cure-real
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Beck wrote a novel

Quote Originally Posted by Luke34 View Post
    ...and it is, predictably, awful. Not that I read it, heaven forbid
    Sorry, but if you openly say you didn't read the book, but you proceed to claim that it's "awful", I can't take your review seriously. You have no credibility in giving us a review of the book if you never read it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisLeast View Post
    The mixed up similes. The character is described as being "tall and silent as", but the simile only makes sense when talking about silence. We might assume he didn't forget, and that he's actually as tall as his house is quiet, but that doesn't make any sense to me.

Now I'm not a Glen Beck hater, but if that writing is an indication of what the rest of the book is like, it makes me hesitant to pick it up.
    Oh. I thought that the house changed in size (according to the original post).

Anyway, I guess sometimes compound similes can be awkward.
    ".....it's your nickel"

I've never read any of Glenn Becks books, thus far, but I didn't know he wrote fiction.

My news years resolution is to finish reading the books I've started and to keep on reading often. Maybe I'll pick up a copy. I like Glenn Beck.

Maybe Vhayes would like to borrow my copy of "Savage Nation" by Michael Savage.
    Just teasing you...

Jeanne

"He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it". ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

"If we ever forget that we are ONE NATION UNDER GOD, then we will be a nation gone under" ~ Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markedward View Post
    Sorry, but if you openly say you didn't read the book, but you proceed to claim that it's "awful", I can't take your review seriously. You have no credibility in giving us a review of the book if you never read it.
    I don't know about others but when I am shopping for a book to read I take time to read a few pages...pretty much anywhere in the book too ..it gives me a good idea if the author is a good writer or not. I can honestly say I really wonder how some books get published because the writing is so very bad. I have checked out more then a few from the library only to discover how awful they were until I learned to do this trick...read a few pages and you know. A person shouldn't have to shell out 25 bucks or more only to discover its really bad writing.

And I think people assume because someone is well known they can also write! Most can't write worth a hoot. I mean look how many well known people are constantly coming out with books...how do they even have the time to write? And they all just happen to have a talent for writing besides singing, being in movies, in politics, sports, etc, etc.... They use ghost writers if they are smart...let someone else put their ideas down on paper..

sounds like maybe Glenn didn't use a ghost writer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostwriter
    A ghostwriter is a professional writer who is paid to write books, articles, stories, reports, or other texts that are officially credited to another person. Celebrities, executives, and political leaders often hire ghostwriters to draft or edit autobiographies, magazine articles, or other written material. In music, ghostwriters are used in film score composition, as well as in pop music such as Top 40, country, and hip-hop. The ghostwriter is sometimes acknowledged by the author or publisher for his or her writing services.

I need a ghost writer myself...

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries
    Well, I don't celebrate Christmas but I can't imagine why it would be cool to poke fun at a Christmas story of redemption. He actually did a live show that simulcast in over 400 theatres last week. http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/OriginalPr...ign=GBXmas2009 From what I understand Beck had slipped to the lowest point in his life (before he was doing his show) about a dozen years ago. This circumstance drove him to his knees which led him to the Lord. It was his personal story of redemption that led him to write this book.

As for the quote, remember, this is a fantasy story about a house that changes sizes based on who is in the house so the quote taken out of context might seem as if the simile used is incorrect though considering the story it is not.

For anyone interested in seeing reviews from those who have ACTUALLY read the book, there are plenty of reviews here. http://www.amazon.com/The-Christmas-...owViewpoints=1 The overwhelming majority seemed to like it (giving it 5 stars) and seemed to believe it had some sort of a spiritual message.

God Bless!
    Denise
    II Timothy 2:15
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Read My Testimony Visit Our Website

Blog Entries
    Is that the general quality of the whole book? I don't know. Here's an excerpt; judge for yourself.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The.../9781416594857

If you don't see it right away, click on the Features button.

In general, it looks like extra-sugary cra--crazy-sentimental stuff you expect from a holiday-themed book by a celebrity! Cough, cough!
    One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism, One God and Father over us all.

He may have been led to a Lord but it certainly wasn't Jesus. Unless you consider Jesus Satan's brother. And not God but a created being.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Studyin'2Show View Post
    Well, I don't celebrate Christmas but I can't imagine why it would be cool to poke fun at a Christmas story of redemption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhayes View Post
    He may have been led to a Lord but it certainly wasn't Jesus. Unless you consider Jesus Satan's brother. And not God but a created being.
    'Nuff said...
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Blog Entries
    As for the quote, remember, this is a fantasy story about a house that changes sizes based on who is in the house so the quote taken out of context might seem as if the simile used is incorrect though considering the story it is not.
    OOOOOOOH! I get it now; the simile isn't messed up at all, it's just part of a... uh... a ... an idea I'd reject on first blush, but actually works as a melding of surreal fantasism and... and... whatever else he's doing?

CRA-A-A-ZY.

Blog Entries
    Well, I don't celebrate Christmas but I can't imagine why it would be cool to poke fun at a Christmas story of redemption. He actually did a live show that simulcast in over 400 theatres last week. http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/OriginalPr...ign=GBXmas2009 From what I understand Beck had slipped to the lowest point in his life (before he was doing his show) about a dozen years ago. This circumstance drove him to his knees which led him to the Lord. It was his personal story of redemption that led him to write this book.

For anyone interested in seeing reviews from those who have ACTUALLY read the book, there are plenty of reviews here. http://www.amazon.com/The-Christmas-...owViewpoints=1 The overwhelming majority seemed to like it (giving it 5 stars) and seemed to believe it had some sort of a spiritual message.

God Bless!
    Denise
    I thought Beck was a Mormon? They do not have the same beliefs we do about Christ...
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    I thought Beck was a Mormon? They do not have the same beliefs we do about Christ...
    They obviously celebrate Christmas. From what I understand it has no dogmatic info but only sappy Christmas stuff that people seem to like.
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Blog Entries
    They obviously celebrate Christmas. From what I understand it has no dogmatic info but only sappy Christmas stuff that people seem to like.
    uh? I have no idea what you just said..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    uh? I have no idea what you just said..
    I have no idea why not. It's not a book about how to be a Mormon, or what Mormons believe, or even Jesus' brother It's a sappy, happy, magical Christmas book. It's no more dogmatic than Rudolph the Reindeer or Frosty the Snowman which don't mention Jesus or anything scriptural either.

I have no idea why not. It's not a book about how to be a Mormon, or what Mormons believe, or even Jesus' brother It's a sappy, happy, magical Christmas book. It's no more dogmatic than Rudolph the Reindeer or Frosty the Snowman which don't mention Jesus or anything scriptural either.
    So... how is it a book about redemption? I thought that was your premise?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhayes View Post
    So... how is it a book about redemption? I thought that was your premise?
    It's a book about personal/holiday redemption, of course. Think A Wonderful Life.

Thread Information