Thread: The Bosom of the Father

The Bosom of the Father

Jn 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared Him."

In the bosom of the Father? What does this mean to you?

God bless,

Z.
    "Unto you therefore which believe, He is precious" (1 Peter 2:7)

One of the names of God is El Shaddai, which in Hebrew meant, "the one with great, dangling breasts". Weird, I know, but it was a word picture describing Him as the one who alone could and desired to gather up His children, nestle their faces into His chest, and provide them their sustenance. For Jesus to be "in the bosom of the Father", then, was a Hebrew-ism that meant that He was ever leaning upon the Father, looking only to Him for provision.
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Christ, being God, dwells in the very center, the very heart of the Father.
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Quote Originally Posted by ZAB View Post
    Jn 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared Him."

In the bosom of the Father? What does this mean to you?

God bless,

Z.
    Thanks for the input everyone. Perhaps this phrase is also referring to the constant fellowship Jesus had with His Father, that is, His proximity to, personal union with, and enjoyment of the Father's love.

Z.

So, upon the cross, Jesus lost that union? He said to His Father, "Why hast thou forsaken me?" Because God cannot behold sin? Is this an accurate statement?

Z.

So, upon the cross, Jesus lost that union? He said to His Father, "Why hast thou forsaken me?" Because God cannot behold sin? Is this an accurate statement?

Z.
    There was no lost union within the Triune God, because Jesus offered Himself to the Father through the Spirit (Heb. 9:14).

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Z.
    No lost union....no lost communion between the Father and the Son.

Unfortunately, this is a teaching that is becoming more and more popular today.

You hear it quite a bit, but it is a incorrect; and ultimately dangerous doctrine.

"The Father turned His Head"...
    "The Father looked away from the Son"...
    "The Father broke relationship with the Son when He took our sins"...

And other similar variations.

None of that is what the Scripture is intending when Jesus said, "My God, My God why have you forsaken me?"

That was not what Jesus' intent was in saying that statement.

What was it?

He was bringing to mind a Messianic Psalm that was written specifically about Him.

Jesus was telling all people there, the Scribes and Pharisees, the Roman Soldiers, the people of Jerusalem, and all people forever through history who would read of this event...that:

• the fulfillment of their long awaited Messiah had occurred;
    • He was that Messiah, and
    • He was fulfilling the prophetic words of King David written a thousand years ago.

By quoting that one statement of David from Psalms....Jesus was emphatically stating to all who would hear present there, and all people down through the centuries thereafter who would read that passage from Holy Scriptures; that He was GOD's Son!!!

He wasn't whining because God left Him.
    He wasn't whining because God abandoned Him.
    He wasn't crying out to God selfishly.

He was Pointing all people of all time, to the Scriptures that foretold Jesus of Nazareth is the Son of God.

Here is what Jesus' cry pointed to:

Matt 27:46 "Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
    Mark 15:34 "Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Pointing humanity here: ---->

Psalms 22

• 1 "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

• 6 "I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people."

• 7a "All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip,

• 7b "they shake the head, saying, He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him"

• 12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.

• 13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

• 14a I am poured out like water, and

• 14b all my bones are out of joint:

• 14c my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

• 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

• 16a For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me:

• 16b they pierced my hands and my feet.

• 17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

• 18a They part my garments among them, and

• 18b cast lots upon my vesture.

• 22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.

• 24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

• 25 My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation:

• 26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.

• 27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.

That's why Jesus shouted, "My God, my God why has thou forsaken me"!!!

To point the calvary audience, and everyone else down through the ages to Psalms 22 to see that He was the perfect fulfillment of it, written 1000 years before His crucifixion by King David.....to boldly verify and proclaim Jesus of Nazareth to be the Eternal, Resplendent, Holy One!

Excellent post David. Sorry I couldn't rep you. I'm all tapped out.

Quote Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
    No lost union....no lost communion between the Father and the Son.

Unfortunately, this is a teaching that is becoming more and more popular today.

You hear it quite a bit, but it is a incorrect; and ultimately dangerous doctrine.

"The Father turned His Head"...
    "The Father looked away from the Son"...
    "The Father broke relationship with the Son when He took our sins"...

And other similar variations.

None of that is what the Scripture is intending when Jesus said, "My God, My God why have you forsaken me?"

That was not what Jesus' intent was in saying that statement.

What was it?

He was bringing to mind a Messianic Psalm that was written specifically about Him.

Jesus was telling all people there, the Scribes and Pharisees, the Roman Soldiers, the people of Jerusalem, and all people forever through history who would read of this event...that:

• the fulfillment of their long awaited Messiah had occurred;
    • He was that Messiah, and
    • He was fulfilling the prophetic words of King David written a thousand years ago.
    By quoting that one statement of David from Psalms....Jesus was emphatically stating to all who would hear present there, and all people down through the centuries thereafter who would read that passage from Holy Scriptures; that He was GOD's Son!!!

He wasn't whining because God left Him.
    He wasn't whining because God abandoned Him.
    He wasn't crying out to God selfishly.

He was Pointing all people of all time, to the Scriptures that foretold Jesus of Nazareth is the Son of God.

Here is what Jesus' cry pointed to:

Matt 27:46 "Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
    Mark 15:34 "Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Pointing humanity here: ---->

Psalms 22

• 1 "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

• 6 "I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people."

• 7a "All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip,

• 7b "they shake the head, saying, He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him"

• 12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.

• 13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

• 14a I am poured out like water, and

• 14b all my bones are out of joint:

• 14c my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

• 15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

• 16a For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me:

• 16b they pierced my hands and my feet.

• 17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

• 18a They part my garments among them, and

• 18b cast lots upon my vesture.

• 22 I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.

• 24 For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

• 25 My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation:

• 26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.

• 27 All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before thee.

That's why Jesus shouted, "My God, my God why has thou forsaken me"!!!

To point the calvary audience, and everyone else down through the ages to Psalms 22 to see that He was the perfect fulfillment of it, written 1000 years before His crucifixion by King David.....to boldly verify and proclaim Jesus of Nazareth to be the Eternal, Resplendent, Holy One!
    Good explanation

So, you're saying that a certain "forsaking" by God did not occur? And that this "forsaking" (whether actual or imaginary) had nothing to do with Jesus' statement other than to point His hearers to Psalm 22?

thanks,

Z.

I completely disagree. Jesus became Sin on our behalf. He would not have quoted that verse if He did not mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by astrongerthanhe View Post
    I completely disagree. Jesus became Sin on our behalf. He would not have quoted that verse if He did not mean it.
    hi,

so then what did you mean by "there is no lost union" in your previous post (post #6)?

thanks,

Z.

Jesus, in His humanity, was in anguish. He was crying out to God (I think the only time He doesn't call Him "Father") to hear His supplications, to have mercy upon Him, to deliver Him as God had once delivered the fathers in times past. There is no mention of the psalmist in ch.22 being a sinner - he's asking "why" to God because he was without sin; he demanded that justice be done in his favor. The Son felt "forsaken" due to the Father's silence, but God had not hidden His face from Him (v.24).

My God, My God, why have you forsaken me....means just that..along with the darkness upon the land. And yes it is a fulfillment of the Psalm as well.
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Literally means lap, like John at the last supper, but "in" would mean "at" or "next to" in a meal context.

Thread Information