cure-real

Thread: Samson and his hair

Samson and his hair

In Judges why was Samson's strength said to be in his hair

Judges 16:17

So he told her all that was in his heart and said to her, ďA razor has never come on my head, for I have been a Nazirite to God from my motherís womb. If I am shaved, then my strength will leave me and I will become weak and be like any other man.Ē

I understand that it represented a commitment to God but he didnt break the commitment, he just got his head shaved while he slept. I also read that
    "The ancient Hebrews believed that a manís strength was in his hair. One of the reasons they thought this was because they had observed that when a person dies, the hair appeared to continued to grow for some time. Today we know that this is an optical illusion. But this is one of the reasons the Hebrew Nazarites did not shave. The hair was symbolic of divine strength, a sacred token and reminder that the Nazarite was dedicated to God."

So is it possible it was just assumed his strength was because of his hair?

I don't think that can just be assumed.

First, I believe Samson was in some lifelong Nazarene vow, which means he was never to cut his hair. Typically a Nazarene vow was temporary and the hair was offered as part of the sacrifice at the end. The hair belongs to God. Maybe Fenris will come and help me with the Hebrew word, but apparently there is a concept of laws given that have no real sense nor practical value. They are given to separate the law obedient from all other people, as well as act as a certain measure of faith.

So I believe keeping his hair was Samson's test of faith. Fairly "simple" for a man with herculean strength... just keep your hair for God in accordance with a Nazarene vow.

Now, the next important point is that Samson should have known better then to give up his secret. One would think he'd get the idea the first two times his wife had him bound up in an attempt to oppress him. So what does he do? He tells her the real secret the third time she asks.

Samson failed his test of faith, by surrendering that which was saved for God (something simple that he didn't even need!) to a woman he had every reason to believe would betray him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffinator View Post

So he told her all that was in his heart and said to her, “A razor has never come on my head, for I have been a Nazirite to God from my mother’s womb. If I am shaved, then my strength will leave me and I will become weak and be like any other man.”

I understand that it represented a commitment to God but he didnt break the commitment, he just got his head shaved while he slept. I also read that
    "The ancient Hebrews believed that a man’s strength was in his hair. One of the reasons they thought this was because they had observed that when a person dies, the hair appeared to continued to grow for some time. Today we know that this is an optical illusion. But this is one of the reasons the Hebrew Nazarites did not shave. The hair was symbolic of divine strength, a sacred token and reminder that the Nazarite was dedicated to God."

Samson broke his Nazirite vow in at least three ways: His hair was cut, for sure, but he also defiled himself with touching a dead body, the carcass of a dead lion, and he wandered off the beaten path and walked through a vineyard, where he was to stay away from grapes.

Persons who took on the Nazirite vow had to avoid all contact with the dead, and were not to have wine or anything to do with the vine--grapes or raisins, grape juice or vinegar--not even the seed, or skin of the grape.

Samson's strength was in the fact that the Lord set him apart even before birth. Nazirite comes from the Hebrew word, "nazir" which means "to set apart".

Samson represents the importance of refusing to compromise!

Agreeing with the others.
    Sampson's hair was not the means of his strength. His means of strength came from God by exercising his commitment and faith in God.

Sampson is a prime example of what can happen when we make use of what is customarily called "Cheap Grace" these days.
    In other words we use the grace that we have been given of Jesus' atonement on the cross as a liscense to sin instead of the forgiveness it was meant to be.

The only thing left that Sampson wanted was his appearance of being a Nazarite. He figured that his long days of service as a fitting judge would carry him. (25 years of faithful service)

It didn't

And when his sins of youth caught back up to him in his more stately years....it really caught up with him. And everyone paid for it.

Blog Entries
    All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no rasor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow. (Numbers 6:5)

When Samson's hair was cut it ended his nazarite vow. And he became like any other man. Nazarites like warriors were sort of like in a sacred state. There were certain things they weren't supposed to do. Samson's haircut interrupted his dedication to God. However later in chapter 16 Samson rededicates himself to God. And again God strengthens Samson so that he is able to destroy the temple of the Philistines and everyone in it. The story of Samson can teach us to stay focused on the mission. And not to get side tracked. And to stay dedicated to God. The book of Hebrews calls Samson a man of faith (Hebrews 11:32).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffinator View Post

So he told her all that was in his heart and said to her, “A razor has never come on my head, for I have been a Nazirite to God from my mother’s womb. If I am shaved, then my strength will leave me and I will become weak and be like any other man.”

"The ancient Hebrews believed that a man’s strength was in his hair. One of the reasons they thought this was because they had observed that when a person dies, the hair appeared to continued to grow for some time. Today we know that this is an optical illusion. But this is one of the reasons the Hebrew Nazarites did not shave. The hair was symbolic of divine strength, a sacred token and reminder that the Nazarite was dedicated to God."

Samson's hair is a symbol of Christ being the covering of every Christian, remove the covering of Christ and then be like every other without Christ. Keep yourself covered with Christ and all things are possible. When the covering is removed, repent and put Christ back on.

Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Bless you,
    Love Fountain

Thread Information