cure-real

Thread: What are the rules??

What are the rules??

I was reading along today and came across something that really stuck with me and I would really like some input.

2Timothy 2: 1-6

"You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier. And if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. "

Ok....... this is a call to evangelize and teach. We are at war with an adversary that has no rules, but we have to play by the rules. That is well and good, but what exactly are the set of rules that Paul is referring to?

I am thinking that maybe he means we have to teach with sound and correct doctrine. Am I on the right track?

The red verse seems like a very serious charge. If we don't follow the rules, we will not be crowned!! It is a little scary also. All of us tend to have different interpretations of various bible teachings. Is this referring to essential doctrine? If so, then what exactly is essential christian doctrine?? This phrase is used a lot but very rarely is essential doctrine listed or explained.

I know there are a lot of questions here but this passage really threw me for a loop as I am expanding into a new ministry.

All replies will be much appreciated and cherished.

God bless!!

Craig
    Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up
    James 4:10

Quote Originally Posted by waslostnowfound View Post
    I was reading along today and came across something that really stuck with me and I would really like some input.

2Timothy 2: 1-6

"You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier. And if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. "

Ok....... this is a call to evangelize and teach. We are at war with an adversary that has no rules, but we have to play by the rules. That is well and good, but what exactly are the set of rules that Paul is referring to?

I am thinking that maybe he means we have to teach with sound and correct doctrine. Am I on the right track?

The red verse seems like a very serious charge. If we don't follow the rules, we will not be crowned!! It is a little scary also. All of us tend to have different interpretations of various bible teachings. Is this referring to essential doctrine? If so, then what exactly is essential christian doctrine?? This phrase is used a lot but very rarely is essential doctrine listed or explained.

I know there are a lot of questions here but this passage really threw me for a loop as I am expanding into a new ministry.

All replies will be much appreciated and cherished.

God bless!!

Craig
    It could be said that all of scripture is essential doctrine. Paul did tell Timothy that it was indeed profitable for instruction, correction and doctrine in 2 Tim 3:16

As to the he is not crowned except he strive lawfully part of your question. Paul always taught that the gospel is to be presented honestly. Paul never compromised the gospel message to appease his audience. No sugar coated message from Paul. I guess Paul would not have made a good tele-evangelist.

Paul endured many things for the gospels sake. in vs 9-10 he remarks how he was seen as an evildoer even unto bonds. Paul was tossed into jail rather than stop preaching Jesus. He endured all these things that Christ might go forth and souls be saved. We ought not to expect to be loved by the sinner when we bring a message of judgment against sin. We must tell the honest message that except men repent and receive Christ they will doubtless perish for eternity in the lake of fire.

As one old time evangelist said we ought to do right till the stars fall from heaven. Sounds like a good rule to me.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Thanks for the reply Roger! One thing is still bothering me. With all the different views and beliefs within the body of what I believe to be saved christians, there has to be a wrong and a right on different points. For example.... baptism. I believe there are saved people on both sides. With that being said.... are the rules open to any type of interpretation. I don't think that is a viable option. 1Peter 1:20. So what then is essential when following the rules of competition?

Thanks

Craig

Blog Entries
    I have always took it as maintaining the integrity of the gospel...
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Missionary View Post
    I have always took it as maintaining the integrity of the gospel...
    UM.... You know I am from Nebraska. Could you expand on that a little? Lol! What are the points of integrity that are crucial?

Blog Entries
    Who Christ is...
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Missionary View Post
    Who Christ is...
    Hmmm. Paul did tend to focus on that! Then does "essential" start and end there?

Blog Entries
    Pretty much. It is what Christ said He would build His church on...

To me, it encompasses the entire New Testament. Every word of it. God gives us a pattern for everything. The way of salvation, the church and it's function and worship. To dis-obey in any part of it, is failure to comply with the pattern. How can we insert traditions of men into the pattern and expect to recieve Gods blessings?

all the best...

Blog Entries
    I'd have to agree with UM.

Thread Information