cure-real

Thread: What month was Jesus actually born?

What month was Jesus actually born?

I'm guessing no one actually knows.I clicked on a bible quiz site to see how much,or how little I know.One of the questions was when was Jesus' actual birth day.The answer was September 23rd. It was done by what the said was a ancient Jewish custom that the celebrated the conception rather than the actual birth date itself.I have heard this as well,but also have heard several other reasons why we chose December 25th as a day of celebration of the Lord's birth.

I have also heard that with the exception of Easter or Ressurection Day,all Christian holidays was planned to off set ancient pagan holidays of the same date,and Decemeber 25th was one of them.I don't know any pagan holidays,noe do I want to either.Has anybody heard of these stories surrounding the celebration of the birth of our Saviour?

Quote Originally Posted by KATMAN View Post
    I'm guessing no one actually knows.I clicked on a bible quiz site to see how much,or how little I know.One of the questions was when was Jesus' actual birth day.The answer was September 23rd. It was done by what the said was a ancient Jewish custom that the celebrated the conception rather than the actual birth date itself.I have heard this as well,but also have heard several other reasons why we chose December 25th as a day of celebration of the Lord's birth.

I have also heard that with the exception of Easter or Ressurection Day,all Christian holidays was planned to off set ancient pagan holidays of the same date,and Decemeber 25th was one of them.I don't know any pagan holidays,noe do I want to either.Has anybody heard of these stories surrounding the celebration of the birth of our Saviour?
    It is very likely that Jesus was not born on Dec 25th. I have heard speculation of everything from Sept to Mar but it could be anything.

The roman catholic church was very influential in establishing the modern holiday we celebrate today. It was centuries after our Lords time on earth that it was determined to remember His birth as a holiday. Rome the church needed to unify and solidify its control over its people. The Christmas holiday is an economic and political construct. I believe that God has not revealed the exact date as a mercy for believers.

Jesus marked Chanukkah when He was on the earth. John 10:22-23 so remembering Christmas is really no problem at this time of the year.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Christmas wasn't actually planned to set off a pagan holiday. There was an ancient belief that the Angel Gabriel came to Mary on 25 March -- based partly on dating the appearance to Zechariah (if he was serving for the Day of Atonement, that was around 25 Sept, and Gabriel came to Mary around 6 months after that), and partly on an idea that the day of Jesus' conception was the same as the Crucifixion (which meant, some people believed, that the tomb "wherein never man before was laid" in Luke 23:53 was a reference to the Virgin Birth).

Later, when people started celebrating Christmas, they just counted 9 months from 25 March: For He is believed to have been conceived on the 25th of March, upon which day also He suffered; ... But He was born, according to tradition, upon December the 25th (Augustine, On the Trinity, IV, 5)

On the other hand, some early Eastern Christians dated the Annunciation to April 6 and therefore Christmas to January 6.

My guess is about September or October, because the shepherds were still out tending flocks. I don't think they would have done so in winter.

Blog Entries
    About the time of the Feast of Tabernacles
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Blog Entries
    Christ was concieved in December 25, 04 BC. Born sometime in September 03 BC
    Will you choose your own path or will you have it chosen for you?

A private central bank issuing the public currency is a greater menace to the people than a standing army -- Thomas Jefferson.

When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic -- Benjamin Franklin.

"Re-electing Obama would be like the Titanic backing up and hitting the iceberg again" -- Unknown author. -- >> Psa. 109:8 Let his days be few, And let another take his office.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta-An View Post
    About the time of the Feast of Tabernacles
    That's my feeling, as well. Tabernacle means to dwell. What better time for God to come to dwell with man? When He was born is less important than THAT He was born! I rejoice in that an day of the year!

Have a blessed day!
    Denise
    II Timothy 2:15
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Read My Testimony Visit Our Website

Blog Entries

December 25 was a pagan festival. I won't go into any more detail because you said you didn't want to know. Easter was also once a pagan festival.

I recall reading something years ago that put forward the theory that the Star of Bethlehem was probably an alignment of Jupiter and Saturn - the two planets together would have appeared very bright in the sky. If that was the case it would put the birth of Jesus somewhere around September in the year 6BC. But it's just a theory among many theories - it sounds plausible on the face of it but then so do many theories that survive.

Truth be told I think the only thing we can say is that we can't conclusively say what day it was that Jesus was born. We can also say it doesn't really matter - Jesus never told us to celebrate his birthday so it doesn't matter if we celebrate it at all, or if we celebrate it on a day that isn't a whole number of years since he was born.

It's far more important to focus on the person of Jesus Christ, what he did, why he came, and what he accomplished, than to worry about the specific dates that things happened.
    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Wasn't Easter the same time as the Passover? If it was the same date as a pagan holiday,why does the date on Easter change every year? Sometimes it's in March and sometime it's in April.I was always confised by that.

Blog Entries
    Wasn't Easter the same time as the Passover? If it was the same date as a pagan holiday,why does the date on Easter change every year? Sometimes it's in March and sometime it's in April.I was always confised by that.
    Sometimes it overlaps .... but Passover is not Easter.... some churches celebrates Passover @ Easter time and calls it "Easter"
    The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
    God plants in our hearts
    to remind us
    there are better things ahead.
    -Holley Gerth

Blog Entries
    Passover is based on the Hebrew Calendar always falling on the 15th of Nissan. Easter is based on the first full moon after the beginning of Spring according to the Roman calendar. It falls on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox.
    II Timothy 2:15
    Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Read My Testimony Visit Our Website

April 17th.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    It's far more important to focus on the person of Jesus Christ, what he did, why he came, and what he accomplished, than to worry about the specific dates that things happened.
    Amen to that. That's how I regard it. I know He wasn't born in December, but what does that matter? What matters is that He came and saved us.
    We are not saved by having a great faith in God.
    We are saved by having faith in a great God.

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Heb. 4:12

Thread Information