cure-real
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Right thing for the wrong reason

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the dust of the Rabbi
    Posts
    717

    Right thing for the wrong reason

    Yesterday my wife's ex-mother-in-law (who is a Jehovah's Witness) sent my 8 year old step-son a package which contained among other things, some Jehovah Witness literature. I'm sore about it – to say the least, but am still trying to determine how to respond.


    What I'd really like to do is have him send a thank you note in a package which also contains literature from our church, but am afraid that this would be doing the right thing for the wrong reason. I don't have any problem disseminating information, it's a witnessing opportunity, but I afraid that if I did this it would be done with spite in my heart and not for the right reason.


    How sinful is it, do you think, to do something that is right, but to be motivated from something which is not (in my case spitefulness)?


    Any advice, similar experience, prayer or relevant scripture would be greatly appreciated.
    "The greatest single cause of atheism in the
    world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus
    with their lips then walk out the door and deny
    Him by their lifestyles. That is what
    an unbelieving world simply
    finds unbelievable."

    ~ Brennan Manning

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Arkansas,U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,512
    Could you or your explain to her what she done was wrong? I'm sure by now that she relizes that you all are not JW's and going another direction.A simple explaination over the phone should tell her how you feel abour her trying to detour your son's faith. I'm sorry,but what she done was wrong.It's one thing to send a adult liteature,but an 8 year old? I'd call her and tell her how it was wrong.

  3. #3
    yeah i don't see sending her a package in return out of spite would be the right think to do. and i'm not sure how it would help you witness to the lady.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the dust of the Rabbi
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by stepbystep View Post
    yeah i don't see sending her a package in return out of spite would be the right think to do. and i'm not sure how it would help you witness to the lady.
    I know. I know. I know! [/tantrum]

    It just would be so satisfying! I guess I know in my heart that the right thing to do is not the easy or satisfying thing here. I'm still in prayer about what exactly the right response will be and how to handle the literature (which he has seen, we never had cause to censor her mail before this) with my stepson.
    "The greatest single cause of atheism in the
    world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus
    with their lips then walk out the door and deny
    Him by their lifestyles. That is what
    an unbelieving world simply
    finds unbelievable."

    ~ Brennan Manning

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    23
    If it would be easier for you write her a letter when you have calmed down and have had time to pray about it.

    Then Sit down with your son and explaine about diferent beliefs and that Grandma just believes different from you do. God will help him as his faith growes stronger as to how to deal with grandmas beliefs and maybe he can show her the truth and get her to understand and come to Jesus someday.

    What does your husband feel and suggest?

    Sometimes afeter something like this I get stupid feelings to get even, or say something inappropriate, but after I calm down and pray they go away then I feel like a jurk for thinking something so dumb. Thank God I can laugh about it becasue I did listen to the Holy Spirits advice and do what He wanted me to do wwwhhheeeww!!! I know just intertaining the thought is a sin but sometimes you have a hard time controling those nasty thoughts...Prayer does help!!

    Deetiff
    Deetiff

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    2,104
    Hey Gypsy,

    i'm going to just hold my tongue on what i would do as you really seem to want to do the Godly thing here. It is pretty bad to sneak that kind of garbage to an eight year old though.

    Does she know that you are a Christian?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    12,023
    Everything that happens in life is a test.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the dust of the Rabbi
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by deetiff View Post
    If it would be easier for you write her a letter when you have calmed down and have had time to pray about it.

    Then Sit down with your son and explaine about diferent beliefs and that Grandma just believes different from you do. God will help him as his faith growes stronger as to how to deal with grandmas beliefs and maybe he can show her the truth and get her to understand and come to Jesus someday.
    That's good advice an I know what I'll have to do. If it weren't for the fact that he was eight, I'd say well I'm not afraid because I know that he is being exposed to the truth at home and the truth will prevail. I can't make his choice for him only do my best to show him the light and eventually he will need to choose to come to Jesus or not. When I study with the JW I'm not afraid, because I've known the love of Jesus in my heart. I know that I'm saved and that the Holy Spirit dwells inside me and guides my thoughts and speech when doing so. But he's 8 and just beginning his walk. Just starting to ask questions about these things. He's so vulnerable.

    Quote Originally Posted by deetiff View Post
    What does your husband feel and suggest?
    I'm not sure I understand. This is Solomon's Porch. I'm the husband. Do you mean what does my wife feel?
    Quote Originally Posted by deetiff View Post
    Sometimes afeter something like this I get stupid feelings to get even, or say something inappropriate, but after I calm down and pray they go away then I feel like a jurk for thinking something so dumb. Thank God I can laugh about it becasue I did listen to the Holy Spirits advice and do what He wanted me to do wwwhhheeeww!!! I know just intertaining the thought is a sin but sometimes you have a hard time controling those nasty thoughts...Prayer does help!!
    Again good advice. Thanks for your post.

    It is pretty bad to sneak that kind of garbage to an eight year old though.

    Does she know that you are a Christian?
    I agree and I don't know. My wife seems to think that this is just her way of expressing concern about whether or not the boy's spiritual needs are being addressed at all. If that's the case then I think the behavior is slightly more palatable, but still not acceptable.
    Last edited by Gypsy; Aug 26th 2009 at 11:34 AM.
    "The greatest single cause of atheism in the
    world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus
    with their lips then walk out the door and deny
    Him by their lifestyles. That is what
    an unbelieving world simply
    finds unbelievable."

    ~ Brennan Manning

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    23
    Ooops I thought Gypsy was a womans name....My Boo Boo.

    I think your son will be fine as long as you set a good Christ like example and continue with his Bible education show him the love of Christ. Eventually he will want to bring grandma around because he loves her and doesn't want to see her living without God. I tried to reach both of my parents for years and my daughter is the one who finally got through to them. They loved her so much they actually listened and accepted Jesus Christ.

    I was elated and they are both in heaven now....wwwhhheeewww!!!!

    I couldn't have done it....They always wanted to argue with me.
    I took a honest inocent child.

    My prayers will be with all of you in this matter!!!

    Deetiff
    Deetiff

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In the dust of the Rabbi
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by deetiff View Post
    Ooops I thought Gypsy was a womans name....My Boo Boo.
    Don't sweat it. I've gotten that before.
    Quote Originally Posted by deetiff View Post
    I think your son will be fine as long as you set a good Christ like example and continue with his Bible education show him the love of Christ. Eventually he will want to bring grandma around because he loves her and doesn't want to see her living without God.
    I think you're right. Really when you think about it, it's the only true witness we have to anyone, our children or otherwise - that is the example we set with our own lives.

    Quote Originally Posted by deetiff View Post
    I tried to reach both of my parents for years and my daughter is the one who finally got through to them. They loved her so much they actually listened and accepted Jesus Christ.

    I was elated and they are both in heaven now....wwwhhheeewww!!!!

    I couldn't have done it....They always wanted to argue with me.
    I took a honest inocent child.

    My prayers will be with all of you in this matter!!!

    Deetiff
    I've had a similar time with my folks. I guess it's tough to take spiritual direction from someone who's diaper you used to change or to offer witness to someone who has seen every fool thing that you have ever done in your life. I've taken the same approach with my folks as described above - that is to live my life the best Christian way I can and let the effect of that witness for me.

    God Bless and thanks for the prayers.
    "The greatest single cause of atheism in the
    world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus
    with their lips then walk out the door and deny
    Him by their lifestyles. That is what
    an unbelieving world simply
    finds unbelievable."

    ~ Brennan Manning

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •