cure-real

Thread: Impatience and Quick Temper a Poor Example

Impatience and Quick Temper a Poor Example

I just want to share that I believe when parents lose their patience with children and have a quick temper, it sets a bad example for our children. And then we wonder why our children have difficulty being patient and getting angry easily. The parents taught them this by example. Telling our children to control their anger while we ourselves are not doing it is ineffective. Also, our children will wonder about our Christian testimony if we act one way at church, than at home behind closed doors the situation is the opposite. Our children will view us as hypocrites.

I have heard it said that who we are at home, is who we really are.

As for impatience and a quick temper... the fix - Jesus. Yes, Jesus.

Somehow (I know how), when we draw close to the Lord, our flaws start to go away. When we drift away from Jesus, they reappear.

James 4:7 KJV
    Submit yourselves therefore to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Romans asked the question "you who teach others have you not taught yourselves?" Before you remove the speck out of your brothers eyes, first remove the beam out of yours. I agree with you whole-heartedly. If we don't want our children to use certain language, we should lead by example. Being an Adult nor Grace gives us an excuse to do otherwise.

Blog Entries
    CS Lewis said 'if you want to know a man's true character, watch him when he thinks he's alone.'

Just last week at church I saw a father yanking his kids arm in a fury out the door. I had just got there and was all 'churched up' and stolked only to incounter this. Man, if your gonna be an anger dad at church you got problems. Some parents I just want to sit down with and tell them to check themselves before they wreck themselves, (and their kids).

Many parents should not be parents.

Blog Entries
    Someone told me years ago, "Parents do the best they can for their kids for where they are in life". As Christians, what are we doing for these parents?...discipleship/mentorship/small groups etc...

Sometimes empathic listening can help, especially in the moment

I saw a father yanking his kids arm in a fury out the door.
    Using this as an example. If someone had said, "It looks like you've got your hands full". That may have de-esculated the situation because someone has empathy for him. Then a conversation can be carried on or some help provided for the kids. It can be a challenge to do these things especially in church as we don't often see people act this way and we're taken aback.
    Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
    Psalm 62:5

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemetal View Post
    CS Lewis said 'if you want to know a man's true character, watch him when he thinks he's alone.'

Just last week at church I saw a father yanking his kids arm in a fury out the door. I had just got there and was all 'churched up' and stolked only to incounter this. Man, if your gonna be an anger dad at church you got problems. Some parents I just want to sit down with and tell them to check themselves before they wreck themselves, (and their kids).

Many parents should not be parents.
    I'm sure that episode looked bad to unsaved people who came to seek God.

Thread Information