cure-real

Thread: pluck your right eye out!

Question pluck your right eye out!

Hi I'm new to these forums & have been a Christian only for a couple of years. I was shocked when I read that Jesus want people to throw away their right eye. Could someone please explain if this verse is literal or something else? Thank you

Matthew 5:29:

"And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell."

Quote Originally Posted by Bible Follower View Post
    Hi I'm new to these forums & have been a Christian only for a couple of years. I was shocked when I read that Jesus want people to throw away their right eye. Could someone please explain if this verse is literal or something else? Thank you

"And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell."
    I bolded a critical part of the the text. Jesus didn't want people to pluck out their eye. He's using hyperbole to demonstrate just how tenaciously we should pursue righteousness. He is saying that if your eye is what would keep you from righteousness, wouldn't it be better to lose it rather than go to hell?
    I want to be as clear as possible here: Jesus is not saying "go poke your eye out!"

Jesus is making the point that don't let anything prevent you from serving and following God; because in the grand scheme of eternity, little things that appear to be important (that take away from God) aren't important at all.

Better to be blind in this life, and be close to the Lord and spend eternity with Him, than to be a wholly eyed scoundrel marked for eternity in the flames separated from the Lord.

That's all He's trying to get across.

Blog Entries

I agree with Hisleast and David Taylor. Jesus often asks his disciples to assess the relative value of things. He isn't demanding that people pluck out an eye. But he IS asking his disciples to compare the relative value of things in this life with those in the next life.

Can your eye or your hand cause you to sin? "I'm sorry officer. I didn't steal it. My hand did"

What is the cause of sin in someone's life? We all sin due to our own stubborn, willful rebellion. So, what needs to be removed?
    You were made to think. It will do you good to think; to develop your powers by study. God designed that religion should require thought, intense thought, and should thoroughly develop our powers of thought.

Charles G Finney

http://holyrokker.blogspot.com

He is showing us what it takes to be a Christian. How much we should Hate sin!. It isn't enough to love righteousness, most people do love righteousness, it it the hating of iniquity that we all fall short. This isn't just some fancy talk, he means it. In a symbolic way. Just as the literal isn't easy to take, neither is what he is really getting at.

Drastic times require drastic measures. If something or someone as dear to us as our own eye or hand, or body, is causing us to sin, then we need to cut it off, amputate it right away before the entire body is infected!

2Co 6:14-17
    14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
    15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
    16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Only if you are a seventh day adventist should you do this....

other than that it is simply Jesus saying for a person to do whatever it takes for them to make sure that they stay and keep their heart and mind focused on God with their whole life.

Jesus was using figurative language. He wants us to focus on him and not sin. If something causes you to sin, remove it from your life (if your eyes cause you to sin, train them to focus away from sin and to God).
    Jesus Lives
    Jesús vive
    Iesu wa ikite iru

PUT ON THE FULL ARMOR OF GOD! (Eph 6:11)

Are you watching something on the television you are NOT suppose to watch.....don't plug out your eye....GET RID OF THE TV! That is what it means. If your feet leads you to a brothel.....don't cut of your feet.....DON'T GO TO THE BROTHEL!

Getting rid of TV or not going to brothels will not prevent sin. Sin stems from within a person. It grows fro our own desires.

James 1:14-15
    But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

We need to be crucified with Christ.
    You were made to think. It will do you good to think; to develop your powers by study. God designed that religion should require thought, intense thought, and should thoroughly develop our powers of thought.

Charles G Finney

http://holyrokker.blogspot.com

goykodesh Guest
    I think the Shepard will do just about anything to get the attention of His lost sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by holyrokker View Post
    Getting rid of TV or not going to brothels will not prevent sin. Sin stems from within a person. It grows fro our own desires.

James 1:14-15
    But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

We need to be crucified with Christ.
    I totally agree with you......but stil,l get rid of the TV. What a waste of time. (TV - The One Eyed Devil)

The clearest indication that it's hyperbole and not literal is a person has 2 eyes. Even if you pluck out your right eye, you still have your left eye to sin with. Even if you cut off your right hand, you still have your left. And the Bible tells us clearly that God forbids any kind of self-mutilation.
    Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Thread Information