Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Living past 120 years?

  1. #1

    Living past 120 years?

    Is it true that the bible states that no one after moses will live more than 120 years. if so, where? i am positive that i'v read it somewhere in the bibile; and no, im not confusing it with the 120 years to repent before He sent the flood to destroy them. thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    946
    Blog Entries
    4
    I don't think I've seen that anywhere in the bible. Maybe you're thinking of this scripture:

    The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away. (Psalms 90:10)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    2,045
    If you notice shortly after the flood the age expectancy dropped quickly from 700-900 yrs. right down to around 120 yrs. and then seemed to take a smaller drop after Abraham.
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

  4. #4
    Genesis 6:3
    Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not put up with humans for such a long time, for they are only mortal flesh. In the future, their normal lifespan will be no more than 120 years.”

    In Psalm 90:10a we read of 70 years as a promise to us...
    Seventy years are given to us!
    Some even live to eighty...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    946
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperaux View Post
    Genesis 6:3
    Then the Lord said, “My Spirit will not put up with humans for such a long time, for they are only mortal flesh. In the future, their normal lifespan will be no more than 120 years.”
    What bible translation does that come from?

    I believe a hundred and twenty years in Genesis 6:3 was when God was to cause the flood.

  6. #6
    Genesis says Noah was 500, and had all three sons. Then we see God say that the time of their life shall not be more than 120 years. Then we are told God warned Noah of the flood, and in Noah's 600th year of life the flood came. We're even told of Shem's age after the flood: two years after the flood, Shem was 100... which would mean Shem was born when Noah was 502. Yet, God tells Noah to find his sons a wife each, so presumably God waited to tell Noah about the flood when his sons had become adults... which would be when Noah was about 520-525, at least. If God told Noah about the flood when he was 500, then the flood happened only 100 years later (when Noah was 600). Or, if God told Noah about the flood when he was about 520-525, the flood would have happened only 75-80 years later. 120 years just doesn't fit into how the book presents the events chronologically.

    It seems more reasonable to me that (a) God says man's life shall not be more than 120 years, then (b) following the flood, man's lifespan drastically shortens until, lo and behold, the oldest people live to an average of 120.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by nzyr View Post
    What bible translation does that come from?

    I believe a hundred and twenty years in Genesis 6:3 was when God was to cause the flood.
    I like to use the NLV fro clarity in these types of questions. Actually, all the versions I looked at are pretty straightforward that man was given a lower life span of 120 years in that verse. God was talking about man being flesh and that His spirit would not abide in them forever--that they would die younger.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    suburb of judea
    Posts
    1,229
    Of the lifespans and geneology it is interesting to note that Shem (Noah's son) outlived Abraham by roughly 75 years.


    There might also be typology being used in that section too.

    12 being the number for ordinal government and 10 being the number of fingers (hands) and the number of Commandments God gave us.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    946
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperaux View Post
    I like to use the NLV fro clarity in these types of questions. Actually, all the versions I looked at are pretty straightforward that man was given a lower life span of 120 years in that verse. God was talking about man being flesh and that His spirit would not abide in them forever--that they would die younger.
    I believe God was talking about bringing the flood onto the earth in 120 years.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by nzyr View Post
    I believe God was talking about bringing the flood onto the earth in 120 years.
    No version of Scripture even hints at that. To me that is a human construct, based on nothing at all.

  11. #11

    Changed My Mind

    Thanks Desperaux,

    I like it when I read something that makes me think. I even went into the Hebrew language too.

    For the last 10 years I have believed it meant man will not live past 120 years.

    Now I agree with "I believe God was talking about bringing the flood onto the earth in 120 years."

    Good to be open.


    Kylism

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylism View Post
    Thanks Desperaux,

    I like it when I read something that makes me think. I even went into the Hebrew language too.

    For the last 10 years I have believed it meant man will not live past 120 years.

    Now I agree with "I believe God was talking about bringing the flood onto the earth in 120 years."

    Good to be open.


    Kylism
    Yes it is! Thanks--I am seeing it now!

    Genesis 6:1-3
    1 When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose. 3 Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

    I do see the point of others, yes I do! I can see how God could easily be saying, "There is yet 120 years for man to live before I cut them off."

    On the other hand, I still lean toward the Lord cutting their lifespan back, as he is remarking on their mortality.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Oh, God, My Help in Ages Past, My Help in Years to Come
    By ConqueredbyLove in forum Devotions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jan 1st 2009, 07:12 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Dec 16th 2008, 08:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •