cure-real
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 111

Thread: Angel Of The Bottomless Pit?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102

    Angel Of The Bottomless Pit?

    With regards to the following scriptures, who is the angel of the bottomless pit?

    Rev 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
    Rev 9:2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.

    Rev 9:11 And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.

    God bless!

    Firstfuits

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    storydweller
    Posts
    3,233
    Lately I've been wondering if this is language similar to Eze. 28. In other words, I'm thinking "the angel of the bottomless pit" could possibly be a human king, the king of Babylon, spoken of in angelic terms. When comparing John's locust army to Joel's locust army, it's plain to see that the locusts of Rev. 9 are the Babylonian armies; from here it's not a stretch to consider their king to be the king of the Babylonians, the one Paul called "the man of lawlessness". Thoughts?
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

    *It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    who is the angel of the bottomless pit?

    Firstfuits
    Apollyon [a destoyer]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckrl View Post
    Apollyon [a destoyer]
    Thanks Beckrl,

    I know that the angel is the destroyer, but coming from the bottomless pit, and the fact that the angel is against th kingdom of the beast and all that follow and have the mark of the beast, is the angel of the bottomless pit Satan?

    Firstfruits

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by astrongerthanhe View Post
    Lately I've been wondering if this is language similar to Eze. 28. In other words, I'm thinking "the angel of the bottomless pit" could possibly be a human king, the king of Babylon, spoken of in angelic terms. When comparing John's locust army to Joel's locust army, it's plain to see that the locusts of Rev. 9 are the Babylonian armies; from here it's not a stretch to consider their king to be the king of the Babylonians, the one Paul called "the man of lawlessness". Thoughts?
    With the understanding that all on the earth will worship the beast and therefore be in his kingdom, how would it therefore be a human that comes from the pit against those that worship the beast?

    God bless you!

    Firstfruits

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    Thanks Beckrl,

    I know that the angel is the destroyer, but coming from the bottomless pit, and the fact that the angel is against th kingdom of the beast and all that follow and have the mark of the beast, is the angel of the bottomless pit Satan?

    Firstfruits
    In short it's the angel of Death. Which is king of the tormenting locusts upon man.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Beckrl View Post
    In short it's the angel of Death. Which is king of the tormenting locusts upon man.
    Why would the angel of death be in the bottomless pit?

    Are you saying that death is the king of the angels rather than Satan?

    Firstfruits

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    storydweller
    Posts
    3,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    I know that the angel is the destroyer, but coming from the bottomless pit, and the fact that the angel is against the kingdom of the beast and all that follow and have the mark of the beast, is the angel of the bottomless pit Satan?
    Though you addressed this to Beckrl, I think that this may be where I need to clarify what I said. My beliefs about Revelation differ from most. I believe that the seals, trumpets, and bowls are exacted against apostate Israel for the sake of bringing them to the place of repentance. The beast that God raises up against Israel is Eschatological Babylon. The fifth trumpet is about Babylon sieging Jerusalem for five months. The star that had fallen from heaven to earth, called the angel of the deep, is an echo of the description that Ezekiel gives to the king of Tyre (ch.28), who is called "the anointed cherub", who was cast from "the holy mountain of God" (v.14) to the ground (v.17). See Isa. 14 as well, where the king of Babylon is called the "morning star" that has been "cut down to the ground" (v.12). Joel describes the Babylonian armies as a plague of locusts, and John quotes Joel word for word here in Rev. 9. These locusts released from the deep pit are not demons attacking all the people of the earth; they are Babylonian soldiers seeking to destroy the Jewish people in Israel.

    To see these references, compare
    1. Rev. 9:2 with Joel 2:2
    2. 9:3 with 1:4 and 2:25
    3. 9:5 with 2:6
    4. 9:7 with 2:4
    5. 9:8 with 1:6
    6. 9:9 with 2:5

    - Astro
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

    *It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Posts
    14,928
    Quote Originally Posted by astrongerthanhe View Post
    Though you addressed this to Beckrl, I think that this may be where I need to clarify what I said. My beliefs about Revelation differ from most. I believe that the seals, trumpets, and bowls are exacted against apostate Israel for the sake of bringing them to the place of repentance. The beast that God raises up against Israel is Eschatological Babylon. The fifth trumpet is about Babylon sieging Jerusalem for five months. The star that had fallen from heaven to earth, called the angel of the deep, is an echo of the description that Ezekiel gives to the king of Tyre (ch.28), who is called "the anointed cherub", who was cast from "the holy mountain of God" (v.14) to the ground (v.17). See Isa. 14 as well, where the king of Babylon is called the "morning star" that has been "cut down to the ground" (v.12). Joel describes the Babylonian armies as a plague of locusts, and John quotes Joel word for word here in Rev. 9. These locusts released from the deep pit are not demons attacking all the people of the earth; they are Babylonian soldiers seeking to destroy the Jewish people in Israel.

