cure-real

Thread: Speaking in tongues

Speaking in tongues

When me and my family were on vacation we went to my Aunt and Uncle's church. There were people making all sorts of crazy noises and my mom said they were speaking in tongues. No one does this at my church. Is this normal or fake or do they have the devil in them? Thank you for the help.

Blog Entries
    Speaking in tongues is a gift of the Holy spirit. Some people do in deed fake it, but it is still a gift of the Spirit none the less.

1 Corinthians 12

4 ¶Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit.
    5 And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord.
    6 There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons.
    7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
    8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit;
    9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
    10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues.
    11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

Now many will say that the gift of tongues is the greatest of all Spiritual gifts, but the bible says just the opposite. Speaking in tongues is the least of the Spiritual gifts and prophecy is the greatest.

1 Corinthians 14

1 Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.
    2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.
    3 But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation.
    4 One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church.
    5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.
    6 ¶But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking in tongues, what will I profit you unless I speak to you either by way of revelation or of knowledge or of prophecy or of teaching?
    7 Yet even lifeless things, either flute or harp, in producing a sound, if they do not produce a distinction in the tones, how will it be known what is played on the flute or on the harp?
    8 For if the bugle produces an indistinct sound, who will prepare himself for battle?
    9 So also you, unless you utter by the tongue speech that is clear, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air.
    10 There are, perhaps, a great many kinds of languages in the world, and no kind is without meaning.
    11 If then I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be to the one who speaks a barbarian, and the one who speaks will be a barbarian to me.
    12 So also you, since you are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek to abound for the edification of the church.
    13 ¶Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.
    14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
    15 What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also.
    16 Otherwise if you bless in the spirit only, how will the one who fills the place of the ungifted say the "Amen" at your giving of thanks, since he does not know what you are saying?
    17 For you are giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not edified.
    18 I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all;
    19 however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.
    20 ¶Brethren, do not be children in your thinking; yet in evil be infants, but in your thinking be mature.
    21 In the Law it is written, "BY MEN OF STRANGE TONGUES AND BY THE LIPS OF STRANGERS I WILL SPEAK TO THIS PEOPLE, AND EVEN SO THEY WILL NOT LISTEN TO ME," says the Lord.
    22 So then tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to unbelievers but to those who believe.

So to answer the question. Yes it is OK to speak in tongues and we do not know what they are saying. If it it a true manifestation of the Spiritual gift then God knows what they are saying. This is generally now the Devil, but we who do not have the gift of interpretation have no real way of knowing either. My suggestion is to take your wondering to God in private through prayer and He will reveal whether it is a true manifestation of the Spirit or an impostor.
    I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
    Have you laid your burdens down?

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    When me and my family were on vacation we went to my Aunt and Uncle's church. There were people making all sorts of crazy noises and my mom said they were speaking in tongues. No one does this at my church. Is this normal or fake or do they have the devil in them? Thank you for the help.

Yes it's normal.
    Yes it could be fake.
    Not necessarily does it have to be the devil.
    This is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

and if you continue reading in chapter 14 of 1 Corinthians it says

If one speaks in a language, let it be by two, or at the most three, and in succession. And let one interpret. But if there is no interpreter, let him be silent in a church; and let him speak to himself and to God.
    [1Co 14:27-28 MKJV]

Also, some believe that the gift was for the Apostles and that the gifts have died along with them.
    Jesus Christ is The Way, The Truth, and The Life.

Soli Deo Gloria!

My Video's:
    http://www.youtube.com/thewoodsofjordan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanW View Post
    Also, some believe that the gift was for the Apostles and that the gifts have died along with them.
    Yes some do believe that they are no longer, but the bible says that all the gifts of the Spirit will continue until Jesus returns.

1 Corinthians 13

8 ¶Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.
    9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part;
    10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.
    11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.
    12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.
    13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.
    I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
    Have you laid your burdens down?

Tongues meaning "languages". Not some unintelligible holy speak. This is something that seems to not be acknowledged by some today.

Lets start out with the Book of Acts chapter 2 when we see "tongues" come into play.

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
    Act 2:5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven.
    Act 2:6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language.
    Act 2:7 And they were amazed and astonished, saying, "Are not all these who are speaking Galileans?
    Act 2:8 And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language?
    I think thats a key element often overlooked. It was in the native language that they heard.

Furthermore it was a fulfillment of prophesy as Peter later notes (Joel 2:28-32) in verse 16 and then quotes in verses 17-21. The sign of the languages led to Peter preaching which resulted in people being pierced to the heart in verse 37 then the call to repent and be baptised.

This sign was one of many preformed by the apostiles (v43)

In 1 Corinthians 12:7

1Co 12:7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
    Or as the KJV puts it "so that everyman profit withal" or "to produce what is beneficial" as the HCSB puts it. Overall we get the same idea from the translations.

When we are discussing the different gifts (v4) we acknowledge that these gifts come from one source to produce something that will profit the individual that is affected by it. Or in this case "hears it"

Lets look at 14

1Co 14:6 Now, brothers, if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching?
    1Co 14:7 If even lifeless instruments, such as the flute or the harp, do not give distinct notes, how will anyone know what is played?
    1Co 14:8 And if the bugle gives an indistinct sound, who will get ready for battle?
    How can one benefit from teaching or exhortation when one doesnt understand the one who is speaking?

