cure-real

Thread: Stay at home dad?and husbands role as provider.

Stay at home dad?and husbands role as provider.

What does the bible say about the husbands role as provider? Is there a such thing in the bible as a stay-at-home dad? where the wife provides financially and the husband stays home and cares for the children and house? what if the husband has a physical disablility where he can't work?

I'm not much help to you in looking to know what the bible says about househusbands but the bible says that we should'nt be lazy. I quit work when my son was 6 months old and my daughter was 1 1/2 years. Now that the children are more independant it gives me a chance to do voluntary work which is very satisfying and I can work around the childrens school times.

I've read the Bible from cover to cover many times and I have never read about a stay at home dad. Obviously if the husband is unable to work due to injury or illness the wife will have to work at providing for the family. But the norm is for wives to be homemakers and husbands the providers.

The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. Titus 2:3-5 (KJV)

In Genesis we read of God creating Adam first, then Eve as his helper suitable for him. After the fall it was said to Adam that he was to get his needs provided for by sweat and toil while for Eve the curse meant suffering in childbearing. I see the working wife and mother who doesn't absolutely have to work outside the home as carrying the man's curse as well as her own.

Blog Entries
    I would say that in many ways our church culture right now does not always allow for men to be the providers take mine and my classmates for example. I am in seminary right now, so I go to school most of the year and work part time while in school and full time while not in school. But even when I am not in school my wife is bringing in the bulk of the money because she is in her profession, while I work as an assistant.

Many of my classmates are in similar or slightly similar positions. A lot of them if they are married do not work in fact they have given up their jobs to moved near the campus and are in school many of them do not work part time jobs during the school year or in the summers. Some of them have lay pastor positions but not all. So they either rely on their church for money or the student loans and scholarships that they might be getting or on their wives to provide for the family.

The Bible does not come out and say it but Biblical scholars agree women were the ones giving financial support to the ministry of Jesus. Seeing as how Jesus took money from women I would say that there is no problem with house-husbands or stay-at-home dads as long as they are doing something.

Besides that the Bible was written in a specific culture and time and while some most truths in the Bible are timeless the culture and societal norms are not timeless.

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.
    Before the 1920's in America, and long after the 1920's everywhere else, the women worked just as hard as the men for the purpose of providing income or food and clothing for the family as the husband did.

Only with the widespread activity of the industrial revolution did people acquire enough income so that the wife did not HAVE to work "full time" at providing food and clothing for the family.

Each family must make the determinations of who works at what and how.

The concept of "stay at home mom" that sits on the couch and eats bonbons and plays bridge twice a week at the club is a satire sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbiKnife View Post
    Before the 1920's in America, and long after the 1920's everywhere else, the women worked just as hard as the men for the purpose of providing income or food and clothing for the family as the husband did.

Only with the widespread activity of the industrial revolution did people acquire enough income so that the wife did not HAVE to work "full time" at providing food and clothing for the family.

Each family must make the determinations of who works at what and how.

The concept of "stay at home mom" that sits on the couch and eats bonbons and plays bridge twice a week at the club is a satire sketch.
    Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsdaughter View Post
    What does the bible say about the husbands role as provider? Is there a such thing in the bible as a stay-at-home dad? where the wife provides financially and the husband stays home and cares for the children and house? what if the husband has a physical disablility where he can't work?
    Personally? I think men get the raw end of the deal with opinions on what it is to 'provide'. In life that can mean alot of things, but people tend to focus in on money. I don't see anything wrong with a stay at home father, because they can care for the home and children as women do. Just as the women provide traditionally in that area? That is also providing for men and their families.

You will run into people that claim if the roles are reversed it could be due to him being effeminate, which to me is just plain mean spirited.

As long as the couple is not being bums, and keeping busy to the best of their ability? To me God will be pleased. It is mankind that places 'rules' in place, and likes to shame those that don't adhere. Life is custom for everyone, and providing for a family is so much more than just money. Its time, dedication, love, etc. Don't let the defination box your family in!

Do what is right for your family, and don't worry about closed minded people that can't see past the end of their nose!
    Quote by Nancy Edwards that moved me.
    • Jesus is good and pure; our motives are always mixed.
    • Jesus speaks words of life; we speak words that protect our own sense of reality.
    • Jesus loves sinners and judges sin; we judge sinners and ignore sin.
    • Jesus is wise; we are dogmatic.
    • Jesus sees peopleís hearts; we see their defenses.
    • Jesus is very attractive to needy people; we are often the last place they would come.

Thread Information