cure-real
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Kosciusko, Mississippi
    Posts
    1,190
    Blog Entries
    177

    the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost

    I've heard that the term "ghost" once had a different connotation than it does now.

    It now has a connotation of the spirit of a dead person.

    I've heard that it once basically just meant "spirit".

    Thus, "Holy Ghost" would mean the same thing as "Holy Spirit".

    Anyway, I think a lot of churches don't put NEAR enough emphasis on the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost.

    Plus, I keep hearing people IN CHURCHES referring to the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost as "it".

    Basically, they are referred to God as "it".

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by gringo300 View Post
    I've heard that the term "ghost" once had a different connotation than it does now.

    It now has a connotation of the spirit of a dead person.

    I've heard that it once basically just meant "spirit".

    Thus, "Holy Ghost" would mean the same thing as "Holy Spirit".

    Anyway, I think a lot of churches don't put NEAR enough emphasis on the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost.

    Plus, I keep hearing people IN CHURCHES referring to the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost as "it".

    Basically, they are referred to God as "it".
    [QUOTE=rwdavis]
    gringo,
    The same term Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit are translated from the Greek words 'hagion pnuema'. Literally hagion (def: sanctified) and pnuema (def: breath).

    The breath of God is the testimony of those who have already perished after having contributed their testimony (Hebrews 9:17,28).

    Thus hagion pnema is the Holy Ghost / Holy Spirit of God (1Cor 10:11-12)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    731
    Yep, Holy Ghost = Holy Spirit. But there is a connotation with "ghost", which almost makes the sooner sound more religious than the latter, IMO. And I agree with your contention about the Holy Spirit being called an "it" rather than "he". I think it's possibly because of his name - Holy (an adjective) Spirit (a noun), instead of something that sounds more like a personal name, which God and Jesus have.

    Insofar as preaching about the Holy Spirit, I do believe you're right. They neglect speaking about that third person of the Trinity, since God gets the Old Testament, Jesus gets the New Testament, and the Holy Spirit gets little more than the book of Acts and verses scattered in the NT. But if you want to hear more about him, you should hear Pentecostal preaching. I should know, since I attend that type, and I always hear about the Holy Ghost.

  4. #4
    Hi Gringo
    Quote Originally Posted by gringo300 View Post
    I've heard that the term "ghost" once had a different connotation than it does now.

    It now has a connotation of the spirit of a dead person.

    I've heard that it once basically just meant "spirit".
    Not just now, that was also the case when Wycliffe, Tyndale and the KJV made their English versions too. Think of Shakespeare writing about Hamlet's "ghost" for example. "Ghost" meant ghost to Shakespeare.

    The words are the same in Greek and Latin, so it's an English thing. It may go back as far as Aelfric (unfortunately his Gospels aren't online so can't check). But the distinction was certainly known enough when Wycliffe (1395) made his version. When Wycliffe thought "Spirit" was the 3rd Person of the Trinity he translated in "Hooli Goost", and when it was an allegorical use, just "spirit".

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,992
    Blog Entries
    3
    I agree Gringo! I don't understand why there is so much talk about everything but the Holy Spirit! He is the One who teaches us, guides us, comforts us, tells us the thoughts of God on matters, shows us our true motivations, and so much more.

    I think the reason He is barely spoken of or taught about is because our organized religion has no need of Him. They can operate without Him quite prosperously and their systematic theologies have just about every answer seemingly buttoned down - they kind of think they're rich and in need of nothing....
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    the sweetest place on earth
    Posts
    6,385
    Quote Originally Posted by paintdiva View Post
    I agree Gringo! I don't understand why there is so much talk about everything but the Holy Spirit! He is the One who teaches us, guides us, comforts us, tells us the thoughts of God on matters, shows us our true motivations, and so much more.

