cure-real
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is cremation wrong?

Is cremation wrong?

Is there anything in the Bible that talks about being cremated? I've been thinking that is what I want instead of being buried. My kids are having a problem with it and says it's wrong somehow. Any help on this would be appreciated.
    Beverly

Quote Originally Posted by peacewithin View Post
    Is there anything in the Bible that talks about being cremated? I've been thinking that is what I want instead of being buried. My kids are having a problem with it and says it's wrong somehow. Any help on this would be appreciated.
    Beverly
    Short answer: No. The Bible says that there is nothing wrong with being cremated.

Long answer: No, there is no Biblical command against being cremated, although I believe it is important to think about what kind of message you are sending through your funeral (yes, I do think about these kind of things!).

When you cremate, are you saying that you are done with your body, and that physical things don't really matter? If so, you are making the mistake of gnosticism. Physical things do matter, and one day your body will be re-created, at the resurrection. I'm going to be buried, because I want the people at my funeral to know that they should "watch this space".

EDIT: There are some Christians who say that you shouldn't be cremated because God won't be able to resurrect you. If my God had a problem re-creating me from some ashes, then I'm sure that he would have even more trouble creating the world from nothing!
    What is thy only comfort in life and death?

That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.

Blog Entries
    Your dead, what's it matter? It's just a finite body, used to transport our soul in this life.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemetal View Post
    Your dead, what's it matter? It's just a finite body, used to transport our soul in this life.
    But the message of the Scriptures is that matter matters. The bodies we live in today will be resurrected, physically, on the last day.

Like I said, we need to be on the lookout in case we fall into semi-gnosticism. The flesh isn't just a vessel for the soul, brother. It's God's good creation which one day will be further clothed in immortality (2 Cor 5:4).

That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.

Blog Entries
    As far as I'm concerned they can throw mine in a dumpster when I'm done with it. nothing but a worthless, unglorified bag-o-bones once the spirit of life has vacated.

A good friend of mine passed last month due to a sudden diabetic seizure and his funeral was open-casket. It was the first dead body I had seen since losing my grandfather when I was 8. As I walked past his remains it struck me how 'empty' his body looked. There was nothing remotely close to resembling my friend Howie in that casket. It didn't look asleep, or passed out, or in a coma...it looked void of life...all used up...an empty vessel.

The upgrade to the glorified model should be quite the treat.
    As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

I think we will get new bodies so it does not matter what happens to this one when we are dead.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperReformanda View Post
    But the message of the Scriptures is that matter matters. The bodies we live in today will be resurrected, physically, on the last day.

Like I said, we need to be on the lookout in case we fall into semi-gnosticism. The flesh isn't just a vessel for the soul, brother. It's God's good creation which one day will be further clothed in immortality (2 Cor 5:4).
    Yes, the dead will be raised physically. But not just buried people.

Think of those Christians who were eaten by sharks and digested and turned into shark "waste" at the bottom of the sea. They will be resurrected.

Think of those like Abraham and the five other people buried with him in the cave of Machpelah. I'm certain that even their bones have turned to dust by now.

Not every one of God's people is buried in a vaccum sealed casket, preserving their bodies.

God can resurrect anyone from anywhere.

I have people in my own family who believe that cremation sends you to hell. My own parents struggle with it.

I had NO IDEA that they believed this until they asked me once if I wanted to buy a burial plot next to theirs and I told them that I wanted to be cremated. They freaked out.

My Dad refuses to talk about it. He says that he will be long gone and I can do what I want then.

So we don't talk about it.
    ".....it's your nickel"

Quote Originally Posted by jayne View Post
    Yes, the dead will be raised physically. But not just buried people.

Think of those Christians who were eaten by sharks and digested and turned into shark "waste" at the bottom of the sea. They will be resurrected.
    Totally agreed. Read my original reply above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
    As far as I'm concerned they can throw mine in a dumpster when I'm done with it. nothing but a worthless, unglorified bag-o-bones once the spirit of life has vacated.
    Brother, I think you should seriously reconsider your position. This is simple gnosticism - remember that your body is God's good creation. God created it and said "It is good"! The Christian hope isn't "pie in the sky when we die", it is physical:

But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.
    (Php 3:20-21 ESV)

If bodies are nothing but worthless bags of bones, then why did Jesus need to be physically resurrected? Why didn't he just appear as a Spirit and float off to heaven? Why did he get hungry?

Deut 21:23 God told his people to bury their dead.

Remember, in those days pagan nations used all kinds of pagan rituals involving cremation ceremonies of both the living and the dead.

Also, burning people is a representation of God's judgment. Lev 20:14 & 21:9 & Josh 7:15.

And our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost, 1 Cor 6:19-20.

It comes down to personal choice for each believer. You want the old school God instructed Israelite burial ceremony with a body, or a 21st century ancient pagan practice influenced burial ceremony with ashes?

By the way, I might choose cremation myself, even though the symbolism is not the good choice. It's cheaper as of now.

Brother, I think you should seriously reconsider your position. This is simple gnosticism - remember that your body is God's good creation. God created it and said "It is good"! The Christian hope isn't "pie in the sky when we die", it is physical:

But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.

If bodies are nothing but worthless bags of bones, then why did Jesus need to be physically resurrected? Why didn't he just appear as a Spirit and float off to heaven? Why did he get hungry?
    I agree with my Reformed friend here. I'm really shocked by some of the posts in this thread.

The reason I asked is this. When I lost my dear Mother three years ago my sister and I had such a hard time with the whole process. From picking out the flowers, the paper obituary, the details at the funeral home, the viewing and on and on. Then we had to clean out her things and find someone to give her clothes to and to be honest I don't wish to put my daughters through that. It still hurts us to this day to talk about our mom and how we miss her so bad still.
    My girls will be so grief stricken and maybe I'm trying to protect them from what we had to go through with mom. Also they are totally against cremation but after reading your posts I don't know what to do. I'm 56 and in fairly good health but we never know when our last day on earth will be. Thank you all for your replies.
    Beverly

I'm going to be buried, because I want the people at my funeral to know that they should "watch this space".
    I love it! It would be awesome if you actually had that written on your headstone. Not sure I want to be 6 feet under, though. May be hard to get out. Just kidding. I'm thinking that our new bodies will be much like Jesus'. He didn't need a door when He visited the disciples post resurrection. (Totally off from o/p. Sorry!)
    Tami (always learning, continually growing, constantly seeking)

Revelation 19:13 "And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God."

Blog Entries

I did reconsider...and ended up here. He wasn't physically resurrected in his old body, like Lazarus and the little boy, He was resurrected into a new, glorified body...one that will never die. The body I am in now is rotting away as we speak. yes, as long as I occupy it then it is a temple, but once my spirit vacates the premises then it is no longer holding the Holy Spirit and is therefore no longer a temple. At that point it begins returning to dust. It doesn't mean I don't think the resurrected bodies will be physical, they will be...physically perfect I might add.

Blog Entries

Why did he get hungry?
    Chapter and verse, please.

I know He ate, but I don't remember reading anything about Him actually getting hungry. If He DID get hungry, does that mean that He needs food to sustain himself physically? And if so, does that mean that if he doesn't eat he will physically die?

Perhaps it is you who needs to reconsider.

Thread Information