cure-real

Thread: intergrating religons?

intergrating religons?

Okay, i need some advice here. I'm christian and my soon to be exhusband is jewish. We now have a son that is ONE. I want to be able to intergrate both religons to my son. I WANT him to know JESUS. I know there is something called JEWS FOR JESUS, but I do not know much about it. I don't know how i am going to do this and it's been on my mind for some time. I do want to intergrate the "tradition" of the jewish faith along with christianity. Any thoughts? wHA

Messianic Jew.
    Jews who believe Christ is the Messiah.

question though if i intergrated the jewish faith and christianity faith would i think be called a jew for jewish? or is messianc jewish appriopriate? I thought this was only for people of jewish decent. I'm confused

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mommyz View Post
    question though if i intergrated the jewish faith and christianity faith would i think be called a jew for jewish? or is messianc jewish appriopriate? I thought this was only for people of jewish decent. I'm confused
    Here's an odd way to put it. If Jesus had been accepted by the Jewish community as the Messiah, there would be no such thing as Christianity (I don't think, anyway). It would have just continued as Judaism.

What you call yourself is between you, your family, your faith community and God. However, it sounds as if the religious world in general would consider you technically Christian, even if you call yourself a Messianic Jew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messianic_Judaism

Blog Entries
    Okay, i need some advice here. I'm christian and my soon to be exhusband is jewish. We now have a son that is ONE. I want to be able to intergrate both religons to my son. I WANT him to know JESUS. I know there is something called JEWS FOR JESUS, but I do not know much about it. I don't know how i am going to do this and it's been on my mind for some time. I do want to intergrate the "tradition" of the jewish faith along with christianity. Any thoughts? wHA
    If my momory serves correct, Jews don't believe Jesus was the Son of God, and not the Messiah. You however, do, as a Christian. So your child will hear two seperate things growing up and, if it were me have nothing to do with either on purpose. (Eek! hope that doesn't sound to bad, sorry.)

Not knowing enough of the situation your in I could only put in put 2 cents. I would raise the child Christian, but let him realize why you are Christian. For me growing up it was pretty dogmatic, no one told me why, and I think this is important, especially now days.

I guess...but definatly the best thing is to raise him knowing what you believe and why. He will have to make the decision one day for himself.

Proverbs 22:6
    Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

GodBless.

Thank you for your thoughts. You do address a good point regarding WHY i am christian

Welcome to Bibleforums, mommyz.

I would suggest more in-depth research on both Jews for Jesus (official link, and Wikipedia) and Messianic Judaism (and the "movement") in general (Wikipedia links).
    from article:
    Although some Messianic Jews are ethnically Jewish, and argue that Messianic Judaism is a sect of Judaism, the various streams of Judaism are unanimous in their rejection of Messianism as a form of Judaism, and both Christians and Jews consider Messianic Judaism to be a form of Christianity.
    Initially and historically Jews who accepted Jesus as the Jewish messiah were termed Christians or Hebrew Christians. Today they are generally tought of as Messianic Jews; but the understanding of them as such can get rather complicated, especially since it's estimated that as much as 80-90% of membership in Messianic Judaism is comprised of non-ethnic Gentile Christians, and both religious and non-religious Jews generally have a very strong negative reaction toward both Jews for Jesus and Messianic Judaism.

Still, it's perhaps the best option open to you, as a Christian, in seeking to integrate Jewish tradition with Christian faith in the upbringing of you son. If you're in the Houston area, it offers several Messianic congregations, which may prove beneficial to visit. Here are a few of their official websites: Congregation Beth Messiah, Bat-Tzion, Beth Yeshua HaMasiach. Both Jews for Jesus and Messianic Judaism are facing some interesting challenges and crossroads on matters of practice and theology, so I'd advise doing some homework before jumping in. But many Christians in regular congregations are enjoying a re-connectivity with the Jewish roots of Christianity, and reevaluations of such are indeed offering some very beneficial perspectives to main-stream Christianity.

Speaking as a person that grew up in a Born-Again Christian household. Talk is cheap - and kids see this fact early and often. The only thing you can do is to live your life walking with Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit on a daily basis. If you do this - your child will see the Word in your life and it will not return void. But if you talk about the power of Jesus and go to church every Sunday but don't live the life at home - your kid will surely be put off.

You can pray that he will come to know Jesus himself in God's time.

Please forgive the question, but isn't a Jew for Jesus a Christian?

I've read the Statement of Faith from the website reccomended by grit and aside from the following:

We believe that Israel exists as a covenant people through whom God continues to accomplish His purposes and that the Church is an elect people in accordance with the New Covenant, comprising both Jews and Gentiles who acknowledge Jesus as Messiah and Redeemer.
    it could easily be a born again Christian church's.
    "The greatest single cause of atheism in the
    world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus
    with their lips then walk out the door and deny
    Him by their lifestyles. That is what
    an unbelieving world simply
    finds unbelievable."

~ Brennan Manning

Thread Information