    I think the reason He is barely spoken of or taught about is because our organized religion has no need of Him. They can operate without Him quite prosperously and their systematic theologies have just about every answer seemingly buttoned down - they kind of think they're rich and in need of nothing....
    Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would not speak of Himself but that He would testify of the things He received from Christ. John 16:12-15

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,992
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would not speak of Himself but that He would testify of the things He received from Christ. John 16:12-15

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    Yes.....that is correct. I have read that verse. He speaks to us about Christ. He teaches us about Christ. He opens our understanding and recalls verses to our mind. He is our Helper and Teacher. He shows us our true motivations (convicts us of inner sin). We wouldn't understand the spirit of the words that are Spirit as God is Spirit without Him. It seems strange that there is less teaching about Him. I don't know what your point was, sorry. I'm a little dense....
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    the sweetest place on earth
    Posts
    6,385
    Quote Originally Posted by paintdiva View Post
    Yes.....that is correct. I have read that verse. He speaks to us about Christ. He teaches us about Christ. He opens our understanding and recalls verses to our mind. He is our Helper and Teacher. He shows us our true motivations (convicts us of inner sin). We wouldn't understand the spirit of the words that are Spirit as God is Spirit without Him. It seems strange that there is less teaching about Him. I don't know what your point was, sorry. I'm a little dense....
    The best teachers make the lesson of greater importance than themselves. A really good teacher gets all the focus of the student on the material and not on them.

    The Holy Spirit is the best teacher because He teaches Christ without drawing attention to Himself. And yet the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are One. The abiding presence of the Holy Spirit is better felt than tell't.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,992
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    The best teachers make the lesson of greater importance than themselves. A really good teacher gets all the focus of the student on the material and not on them.

    The Holy Spirit is the best teacher because He teaches Christ without drawing attention to Himself. And yet the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are One. The abiding presence of the Holy Spirit is better felt than tell't.

    For the cause of Christ
    Roger
    Ah, I see what you were saying. You believe the Holy Spirit should not be focused on but that only Jesus should be focused on. I guess I look at the Holy Spirit as actually being Jesus - His voice that we were told we would know. And I think a lot of people who are christians aren't aware that they need Him and can have Him but only "learn" from preachers and other authors. And also, I think it would have helped me a lot in the beginning if I could have found a person who could have talked with me about some of what I was experiencing but everyone kind of looked at me like I was crazy and said, can't help you there, I don't have any idea what you're talking about, I've never "felt" or "heard" God, I just read my bible and go to church. I guess I wish that more preachers would do like Paul did and say to believers: Have you received the Holy Spirit yet?
    "knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gravenhurst Ontario Canada
    Posts
    326
    From the Council of Nicaea, A.D. 325: "We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life, Who proceeds from the Father [and the Son], Who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified. He has spoken through the prophets."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Kosciusko, Mississippi
    Posts
    1,190
    Blog Entries
    177
    I once heard a preacher say that Pentecostal churches put too much emphasis on the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost.

    WAIT A MINUTE!

    If the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost is God, basically that preacher was saying that Pentecostal churches put too much emphasis on God.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gauteng, South Africa
    Posts
    188
    Indeed - you are quite correct. People are taught far too little about the Holy Spirit. He is the most awesome friend, teacher, leader and strengthener imagineable. Just like Jesus was there for the people, the Holy Spirit is here for us. Having a living relationship with Him is what gives one's faith life.

    Quote Originally Posted by gringo300 View Post
    I once heard a preacher say that Pentecostal churches put too much emphasis on the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost.

    WAIT A MINUTE!

    If the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost is God, basically that preacher was saying that Pentecostal churches put too much emphasis on God.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost?
    By mortehoe in forum Growing in Christ
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Nov 11th 2012, 03:30 AM
  2. the Holy Spirit/Holy Ghost
    By gringo300 in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep 1st 2009, 08:42 PM
  3. Replies: 128
    Last Post: Jul 18th 2009, 11:28 AM
  4. Are holy angels indwelt by the Holy Spirit?
    By Jubal in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Apr 19th 2008, 05:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •