cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need advice re: JW mailing to my 8 yo stepson

need advice re: JW mailing to my 8 yo stepson

I'd like to solicit some advice from this group regarding my current situation.

My wife, who now has come to Jesus, is formerly a Jehovah's Witness. My stepson (8yo), who was born into that organization, still has a Grandmother who is actively a JW. Today in the mail, he got a package (addressed to him) from her which contained Jehovah Witness literature. Am I overreacting in being upset by this? Understand, that I've gone head to head with these folks (the JW) a number of times and do not want their literature in my home under any circumstances other than the situation where I have agreed to allow them to witness to me under the express understanding that I will be witnessing to them right back.

To be honest I'm a little infuriated by this, because I think it's typical JW tactics – that is to cower and hide from the individual who may give them a run for their money and instead focus their efforts on the week, destitute or feeble minded. In any event I feel as though this woman is attempting to subjugate my spiritual leadership of this family.

My first reaction was that I should reply to her mail by mailing some literature from my own church, but I think that this would be done in spite and not in the intention for which the literature was written. I don't wish to antagonize this woman and I haven't missed that this is actually an opportunity for me to witness to her. I'm considering writing to her and offering for her to witness to me, if she wishes to influence the spiritual direction of my family, but the JW literature sent to my stepson will have to stop and that if she can not agree to that that my wife and I will have to start censoring her mail. Is this too strong a response? I want to balance a loving Christian response with the firm statement that I will not allow the literature of this cult in my home except for the situation described above.

Any advice, prayer or relevant scripture would be deeply appreciated.

God Bless.
    "The greatest single cause of atheism in the
    world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus
    with their lips then walk out the door and deny
    Him by their lifestyles. That is what
    an unbelieving world simply
    finds unbelievable."

~ Brennan Manning

I can't really help with your specific issue; I just wanted to input one thing that happens in our family --- my mom (Grandma) is always trying to find a way to circumvent things that my sister chooses to limit in her kids' lives, and she would about this too if it was an issue. I guess what I'm trying to say is, you may be dealing with two issues.....the obvious religious one, and a grandmother who thinks it's her right to do as she pleases no matter how her daughter chooses to raise a child.

Blog Entries
    My advice would be to mail her a KJV Bible (cheap one cause she's gonna throw it away) and the literature she sent...on a note you could put: JESUS loves you this I know, cause this bible tells me so!!

That's all!

God bless you in your decision!
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

My testimony: http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=137007

Quote Originally Posted by livingwaters View Post
    My advice would be to mail her a KJV Bible (cheap one cause she's gonna throw it away)
    You know the ironic thing is that you're right - she would consider this bible to be contrary to the teaching of the WBTS, however the KJV is the translation that the Jehovah Witnesses used until 1950 which was the first publication of their own New World Translation.
    finds unbelievable."

~ Brennan Manning

Blog Entries
    Then maybe it will bring back the Truth, which is not what she's wanting to hear, but oh well....we have to point them to Jesus....you know, they will not read anything but their "own" bible; yet they are quick to try and shove their doctrine down everybody else's throats. One thing I must say about JW, they are BOLD....if we, as Christians would put as much effort into speaking God's Word to others, I think a REVIVAL could break out, world-wide!!! So, not out of spite, but just in seriously pointing to what Jesus says and not man, pray about sending it in love!

God bless!
    John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that HE gave HIS only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in HIM should not perish, but have eternal life.

Well yes, Bold to a point, but confront them with a question about the organization's history, the mistranslation of scripture, falsely identifying themselves as prophets, the number of JW children who have died because of the blood transfusion or organ transplant policy or point out any verse in scripture that contradicts their scripted witness to you and they run like they stole something. Their bold as long as their comfortable and their comfortable as long as you're willing to stick to their little 224 page book (entitled "What the bible really teaches") which they use to witness, but once off that track they become noticeably scarred to me and will need to escape the situation as soon as possible. JWs witness from scripts, practiced weekly in public within the kingdom hall (they call it theocratic ministry school). They witness the same way a telemarketer conducts a conversation with you - if they say this, then you say this, if this than this - and so forth. If you jump them off that flow chart they are trained to skedaddle! They can not witness from their own heart because the Holy Spirit does not guide their witness as He does yours or mine - the watchtower does.
    finds unbelievable."

~ Brennan Manning

Quote Originally Posted by stillforgiven View Post
    you may be dealing with two issues.....the obvious religious one, and a grandmother who thinks it's her right to do as she pleases no matter how her daughter chooses to raise a child.
    Understand that this is not my wife's mother - it's her ex mother-in-law. My wife's parents are also JW but have shunned her and have not contacted us since we were married.

I guess my question is then; should I let my wife contact this woman? She at least has had a previous relationship with her and it may do well to minimize the aggitation of this touchy situation. It just feels that as a Christian husband and father that this should be my job and that I would be kinda whimping out to let my wife do it.
    finds unbelievable."

~ Brennan Manning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Well yes, Bold to a point, but confront them with a question about the organization's history, the mistranslation of scripture, falsely identifying themselves as prophets, the number of JW children who have died because of the blood transfusion or organ transplant policy or point out any verse in scripture that contradicts their scripted witness to you and they run like they stole something. Their bold as long as their comfortable and their comfortable as long as you're willing to stick to their little 224 page book (entitled "What the bible really teaches") which they use to witness, but once off that track they become noticeably scarred to me and will need to escape the situation as soon as possible. JWs witness from scripts, practiced weekly in public within the kingdom hall (they call it theocratic ministry school). They witness the same way a telemarketer conducts a conversation with you - if they say this, then you say this, if this than this - and so forth. If you jump them off that flow chart they are trained to skedaddle! They can not witness from their own heart because the Holy Spirit does not guide their witness as He does yours or mine - the watchtower does.

I agree! I've been in debate with them before....as long as you'll listen or read their stuff, it's ok....but, boy when you mention or try to show them soemthing in your Bible, it's a whole new ballgame...you are right!

God bless!

Quote Originally Posted by livingwaters View Post
    ....you know, they will not read anything but their "own" bible;
    I know that it's probably not how you intended this statement, but it would bother me if I didn't point out that JWs are not encouraged to read and interpret the bible themselves. They are not prohibited from reading it, but are taught that they are not bright enough to understand God's word on it's own merit and need for it to be interpreted for them via the Watchtower and Awake magazines:

“Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe that they can interpret the Bible. For this reason the Bible cannot be properly understood without Jehovah’s visible organization in mind.”—The Watchtower, October 1, 1967, p. 587
    We all need help to understand the Bible, and we cannot find the Scriptural guidance we need outside the ‘faithful and discreet slave’ organization.”—The Watchtower, February 15, 1981, p. 19
    “We must not lose sight of the fact that God is directing his organization… To turn away from Jehovah and his organization, to spurn the direction of ‘the faithful and discreet slave,’ and to rely simply on personal Bible reading and interpretation is to become like a solitary tree in a parched land.”—The Watchtower, June 1, 1985, pp. 19-20
    “Furthermore, not only do we find that people cannot see the divine plan in studying the Bible by itself, but we see, also, that if anyone lays the SCRIPTURE STUDIES aside, even after he has used them, after he has become familiar with them, after he has read them for ten years—if he then lays them aside and ignores them and goes to the Bible alone, though he has understood his Bible for ten years, our experience shows that within two years he goes into darkness.” —The Watch Tower, September 15, 1910, p. 298, Watchtower Reprints, p. 4685
    It's scary scary stuff and I really don't want it in my home.
    finds unbelievable."

~ Brennan Manning

Blog Entries
    You're right....I didn't know they were taught they were illiterate...wow! That is even more scary!

if my son recievied reading material i considered inappropriate i would trash it and contact the sender and inform them what i did and would continue to do with any more of the same.

You're right....I didn't know they were taught they were illiterate...wow! That is even more scary!
    Isn't it? Like I said my wife is formally a JW and has struggled a long time to get out of that cultic mentality. I admire both her strength and the Lord's tenacity to do so. Because of this I've been particularly motivated to become aware of the Jehovah Witnesses, their theology and their organization's history. I've read a lot, about this organization. Both their own literature and what they would term "apostate" or anti-JW literature and I've agreed to have JWs come to my home for study for months at a time. This is an ongoing offer I make to any JW who wishes to do so, but I'm very up front about the fact that I believe that they are under the influence of a false prophet and that I fully intend to witness to them in turn. I don't claim to be a know it all, but I'm in the unique situation of both having studied with the JW and having studied the things which they forbid makes me a particular thorn in their side and I do feel called to witness to these people - frustrating as they are - I believe that God has called me to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by stepbystep View Post
    if my son recievied reading material i considered inappropriate i would trash it and contact the sender and inform them what i did and would continue to do with any more of the same.
    Agreed. I'm just trying to determine what's the most loving and Christian way I can do this. Should I be that matter of fact about it? or does that not only damage my stepson's relationship with his grandmother but also prevent me from giving this woman my witness?
    finds unbelievable."

~ Brennan Manning

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Understand that this is not my wife's mother - it's her ex mother-in-law. My wife's parents are also JW but have shunned her and have not contacted us since we were married.

I guess my question is then; should I let my wife contact this woman? She at least has had a previous relationship with her and it may do well to minimize the aggitation of this touchy situation. It just feels that as a Christian husband and father that this should be my job and that I would be kinda whimping out to let my wife do it.
    I did miss that detail, and it does change things. And I agree that as a Christian husband and father, it is your place to take point on this.

I'm sorry - I haven't read all the way through the thread but could you use the literature to show the 8 year old where the doctine is wrong and explain to him that we have to be careful and examine what we use as teaching guides?

Quote Originally Posted by Vhayes View Post
    I'm sorry - I haven't read all the way through the thread but could you use the literature to show the 8 year old where the doctine is wrong and explain to him that we have to be careful and examine what we use as teaching guides?
    Oh sure, we're very active in our own church. As a matter of fact my stepson just finished a week of vacation bible school before returning to school. I just don't want to put him in the position of having to choose between us and his grandmother and I'm afraid that no matter how I present it, it will appear that way.
    finds unbelievable."

~ Brennan Manning

Thread Information