This has come up several times today in a cpl of threads. I've always interpreted this as physical, but some are saying the 1st resurrection is spiritual instead. How can this be? Should we also conclude that Jesus' resurrection was also spiritual, and not physical? I would think not. So why would we conclude the 1st resurrection in Rev 20 to be spiritual instead of physical?

    BTW, what exactly does it mean to be resurrected spiritually?
    Here is a great question.

    divaD---BTW, what exactly does it mean to be resurrected spiritually?
    If the resurrection was spiritual wouldn't that mean that the spirit was dead before hand? This would mean that believers, after being born again would then be spiritually dead. That seems an odd thought to me. You makes some good points

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,173
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    Here is a passage of scripture that must be considered, I think.

    John 11:21-25
    21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.

    22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.

    23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.

    24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

    25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

    26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?


    Then, we can't ignore this:
    John 5:24-27
    24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

    25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

    26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

    27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

    Could it be...could it possibly be...the first resurrection has been happening for 2,000 years, and we haven't noticed? Because we have been looking for a coming, future resurrection of everyone at the same time?
    If you continue to read in John I believe he answers your question.

    John 5:23-29 ( KJV )
    That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
    Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
    For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
    And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
    Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
    And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

    I don't believe all of those in the grave have been resurrected. I believe what Christ is referring to hear is the physical dead, just as Peter does.


    1 Peter 3:18-20 ( KJV )
    For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
    By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
    Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.


    1 Peter 4:5-6 ( KJV )
    Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
    For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

  14. #14
    Hi David

    I think we are alive with Christ which is spiritual a spiritual resurrection:
    These scriptures show our resurrection with Christ spiritually.(which is refered to as the first resurrection)

    Colossians 3:1
    If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
    Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
    For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
    When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

    Romans 6:

    2God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
    3Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
    4Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
    5For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: 6Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

    john 5
    24Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.(spiritual life)
    25Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live

    These scriptures show that there are a resurrection of All (physical second resurrection) This resurrection is of the Just and Unjust.


    John 5:
    28Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
    29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

    This second recurrection is of all mankind the Just and Unjust which is an physical resurrectiion. The only difference is the Just is of Christ (first resurrection) and the other is not of Chirst. "the rest live not again" This is speaking of the second death. Because they never was alive before spiritually.

    Beck

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    On the narrow path
    Posts
    1,861
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerW View Post
    Greetings DD,

    Some haven't noticed. Since the first resurrection is spiritual; i.e. being born again of the Spirit, having been given Spiritual life, of course the first resurrection has been happening throughout the NT church era, or nearly 2,000 years. The future resurrection is bodily, and will happen at His Second Coming.

    Many Blessings,
    RW
    If the first resurrection is spiritual only then explain the lack of few key things written in scripture.

    1. Where are all those whom were beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God?
    2. Where are who were killed for not worshiping the beast or his image?
    3. where are those who were killed for refusing to take the mark of the beast on their forehead and on their hand?
    4. explain when the mark of the beast was instituted in history and give evidence that this practice occurred?
    5. Explain why Satin is and has continued to rake havoc on this world when he was to be bound during the time between the first resurrection and the second?
    6. when was the war of Armageddon, where did it take place?
    7. Where is Jesus because He should be physically here ruling and reigning. If this is the first resurrection then Jesus already came back on the clouds, so when did this happen and how did all of history miss this?

    Way to many things missing from the whole picture to say that the first resurrection has happened or that it is only spiritual. Scripture tells us the the Holy Spirit as a pledge that all of this will happen (2 Cor. 5:5) . The Holy Spirit is not the end of the story, but rather just the beginning of all the wondrous things to come.
    I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
    Have you laid your burdens down?


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Mark, spiritual or physical or both.
    By Merton in forum End Times Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct 18th 2008, 04:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •