cure-real

Thread: Article: How did my son get so smart? By God's amazing grace!

Unregistered Guest

Article: How did my son get so smart? By God's amazing grace!

Blog Entries
    This truly is a miracle for Nathan and for you! I could feel in your writing how overwhelming this was to walk through with that boy of yours. I know you must be SO proud of him for doing so well! All A's and B's. Wow! I feel this article will help many who are struggling with their child's learning disabilities. The grace of God, truly amazing!

Congratulations on this article! Its really an accomplishment for you too, since you said you have had LD also. One more thing...I love the meaning of your son's name.

Blog Entries
    I remember, having been here almost 6 years this spring, the struggles you went through with Nate. Amid the struggles there were the "Nateisms" - something funny or so very kid like (or Nate like ) he'd done. I can see looking back despite how big the big things were that when the light shone through you saw it.

We must raise our children through prayer and faith. As a mom of 2 teenagers myself and one being close to 18 it gives give them wings - the ones that really matter, the ones we can't give them. These growing pains that I think parents go through just as much as their kids do grows us up as well.

God bless MG, both you and Nate! Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Blog Entries
    Divinely inspirational, Moonglow!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggindeeper View Post
    This truly is a miracle for Nathan and for you! I could feel in your writing how overwhelming this was to walk through with that boy of yours. I know you must be SO proud of him for doing so well! All A's and B's. Wow! I feel this article will help many who are struggling with their child's learning disabilities. The grace of God, truly amazing!

Congratulations on this article! Its really an accomplishment for you too, since you said you have had LD also. One more thing...I love the meaning of your son's name.
    Yea, I kept tearing up while I was writing that and had to stop to wipes my eyes so I could see. I also really condensed things too! Like how I would have to spend hours in a grocery store just reading all the ingredients to make sure it had nothing he was allergic too. Of having to go out of town to a small store in the country to buy substitute foods so I could even cook for him. One time I made a yeast free pizza with fake cheese (he couldn't have milk or yeast or eggs) cooked some kind of meat..forget what..made it all from scratch and he took one bite and said it tasted horrible and I burst into tears. (it did taste awful). He still remembers that...though at the time didn't really understand why I cried). He was just four or five. I also tried to make yeast free bread.. That also didn't turn out so well.

I hated sending him to school too after bad nights from the nightmares ..us both so tired, but I had too because he already missed alot of school due to allergy related illnesses..I would only keep him home when he was just totally worn out from lack of sleep (and me too!) Most of the time he did ok once he got to school and got busy while I would feel like a zombie from so many nights of interrupted sleep. I think his hyperness got him through those tough days! He rarely slept well... if not from the nightmares, from his allergies waking him up or getting sick. I honestly don't know how we got through those years but for the Grace of God.

And yea, my learning disability is more severe then his...I also never got help for it in school. Wasn't tested until I was a senior in high school and by then it was really just too late. Since I knew it could run in families I really watched for signs of it in him and saw the problems early on. Getting others on board was like climbing a mountain though! Again by the Grace of God he got the help he needed instead of the school saying too late, something was wrong which is what happens to too many of these kids and why parents need to be on top of things and watching them carefully for signs of struggling then getting them the help they need before the emotional damage happens. And before they get too far behind their peers in school. They will give up..quit trying, quit caring..and some get just plain angry and do nothing but act up in school or home or both. They become angry at the world in general because inside they are hurting so badly. Its crushing to a child's self esteem when they can't learn.

As Nate started making improvement his behavior got better too..and less anxiety also. Now yesterday he had way too many sugary foods and was so hyper he was driving me up the wall! My mistake though. I had gotten him a bottle of Spite..and didn't realize he was guzzling it until it was almost gone. I rarely get him a bottle of pop because of how it can affect him if he has too much. I don't care what they studies say about sugar (done by sugar companies btw)..for Nate too much sugar makes for a very hyper kid! I normally have him drink lemonade Kool-Aid with artificial sugar in it. He usually only drinks that because when he was younger the other ones with heavy dyes in them made him very hyper too. Red dye 40 is especially bad in alot of kids. Try finding children's vitamins, children's over the counter medication ..juices and anything made for kids without this in it or other dyes..is nearly impossible. Even the children's liquid antibiotics have red dye 40 in them. I had to go to GMC for no dyes or sugar added vitamins. Had to hunt down children's dye free Ibuprofen for when he was sick too.

Anyway sorry, didn't mean to write a book here! lol.

Thanks for the kind words. (I do use spell check and online dictionaries alot btw). lol

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by threebigrocks View Post
    I remember, having been here almost 6 years this spring, the struggles you went through with Nate. Amid the struggles there were the "Nateisms" - something funny or so very kid like (or Nate like ) he'd done. I can see looking back despite how big the big things were that when the light shone through you saw it.

We must raise our children through prayer and faith. As a mom of 2 teenagers myself and one being close to 18 it gives give them wings - the ones that really matter, the ones we can't give them. These growing pains that I think parents go through just as much as their kids do grows us up as well.

God bless MG, both you and Nate! Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
    So glad you remember! I wrote those little Nateism stories (like how you put that) as a way for me to cope. To find humor in sometimes very stressful situations that at the time, weren't funny...! But I turned them around to make myself see the humor in them instead of allowing them to pull me down and be all upset about them. I really helped me alot. I don't do those much anymore because he is doing so well..Praise God for that! I can't praise God enough. We had many dark days (and nights) for sure, but yes that is when I hung onto God the hardest. Many many times I would say to the Lord...'You deal with him cause I can't right now'..(being at my wits end) and He would! It was an amazing thing to see too...that light in the darkness times.

Yesterday I was doing alot of "Lord give me patience's!" because Nate was so hyper..see if he ever gets any pop again! I was run ragged yesterday just trying to keep up with him.
    (they were out of school yesterday for Martin Lurther King jr day).

Thank you for the encouraging words!

bc3n1

Divinely inspirational, Moonglow!
    Thank you.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Awesome. Thanks be to our God and Holy Father. Thanks for posting. I will read this to my children tonight!

Blog Entries
    I feel like you and Nate are an inspiration to all the mothers and sons (mothers and children really) who struggle with such issues. We often forget to 'consult' with our Father on so many things, especially important ones like our kiddos Thank you for your courage, for your sharing and for the reminder

Blog Entries
    I knew that just like his mother, Nate had faith in the Lord, so even when you were worrying about his "natisms", I was sure that everything would work out for good. Well, I'm glad to see such a turn around so early in his life, and I'm thanking God with you that He has rewarded the faith of your little family in this way. Thank you so much for sharing this!
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

I don't want to put you on a downer but please realise that just because your child is performing well at school lately does not mean you son will continue at the same rate of learning for the next 10 years, arguably when learning matters most.

Most children, I believe level off or catch up to a "mean distribution" standard. Therefore most hopes and fears are generally misfounded, oh well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PraiseChrist View Post
    I don't want to put you on a downer but please realise that just because your child is performing well at school lately does not mean you son will continue at the same rate of learning for the next 10 years, arguably when learning matters most.

Most children, I believe level off or catch up to a "mean distribution" standard. Therefore most hopes and fears are generally misfounded, oh well.
    Yea I am very aware of that leveling out as you say, but I am also aware that usually happens early on in grade school. Boys tend to lag behind girls on certain subjects in grade school but then catch up. He did test for a learning disablity..not just a slow learner in some areas. Being 14 yr old now I don't think he is going to start having problems again..not unless there were some major upsets in his life. Things like death of a family member, divorce, moving..all that can affect grades of course. Learning actually matters the most in the very early years. The first five years of life is when a child learns the most actually. The brain continues to develop until age 25.

I am sorry you don't believe the Lord can heal a person of a learning disablity and open their minds to being able to learn and understand what they are taught in school without the extra help.

God bless

Thread Information