cure-real
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: God's desires and ours

In all lightheartedness, check out this video. I thought it was hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbkn...eature=related

PS: I don't know how to embed videos...
    Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Honestly, is it any wonder that people are so confused by this verse when the largest church in the United States is preaching this message?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.

So sad.... so misguided... so many being led astray and confused.

Stresses the importance of being in scripture daily for yourself, and not relying solely on what you receive from the pulpit.

In Christ,
    Jen

Good one Jen. Here's one I like.

Does God promise health and wealth?

http://www.gty.org/Resources/Sermon+Series/33

I first heard about the cargo cults in the above sermon. Went to youtube to look it up and it's pretty interesting/sad! Sadly, this is the same thing many "Christians" today worship. The god of cargo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RA4UnEuQ0
    Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Like I said before, God is not going to reveal everything to me in my life about what car to drive, what kind of career to take, whom to marry,etc. God is not going to put a spotlight on these things. He gave me a free will to choose.

So then why to so many of these Christians say that God somehow "told them" to go to this school, so and so job, etc. That never happened to me. I never felt any inner voice or stirring of the holy spirit to pick something. Oh well, I guess I'm not as holy as these other Christians who are better than me.

Okay, and since our hearts are wicked, then what? The desires in our hearts for a certain job or whatever in life even though they're not sinful need to be questioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    Like I said before, God is not going to reveal everything to me in my life about what car to drive, what kind of career to take, whom to marry,etc. God is not going to put a spotlight on these things. He gave me a free will to choose.

So then why to so many of these Christians say that God somehow "told them" to go to this school, so and so job, etc. That never happened to me. I never felt any inner voice or stirring of the holy spirit to pick something. Oh well, I guess I'm not as holy as these other Christians who are better than me.

Okay, and since our hearts are wicked, then what? The desires in our hearts for a certain job or whatever in life even though they're not sinful need to be questioned?

I'm with you, I'm a christian who worries about everything, I don't know where the lines are and rarely as result feel peice or relax, that initself worries me.

No one has said you aren't as holy as anyone else--and that really should not make a difference anyway, because the only one we should compare ourselves to is Jesus Christ! No one has said that any other Christians are "better" than you, either. At least I didn't read that.
    As Christians, we must live our lives to please God. Our role model must be Christ. And we must care most about what God thinks, not about what anyone else thinks.

And in answer to your query about whether we should question the desires of our heart? I would answer unequivocably--- YES!
    We always need to compare our wants, desires, perceived needs to scripture, and ask ourselves will this be glorifying to God?

Ephesians 5:
    8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10and find out what pleases the Lord. 11Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, 14for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said:
    "Wake up, O sleeper,
    rise from the dead,
    and Christ will shine on you."

15Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. 18Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. 19Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

It may be God's will for you to suffer. It may be God's will for you to lose a loved one, or your home, or your job, or your friends, or your health.
    But in everything, we are told to praise Him. Everything. Not just the good times, but also the bad. Because we do not know the testimony He is working in us to bring others to Him. We cannot see all the far reaching effects of the circumstances of our lives.

I am reading an excellent book right now by Richard Wurmbrand,
    called Tortured for Christ. I would highly recommend it.
    Another wonderful book I have read this year is Deitrich Bonhoeffer's
    Cost of Discipleship. Also excellent. It really helps you wrap your mind around how many times God is most glorified in our suffering.

In Christ,
    Jen

Quote Originally Posted by ThyWordIsTruth View Post
    Good one Jen. Here's one I like.

Does God promise health and wealth?

http://www.gty.org/Resources/Sermon+Series/33

I first heard about the cargo cults in the above sermon. Went to youtube to look it up and it's pretty interesting/sad! Sadly, this is the same thing many "Christians" today worship. The god of cargo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7RA4UnEuQ0

Thanks so much for posting these

John MacArthur is one of my favorite preachers to listen to and I have enormously enjoyed his books, as well.
    Truth War is an excellent read, if you haven't had a chance to read it yet.

In Christ,
    Jen

Blog Entries
    God's will isn't concealed. He doesn't hide anything from his people. If he did, and only a few select super-holy roller Christians who go high up to the mountains to fast and pray for a month are the only ones who get the special revelation from God. God's will is revealed to us all the time. I believe God's will for me is to be a positive influence to others at work and be fun to be around with, because I'm good at it and I enjoy it, and it's a gift from God. I have other desires, too, and guess what people, the Holy Spirit is inside them all. My desires aren't selfish as some of you may have thought. I do have a desire to reach out to others, and I'm quite possibly considering starting a small group.
    I agree...whatever your strong suits are then that is where you are led to work in...but I've also learned that even where you are weak, God will make you strong in that area and use you there as well. My strong suit was humanitarian work...I was good with people, had a compassionate heart and would help them. He uses me in that area. My weak point was teaching. I wanted no part of it, feared it and just knew I wasn't good at it...no confidence in myself...until God got a hold of me and stuck me right in the area I feared most. I fought it but God won . Now I enjoy it and even, through God, wrote a program for our church to help others and teach it along with others. Ask me to do this 3 years ago and I would have laughed in your face, said no way, and walked in a different direction.