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
    How can you be corrected if you cannot understand the one speaking? How can one be taught? How can there be teaching profitable to man? Which is what verse 9 goes into.

1Co 14:9 So with yourselves, if with your tongue you utter speech that is not intelligible, how will anyone know what is said? For you will be speaking into the air.

1Co 14:10 There are doubtless many different languages in the world, and none is without meaning,
    1Co 14:11 but if I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be a foreigner to the speaker and the speaker a foreigner to me.
    1Co 14:12 So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church.
    1Co 14:13 Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue should pray for the power to interpret.
    1Co 14:14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful.
    1Co 14:15 What am I to do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will pray with my mind also; I will sing praise with my spirit, but I will sing with my mind also.
    Why would the mind be unfruitful in verse 14? While there is a operation of the spirit taking place without an interpretor the words may fall on deaf ears except should a man hear it in his native language as in Acts.

1Co 14:16 Otherwise, if you give thanks with your spirit, how can anyone in the position of an outsider say "Amen" to your thanksgiving when he does not know what you are saying?
    1Co 14:17 For you may be giving thanks well enough, but the other person is not being built up.
    1Co 14:18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.
    1Co 14:19 Nevertheless, in church I would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

Again it profit not a man should he not understand what you are saying. That person cannot be built up because although there is an operation of the spirit taking place without interpretaton it is void to those that cannot understand it.

Look at verse 18 by itself. Isnt that something odd to say? At the end of Chapter 12 he tells us to desire greater gifts and then immediately talks about love for the whole of chapter 13. To me i see this issue arising because it was an issue that occured in the Corinthian church.

I can see that tongues were being used in a way where Paul had to give further instruction.

Take a look at the rest of 14 starting at verse 22 and continuing through 33.

1Co 14:22 Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is a sign not for unbelievers but for believers.
    1Co 14:23 If, therefore, the whole church comes together and all speak in tongues, and outsiders or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are out of your minds?
    1Co 14:24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all,
    1Co 14:25 the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you.
    If it is for unbelievers then why are we preaching in a church in front of believers? It was a sign and its occurrence was prophesied but was fulfilled in Acts.

Note verse 23. Has this not already occured? I have heard many accounts of unbelievers seening churches full of people using this "gift" and it winds up with the edification of no one. Nor is anyone built up. The conviction that occurs in verse 24 when he hears. That is how he can worship God.

Verse 26 reiterates that all things must be done for edification. Verse 27 shows the order that takes place.

1Co 14:28 But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.
    Often times there is no interpretation. It is done for show. To futher solidify that the person speaking is someone of God or saved by God or perhaps speaking for God. But they automatically violate the instruction in verse 28 and all the preceeding instruction spoken of.

1Co 14:29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.
    More over when something is said then there is a time for others to evaluate what has been said. At this point once we establish prophecy, its importance and instruction (14:1-33) we see the importance of this gift, how it can effect others but also the rules governing it.

These are things i consider when one claims that they have tongues. Man today in the mainstream evangelical church has, like the Corinthians, put an importance on a gift that is considered the least of gifts. It is oft abused and not applied scripturally and i think that needs to be taken into account.

Todays abuse causes newer Christians confusion, it makes a mockery of the worship service and the gift itself, it seems more focused on the individual boasting of the gift and is sometimes seen as a sign that someone is saved.

Not the formula that scripture lines out
    Quote Originally Posted by Job 34:19
    God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Blog Entries
    Just a quick addition to the subject;

There's nothing at all wrong with people genuinely "speaking in toungues". If it's real & from the Holy Spirit, then by all means welcome it.

BUT....

I just wanted to make sure you understand that it's NOT necessary for your salvation. It's also NOT the only indication that you've been born again & have the Spirit within you.

Some preachers/teachers/televangelists/authors (etc.) would lead you to believe otherwise..... but ALWAYS keep in mind what Jesus teaches us.
    And if someone says anything contradictory, then the question becomes: who is right? Jesus? or "so-and-so?"

Christ tells us "I am THE way, THE TRUTH and THE LIFE; No man comes to the Father but by ME".

So, don't be afraid of "speaking in tongues".

But...... pay attention to how much stock is put into your being able to do so.
    If a church is really pushing people to do it & making a huge deal out of whether someone can or can't, then I'd be concerned.

Not all of us have that gift.
    Some have other gifts.....

Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

otrclassic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Yes it is normal in some churches, is it Biblical? That has been debated for a long time and from reading Scriptures I would say no. Tongues in Scripture were languages not crazy noises. I do believe that from time to time a person can get the true gift of Tongues but I don't believe it happens a lot.

Blog Entries
    Like "otrclassic" said,
    ....I also don't think it's as common today as it once was.
    (At least in comparison to the time right after "Pentecost".

BUT.... I wouldn't call it "unbiblical".
    Scripture supports the fact that people spoke in "tongues".... (which would sound odd to the rest of us.)

The big debate usually becomes whether or not it's "necessary" today, or if it's the rule of measure to determine if you have the Spirit.

Hank Hanegraaff puts it into perfect perspective when he says,
    "....if sinners must first believe "sufficiently" and cleanse themselves "sufficiently" in order to receive (as a reward?) the Holy Spirit, why does the New Testament portray faith and sanctification as the result, not the basis, of receiving the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 12:3; Rom. 15:16; 2 Thess. 2:13)? "
    Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Thread Information