cure-real

Thread: Family Computer

Family Computer

Hello. My mothers friend fixed our computer and i am wondering some things about it so if you could answer these questions and this siutation id be greatful. So today my mother got her friend to fix our computer. She told me that he already had the windows OP system at his house so he could put it on the computer after he fixed it. Now my question on this. Is it possible to give us a windows OP system without doing something illegal? She also told me he was putting a virus protecter on it. Now my question for this is can you have a virus protecter without paying for it? He put some songs on the computer aswell (i think music sharing is illegal not sure) So if you could answer these it would help me out or if i you could give me any tips on what to look for if theres any way to tell if these things are illegal. I should tell you that my mother is fine with this and she didn't pay him to fix it or anything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfMilk View Post
    Hello. My mothers friend fixed our computer and i am wondering some things about it so if you could answer these questions and this siutation id be greatful. So today my mother got her friend to fix our computer. She told me that he already had the windows OP system at his house so he could put it on the computer after he fixed it. Now my question on this. Is it possible to give us a windows OP system without doing something illegal?
    Only if he pays Microsoft the license fee. And then it is not free, it is a gift if he pays.
    She also told me he was putting a virus protecter on it. Now my question for this is can you have a virus protecter without paying for it?
    There are a number of free anti-virus programs available.
    He put some songs on the computer aswell (i think music sharing is illegal not sure) So if you could answer these it would help me out or if i you could give me any tips on what to look for if theres any way to tell if these things are illegal. I should tell you that my mother is fine with this and she didn't pay him to fix it or anything.
    I'll need to be as honest as I can here. Having played for years, this makes me shudder. Althugh people think that muscians are al lazy bums, writig a song, lyrics and score, can take weeks, months and sometime a year or more to pull together, we also play hour after hour that no one sees or knows about, making the number flow. There is a little free music but not very much.

I dont like 'getting' music like that either. But i live in a non-christian family so i cannot control what goes onto the family computer. All i can do is not use the featue (which i don't). I am not sure about the mircosoft thing tho. I doubt he paid a fee. Does it matter that i already own a copy of the windows disc? I don't see the need to remove the windows that the person installed then put on the exact same ones i have. Unless you think i should. Tho i am not sure my family would allow it. I don't know if the virus is an illegal version or a free legal version. Is there anyway to find this out just by looking at the program?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfMilk View Post
    I dont like 'getting' music like that either. But i live in a non-christian family so i cannot control what goes onto the family computer. All i can do is not use the featue (which i don't). I am not sure about the mircosoft thing tho. I doubt he paid a fee.
    ... I am going to assume something, even though that can be very dangerous. I often receive computers that are garbaged by Malware, Virus' and sometimes they need a mother board or a new drive and the people want Windows put back n it but they have lost their CD. For Windows XP I have an OEM disk instead of one directly from Microsoft. I'm assuming that your mom's friend does also. With an OEM copy of Windows, all a person needs to install a legal copy is the license number and that is attached to the machine when it is sold. This 25 digit, alpha-numeric, license number is most often found on the rear of the computer.
    Does it matter that i already own a copy of the windows disc?
    Yes and having the disk you need to get a felt tip permanent marker and record the 25 digit code from the Microsoft sticker on the disk. Without that code the disk is good for nothing more than sailing through the air at the local park.
    I don't see the need to remove the windows that the person installed then put on the exact same ones i have. Unless you think i should.
    No, I have assumed that he did the work correctly.
    Tho i am not sure my family would allow it. I don't know if the virus is an illegal version or a free legal version. Is there anyway to find this out just by looking at the program?
    Yes, look at the name and type it ito Google and follow the link to the companies web site, it wil tell you if it is legally free.

There is a great free operating System called Linux. And good thing is that most viruses dont attak it (but there are also free virus-scanners for it). There is also Open Office witch you can use instead of Word / Excel.

There is also such a thing as free musik. Also coping your own CD's on your hard-disk would be legeal.

Every musik who was recorded from the radio would be legeal (as the Licence Fee was already payed by the radio station) This would include songs from the internet-radio.

So music on the hard disk doesnt nessesarily have to be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by th1bill View Post
    ... I am going to assume something, even though that can be very dangerous. I often receive computers that are garbaged by Malware, Virus' and sometimes they need a mother board or a new drive and the people want Windows put back n it but they have lost their CD. For Windows XP I have an OEM disk instead of one directly from Microsoft. I'm assuming that your mom's friend does also. With an OEM copy of Windows, all a person needs to install a legal copy is the license number and that is attached to the machine when it is sold. This 25 digit, alpha-numeric, license number is most often found on the rear of the computer. Yes and having the disk you need to get a felt tip permanent marker and record the 25 digit code from the Microsoft sticker on the disk. Without that code the disk is good for nothing more than sailing through the air at the local park. No, I have assumed that he did the work correctly. Yes, look at the name and type it ito Google and follow the link to the companies web site, it wil tell you if it is legally free.
    I am not sure what you mean about the windows (or much of anything you told me. Not much of a computer wiz) thing. Do you think its fine to just leave it on the computer and let it be or should i try to find out more and do something with it (delete it or install the windows i already have)? Also on the virus site theres alot of options he could of used. The virus protecter is called mcafee so if you are filmuliar with it you could let me know.

I would highly recommend joining Sound & Spirit. I've been a member since January 1999, and have purchased almost 200 albums through them.

I wait until there is a good sale, and buy as many albums as I can afford, and usually end up averaging only around $7-8 per album.

I have plenty of music legally. I can put it on my computer, and my iPod too!

Quote Originally Posted by th1bill View Post
    Only if he pays Microsoft the license fee. And then it is not free, it is a gift if he pays. There are a number of free anti-virus programs available. I'll need to be as honest as I can here. Having played for years, this makes me shudder. Althugh people think that muscians are al lazy bums, writig a song, lyrics and score, can take weeks, months and sometime a year or more to pull together, we also play hour after hour that no one sees or knows about, making the number flow. There is a little free music but not very much.
    * Sola scriptura, sola gratia , sola fide, solas Christus, sola deo gloria
    * Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee -- Isaiah 26:3
    * vja4Him Apologetics Blogs

I have Open Office, or is it Neo Office ... ??? Works pretty good. I have a Mac, and sometimes I can't open files from PCs. So NeoOffice is a life saver ...

Quote Originally Posted by soli_deo_gloria View Post
    There is a great free operating System called Linux. And good thing is that most viruses dont attak it (but there are also free virus-scanners for it). There is also Open Office witch you can use instead of Word / Excel.

There is also such a thing as free musik. Also coping your own CD's on your hard-disk would be legeal.

Every musik who was recorded from the radio would be legeal (as the Licence Fee was already payed by the radio station) This would include songs from the internet-radio.

So music on the hard disk doesnt nessesarily have to be illegal.
    * Sola scriptura, sola gratia , sola fide, solas Christus, sola deo gloria
    * Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee -- Isaiah 26:3
    * vja4Him Apologetics Blogs

Thread Information