cure-real

Thread: Does God Forgive AND Forget?

Blog Entries

Does God Forgive AND Forget?

I had someone ask 'How could an all knowing God forget anything?' Please provide scripture to support the notion that He forgives but does NOT forget.

Thanks in advance.
    As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Perhaps a better way to say it is he doesn't remember our sins.

Heb 8:12
    12 "For I will be merciful to their iniquities,
    And I will remember their sins no more."
    NASB
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Mark View Post
    Perhaps a better way to say it is he doesn't remember our sins.

Heb 8:12
    12 "For I will be merciful to their iniquities,
    And I will remember their sins no more."
    NASB
    I agree with the above BUT only after we have ASKED God to forgive us our sins with a sincere remorseful heart
    Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Does God Forgive AND Forget?

Jeremiah 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Isaiah 43:25 I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.

Isaiah 44:22 I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.

GOD forgets because he forgives unconditionaly.

1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Gulah let your friend know that we didn't make God in our image, he made us in his image, so he (your friend) must forgive himself in order to understand that God fogives us and never remembers our sins.
    Last edited by The Mighty Sword; Mar 3rd 2010 at 04:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mighty Sword,

Matthew 18:25-34...so God forgets, but He can re-remember? How can He re-remember something that he forgot unless He didn't really forget it?

Do you believe that when we 'forgive ourselves' that we should completely forget our past transgressions?

Brother Mark,

When you say He doesn't remember, do you mean that He becomes completely unaware of who we were/what we did pre-salvation?
    As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Quote Originally Posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post

Brother Mark,

When you say He doesn't remember, do you mean that He becomes completely unaware of who we were/what we did pre-salvation?
    We don't know much about it other than what is stated. But I will tell you what I think.

God is in complete control of his memory. He can choose whatever he wishes to think about. He chooses not to remember our sin and therefor, not to hold our past against us. To what level does he choose not to remember? I just kind of take him at his word on that one. Is he aware of my past sins? Well, he just doesn't choose to remember them. But I suppose he could at any moment he wished to do so.

What you're asking is the working of the mind of God and we are not told that in scripture. So the single best answer I can give... "I don't know". But I do know he doesn't remember my sins.
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Blog Entries
    When the Bible says "I will remember them no more" think "I will hold them against you no more"...
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Scripture boldy tells us that He 'remembers them no more'..

I'll take His Word for it.. and not walk in condemnation... and guilt .... thinking.confused. maybe He hasnt forgotten them or He still remembers them..

When God says something from His Word.. He means what He says..

He remembers them 'no more'...
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

Blog Entries
    זכר A primitive root; properly to mark (so as to be recognized), that is, to remember; by implication to mention; (make) mention (of), be mindful, recount, record (-er), remember, make to be remembered, bring (call, come, keep, put) to (in) remembrance, X still, think on, X well.

God will no longer hold it to your account, make mention of it, record it, etc. It is NOT that he cannot remember it.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

I can call to mind the time my now almost 30 year old son kicked me in the shin with a pair of dress shoes. It hurt. He was 2. What good does remembering that do? he has grown into someone who no longer kicks me. i DO remember often the laughter and the hugs - the kick, not so much.

Gulah Papyrus;2357977]Mighty Sword, Matthew 18:25-34...so God forgets, but He can re-remember? How can He re-remember something that he forgot unless He didn't really forget it?
    According to Isaiah he does:
    Isaiah 43:25 I, even I, am he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.

Do you believe that when we 'forgive ourselves' that we should completely forget our past transgressions?
    No, I think we should forgive ourselves and learn form our mistakes not to repeat them that's called repentence and then it becomes wisdom and my dear friend V had pointed out to me one fine day.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Missionary View Post
    זכר A primitive root; properly to mark (so as to be recognized), that is, to remember; by implication to mention; (make) mention (of), be mindful, recount, record (-er), remember, make to be remembered, bring (call, come, keep, put) to (in) remembrance, X still, think on, X well.

God will no longer hold it to your account, make mention of it, record it, etc. It is NOT that he cannot remember it.
    Do you 'believe' UM.. that He chooses to Remember them?

God calls us to Forgive even our most staunchest enemies... those that have harmed us the most..

When you forgive your staunchest enemy UM.. forgive them from the Heart.. you've forgiven them, yet You have what they did to you.. still in your memory bank...

if you 'hold them ' in your memory bank... isnt there a danger in that leading to bitterness and anger against them...causing a root of bitterness to spring forward...

I know many who say ' I forgive you'.... yet their fruit... does not match up with they say... they are bitter and hostile towards those that have wronged them... could it be that they have forgiven.. yet still hoding them accountable with that horrid memory of what they did to them?

Genuine Forgiveness from the Heart.. forgives and fogets.. walking In Freedom and Purity.. not remembering what others have done to them.. but forgiving them... and not allowing a 'root of bitterness' to spring forward because of a past transgression done against them.. yet remembered in the memory bank... feeding that bitter and hostile spirit...

this really has nothing to do with psychology.. as some would place it there.. but it has to do with Genuiness of Heart.... and Genuine Forgiveness..

Jesus told His Disciples to 'forgive' from the Heart.. and this means to fogive and forget.. choosing not to Hold them accountable after forgiving.. this leading to bitterness and anger... which is a Joy Stealer.. and who is the source of the stealing.. satan himself...

One does not have to go very far to see bitterness and anger displayed on this board.. hostility to others because of whats said...

its best to forgive and choose not to remember... and when you do this.. you wont give any ground for the enemy to come in and steal your freedom and Joy...

The Best Example of Forgiveness.. is to look to the Cross where Christ died for you... what were some of His Words?

Father, Forgive them. for they know not what they do..... this after beaten to a bloody pulp, hands and feet pierced, spit on , smacked in the Face, beard plucked out, crown of thorns drove deep into His Scalp...
    Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
    Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
    Jeremiah 31:3

Blog Entries
    That's all fine and everything, but me thinks I will stay with what the Bible actually says...

Ps 103:12 God removes our sin as far as the east is from the west.

The blood of Christ has washed our sins from us. When God looks at us He sees to blood of His Son. To bring our sin into rememberance God would need to first remove the blood of Christ from us. Only the devil uses our sinful flesh to remind us of our sin. God relies on the blood of Christ to keep our sin from His sight.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

I don't see scripture that tells me to forget. I can choose what to dwell on but I find it very difficult to keep thoughts from popping into my mind. I do see scripture that tells me to take my thoughts captive, to meditate on the word, to love my enemies and to forgive. But I can't find one verse where I am told to forget what happened. Why? Because I don't think we have the control over our mind that God has. God can choose to not remember. Me, I have to make it an ongoing process. I think VHayes stated it best earlier in this thread. She remembers what her son did, but she holds no animosity about it. It's completely forgiven in every sense of the word. But forget? It's in her mind. I am sure it rarely is remembered.

Anyway, we are not commanded to forget in the scriptures. We are commanded to forgive.
    NASU

Thread Information