cure-real

Thread: Nocturnal Emission in the Bible

Nocturnal Emission in the Bible

I found a verse which explicitly deals with nocturnal emission which I guess I never came across before.

Deuteronomy 23:9-14

"When you are encamped against your enemies, keep away from everything impure. If one of your men is unclean because of a nocturnal emission, he is to go outside the camp and stay there. But as evening approaches he is to wash himself, and at sunset he may return to the camp.Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with, and when you relieve yourself, dig a hole and cover up your excrement. For the LORD your God moves about in your camp to protect you and to deliver your enemies to you. Your camp must be holy, so that he will not see among you anything indecent and turn away from you."

What I am getting from this verse is that its okay to masturbate in light of nocturnal emission as long as we cover it up. Or else why would they allow them to relieve themselves?

Hmm. I guess I'm misreading it. But excrement seems more to mean poop.

The NAS Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon

Strong's Number: 6627
    Original Word Word Origin
    hac from (03318)
    Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
    Tsa'ah TWOT - 1884a
    Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
    tsaw-aw' Noun Feminine
    Definition

1. filth, human excrement, excrement, faeces

NAS Word Usage - Total: 2
    dung* 1, excrement 1

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Hmm. I guess I'm misreading it. But excrement seems more to mean poop.
    Good point, but that whole passage seemed to deal with the excrement of semen I thought. I mean its talking about semen right before it. But maybe I misread it.

Yeah, you misread it. Two entirely different things being dealt with.

Paragraphs help with understanding. Here's how the scripture reads.

Deut 23:9-14

9 "When you go out as an army against your enemies, you shall keep yourself from every evil thing.

10 "If there is among you any man who is unclean because of a nocturnal emission, then he must go outside the camp; he may not reenter the camp. 11 "But it shall be when evening approaches, he shall bathe himself with water, and at sundown he may reenter the camp.

12 "You shall also have a place outside the camp and go out there, 13 and you shall have a spade among your tools, and it shall be when you sit down outside, you shall dig with it and shall turn to cover up your excrement. 14 "Since the Lord your God walks in the midst of your camp to deliver you and to defeat your enemies before you, therefore your camp must be holy; and He must not see anything indecent among you or He will turn away from you.
    NASU

vs 10 and 11 are one paragraph dealing with one subject matter. While vs 12-14 are another paragraph dealing with another subject matter.
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Thread Information