cure-real
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent?

Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent?

God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent... right?

If He is everywhere at once, how could He be heard walking in the Garden of Eden? (Gen 3:8)

There are dozens and dozens of scriptures referring to God's "foreknowledge" and that He knows all things. Why then must He ask man questions? Just examples I have on hand:
    Adam & Eve eating the fruit: Gen 3:11
    Where is your brother? Gen 4:9

While I don't have specific references, how can God then be influenced by man? Moses convinces God to forsake his wrath on the Isrealites in Numbers (and maybe Leviticus?), such as when he comes down from Mount Sinai (even though he orders the Isrealites to slaughter 3,000 of the idol-worshippers anyway).

Is there explicit biblical support for God being "omniscient" and "omnipresent," or do we just use these terms to refer to the compilation of scripture that displays God's might? Cite references please

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottWoods View Post
    God is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent... right?

If He is everywhere at once, how could He be heard walking in the Garden of Eden? (Gen 3:8)
    It's seems likely that God can take the form of a man.

There are dozens and dozens of scriptures referring to God's "foreknowledge" and that He knows all things. Why then must He ask man questions? Just examples I have on hand:
    Adam & Eve eating the fruit: Gen 3:11
    Where is your brother? Gen 4:9
    God frequently asks questions, that are rhetorical. Consider John 6:1-14, where Jesus feeds 5000 people.
    “He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do.”

While I don't have specific references, how can God then be influenced by man? Moses convinces God to forsake his wrath on the Isrealites in Numbers (and maybe Leviticus?), such as when he comes down from Mount Sinai (even though he orders the Isrealites to slaughter 3,000 of the idol-worshippers anyway).
    I don't believe God can be moved or influenced by man. I believe that although it appears that way, God inspired the writing of the BIble in a certain manner to get his point across.

Is there explicit biblical support for God being "omniscient" and "omnipresent," or do we just use these terms to refer to the compilation of scripture that displays God's might? Cite references please
    1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. If God created the Heavens and the Earth. He existed prior to their creation and he exists outside of his creation. So he exists outside of the Heavens and the earth.

Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.
    Psalm 139

blessings,

tt1106

Omnipresence means that everything is in God's presence, not that God is present everywhere.
    You were made to think. It will do you good to think; to develop your powers by study. God designed that religion should require thought, intense thought, and should thoroughly develop our powers of thought.

Charles G Finney

http://holyrokker.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by holyrokker View Post
    Omnipresence means that everything is in God's presence, not that God is present everywhere.
    You are wrong. (15 characters)

Blog Entries
    God is the alpha and omega and knows the end from the beginning.

If you know the end from the beginning, then that implies omniscience.

The cool thing about being the alpha and omega, and actually being the beginning and the end, is that you can be everywhere at once (including in the dimension of time and whatever other dimensions exist) and know everything at once.

Because God is.

I AM.

He is always right here, right now.

How?

I haven't got a clue.

Which actually means something far beyond mere omniscience and omnipresence, but those two terms should serve us well enough for our little brains to comprehend, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by tt1106 View Post
    This is seriously all you can say? Since we're in, you know, Bible Chat, can you throw in some Scripture to support your perspective, as opposed to just dropping out "you are wrong"?

Blog Entries
    ... Google is your best friend as a Christian searching for knowledge, by adding the word "Bible" to a search it is all revealed for you.
    ... The scriptures, inspired by God, have taught us the character traits of God as well as His spiritual characteristics. Every time God has asked a man a question it has been for the man's benefit. Every time one of these questions are asked it is a good idea to read the entire chapter ad it often a very good idea to read the book to get further input on the thought.

Blog Entries
    The view of Stanley Grenz and others (which as theologians who've adopted postmodernism, I don't give their views much weight). Charles Hodge's view (Systematic Theology) would be that, "as God acts everywhere, He is present everywhere; for, as the theologians say, a being can no more act where he is not than when he is not." This would be a view consonant with 'classic' theologians (i.e. Augustine, Aquinas, etc).

Blog Entries
    If everything is in God's presence then wouldn't that mean that God is present everywhere?

1 Kings 8:27a But will God really dwell on earth? the heavens, even the highest heaven, cannot contain you...

Theophilus wrote: "This is the attribute of God, the Highest and Almighty, and the living God: not only to be everywhere present, but also to see all things and to hear all things. He is by no means to be confined in a place. For if he were, then the place containing Him would be greater than He....For God is not contained, but is Himself the place of all.
    Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
    Psalm 62:5

Blog Entries

Is there explicit biblical support for God being "omniscient"
    Hebrews 4:3 There is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

I John 3:20 God is greater than our heart, and knows all things.

And if we truly understood that in our heart wouldn't our sin grieve us all the more.
    Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
    Psalm 62:5

Quote Originally Posted by tt1106 View Post
    So that's how you give a brief response that fits within the 15 character minimum!

Please tell me why you disagree with my statement. I thought it sounded good.
    You were made to think. It will do you good to think; to develop your powers by study. God designed that religion should require thought, intense thought, and should thoroughly develop our powers of thought.

Charles G Finney

If God is everywhere, is He in Hades?

Charles G Finney

Blog Entries
    If God is everywhere, is He in Hades?
    Yes.

Psalm 139:8
    If I ascend into heaven, You are there;If I make my bed in hell (sheol, hades), behold, You are there.

Hades/hell isn't the absence of God's presence. It's the presence of God's judgment. For our God is a consuming fire, yes?

Great Scriptures showing the Omni-xxxxness of God folks.

Keep shining the light of truth with the Words of Life!!!!!

Job 34:21 "For His eyes are upon the ways of man, and He seeth all his goings."

Deuteronomy 4:39 "the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else."

Psalms 139:7
    "Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?"

Job 38:31 "Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? Canst thou bring forth Mazzaroth in his season? or canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons? Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?"

• A Rhetorical question whose answer is: NOWHERE; God is Omnipresent.

Matthew 28:18 "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth."

• All-Power in heaven and earth; God is Omnipotent.

I John 3:20 "God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things."

• God knows all things; God is Omniscient.

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.
    Just because God is present in a time/space continuum does not mean that His creation in that same time/space continuum necessarily experience his presence.

So, God can be "present" in the lake of fire, such presence would not change his nature, but the sinner or Satan there would not necessarily be able to experience the presence or relationship with God in that place.

Thread Information