If I don't like bugs or heat or tropical forests, God's will is not going for me to be a missionary in South America. If I enjoy playing guitar and singing, it may be possible God's will for me is to participate in some type of music group at church. If I don't enjoy being around elderly people at nursing homes, God's will isn't going to be for me to minister at nursing homes.
    I disagree...read above post. God has put me to work in several areas I didn't like and never saw myself working in. I balked at it but he changed my heart because it went along with the area I was good at. It's called obedience and sacrifice...obedience in doing what God wants you to do even if you don't feel it's your calling and sacrifice in doing something you don't want to do. God knows our hearts and he conditions our hearts to what his calling is for us. When my husband and I were told the Lord wanted us to work with the Youth, my first thought was "NO WAY!" I did that once before and was miserable. My husband had no feeling or desire to work in that area. I was more willing because I experienced this once before...not wanting to do something God called me to do but doing it anyhow because he wanted me to do it . I told my husband it's not until you jump into it that God will change your heart. It took awhile but the Lord changed his heart and now we love it and it goes along with the work he's called us to day.

Cheech you're taking the verses out of context. God created beauty for a reason. I know some of you are tired of me talking about this, but I strongly am convicted that there's a problem in the church, and I want to help clarify this. Just because one Christian feels a certain way doesn't mean another should too. Just because one Christian decided to marry somebody they're not attracted to physically doesn't mean another Christian should follow suit. This is heresy. Btw, God is not going to reveal to me who to marry with a spotlight. How would I know? We have something called the Holy Spirit. The desires that God gives us are from him, and other people can't tell me that. If God has a problem with me believing this, I'm pretty sure he will tell me somehow, but so far so good. So far, the Holy Spirit's telling me to marry girls that are not only Christian but that I'm also physically attracted to so I can enjoy multiplying and being fruitful and have an awesome marriage. I'm so fed up with this I think this is the last time I'm going to ever talk about this. So basically Cheech, you're saying that maybe God meant for me to marry somebody who's beautiful on the inside but I'm not attracted to her body at all instead of me being with somebody who I'm attracted to at all levels? I know, you're defense is going to be: "God knows what's best for you." Okay, so what's he going to do, tell me about this?
    Nope...not going to tell you that...but I agree...he does know what's best for us .

When two people see each other and come together and their hearts are struck with love, sometimes it is the most unlikeliest of matches because they are drawn by the heart. I agree attraction in appearance can make a difference but many times it's the heart and personality that drew them together. I have seen couples where one is plain and the other is handsome or beautiful. Many would wonder..."what do they see in each other?" The heart...that is what they see. We all have our "ideal" mates in mind when we are single but many times what we consider ideal sometimes isn't what we expected. You could very well end up with the perfect woman of your dreams...but you could also end up with someone you'd least expect and find out she IS the perfect woman for you and you will be attracted to her through the heart. Some may see her as a bit plain but you will see her as the most beautiful woman in the world. Or you could end up with the most physically attractive woman. My point was that when we go to God with a request like yours be prepared for Him to put you with the one he feels is best suited for you and don't worry...whether plain or beautiful it won't matter...because you will love her and only see beauty.

Live your life in such a
    way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!

Blog Entries
    Funny how God works. I was just driving to town to get my daughter when I was listening to Zig Ziglar on Focus on the Family and he was talking about his wife (they are probably in their 60's now). He says "My wife of 30 years is more beautiful now than she was the day I married her. I wondered how she could be more beautiful today than on our wedding day. It didn't make sense. How could a woman of all those years be beautiful than she was on our wedding day?" He stated he went to Israel and that's when his views changed. He heard a powerful sermon and the Pastor was singing. The Lord ministered to him and said "Let me tell you why your wife looks more beautiful to you now than she on your wedding day. Because I'm letting you look at her through my eyes. I'm letting you see perfection because she is forgiven."

True love is seeing someone through the eyes of God and not our flesh. When we are able to do this, then the attraction will be strong both emotionally and physically.

Live your life in such a
    way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!

Thread Information