This isn't to accuse anyone but just to remind us how to speak to and treat one another.
When Discussing am I doing it to..
- present truth
- defend truth
- clarify truth
- learn truth
- correct falsehoods
Does being right or getting my point across mean more to me than learning something new or helping my brother learn something new?
Here is some related scripture
- "Jesus died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for Him who died for them and was raised again." (2 Corinthians 5:15)
- “Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.” (Romans 15:2)
- “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.” (Romans 12:10)
- "Let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works .. encourage one another" (Hebrews 10:24)
- "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." -Philippians 1:27
- God said to Job, "Would you indeed annul my justice? Would you declare me guilty so that you might be right?" (Job 40:8)
- Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. -2 Timothy 2:23-24
- Avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. -Titus 3:9
- Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. -2 Timothy 2:14
- Command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God's work—which is by faith. -1 Timothy 1:3-4
- Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. -2 Timothy 2:16
- For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God -2 Corinthians 10:4-5
This is all for Christ and His kingdom. Avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, do not quarrel, be gentle to all, be patient, correct in humility.
Anyone else have any scripture or self-examining questions on this topic?