    To see these references, compare
    1. Rev. 9:2 with Joel 2:2
    2. 9:3 with 1:4 and 2:25
    3. 9:5 with 2:6
    4. 9:7 with 2:4
    5. 9:8 with 1:6
    6. 9:9 with 2:5

    - Astro
    When you say that Revelation 9 is depicting the "Babylonian soldiers seeking to destroy the Jewish people in Israel" are you speaking in terms of them seeking to physically kill the Jewish people in Israel?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Posts
    14,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    With regards to the following scriptures, who is the angel of the bottomless pit?

    Rev 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
    Rev 9:2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.

    Rev 9:11 And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.

    God bless!

    Firstfuits
    I believe the locusts symbolically represent fallen angels. Who do the angels have as king over them? Satan. We can see that is the case here:

    Matt 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

    Rev 12
    7And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, 8And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
    9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

    I believe the name Abaddon/Apollyon is used for Satan because the identity of the locusts as well as their king is meant to be spiritually discerned. It's not unprecedented for Satan to be referred to by another name. He is also called "Beelzebub the chief of the devils" (Luke 11:15).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by astrongerthanhe View Post
    Though you addressed this to Beckrl, I think that this may be where I need to clarify what I said. My beliefs about Revelation differ from most. I believe that the seals, trumpets, and bowls are exacted against apostate Israel for the sake of bringing them to the place of repentance. The beast that God raises up against Israel is Eschatological Babylon. The fifth trumpet is about Babylon sieging Jerusalem for five months. The star that had fallen from heaven to earth, called the angel of the deep, is an echo of the description that Ezekiel gives to the king of Tyre (ch.28), who is called "the anointed cherub", who was cast from "the holy mountain of God" (v.14) to the ground (v.17). See Isa. 14 as well, where the king of Babylon is called the "morning star" that has been "cut down to the ground" (v.12). Joel describes the Babylonian armies as a plague of locusts, and John quotes Joel word for word here in Rev. 9. These locusts released from the deep pit are not demons attacking all the people of the earth; they are Babylonian soldiers seeking to destroy the Jewish people in Israel.

    To see these references, compare
    1. Rev. 9:2 with Joel 2:2
    2. 9:3 with 1:4 and 2:25
    3. 9:5 with 2:6
    4. 9:7 with 2:4
    5. 9:8 with 1:6
    6. 9:9 with 2:5

    - Astro
    The events of the 5th angel are not againts Israel but against the kingdom of the beast and all that worship him.

    Firstfruits

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    I believe the locusts symbolically represent fallen angels. Who do the angels have as king over them? Satan. We can see that is the case here:

    Matt 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

    Rev 12
    7And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, 8And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
    9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

    I believe the name Abaddon/Apollyon is used for Satan because the identity of the locusts as well as their king is meant to be spiritually discerned. It's not unprecedented for Satan to be referred to by another name. He is also called "Beelzebub the chief of the devils" (Luke 11:15).
    Thanks Eric,

    When therefore would Satan have been put in the bottomless pit if he is released at the 5th trumpet?

    God bless you!

    Firstfruits
    Last edited by Firstfruits; Nov 25th 2009 at 12:35 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    Why would the angel of death be in the bottomless pit?

    Are you saying that death is the king of the angels rather than Satan?

    Firstfruits
    I believe it refers to Death[Abaddon] and Hell[grave/bottomless pit]

    Revelation 20:
    14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    storydweller
    Posts
    3,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstfruits View Post
    The events of the 5th angel are not againts Israel but against the kingdom of the beast and all that worship him.

    Firstfruits
    That's my point exactly. Israel at that time will be apostate sinners, and will have given themselves to the Babylonians and their false gods. So God raises up Babylon against Israel, as He has done consistently throughout their history, as recorded in the prophets. However, Rev. 9 does not say that the locusts torment all the earth; they only attack those who do not have the seal of God on their forehead (v.4). Who has the seal of God? In Rev. 7 John sees 144,000 Jews receive this seal. Therefore, it follows that those who do not have this seal are apostate Jews.
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

    *It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

  15. #15
    Good thread topic!

    I have no answers, but only questions.

    Why are both Christ and the angel of the bottomless pit said to have the keys to death and hades?

    Why are both Christ and the angel of the bottomless pit said to destroy?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: Nov 27th 2007, 10:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •