cure-real
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Why was Jesus born of a virgin?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    859

    Why was Jesus born of a virgin?

    I’ve seen several people try to say that Jesus was born of a virgin so that He could avoid inheriting “original sin”, assuming that sin is transmitted somehow through the father, and not the mother.
    This is an assumption that has no basis in the Bible. It’s an attempt to hold to the unbiblical doctrine of inherited sin.
    Hebrews 2:10-18
    In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering. Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers. He says,
    "I will declare your name to my brothers;
    in the presence of the congregation I will sing your praises."

    And again,
    "I will put my trust in him."And again he says,
    "Here am I, and the children God has given me."

    Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendants. For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

    “It was fitting”

    Only someone who has been sinned against can forgive the offender. You can forgive me if I sin against you, but you can’t forgive me if I sin against my boss.

    Since we have all sinned against God, only God can forgive us.

    And God wants to show mercy on us and forgive us. However, every time He forgives sin, He is compromising His justice. There needs to be something that takes the place of justice. That’s called “atonement”.

    God provided the nation of Israel a means of atonement through the sacrificial system. But no animal, (or man) no matter how innocent it may be, is inadequate in atoning for our sin against God.

    The only sufficient atonement would be if God Himself became that atoning sacrifice.
    Since it was humanity that sinned against God, it was fitting that God become a man.

    Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit (remaining divine) and born of a woman (becoming a man) so that He could become the only eternally sufficient atoning sacrifice.
    You were made to think. It will do you good to think; to develop your powers by study. God designed that religion should require thought, intense thought, and should thoroughly develop our powers of thought.

    Charles G Finney



    http://holyrokker.blogspot.com

  2. #2
    I'm not sure who actually literally believes/teaches "inherited sin"? Surely even those talking about "original sin" must realise that it's more an issue of inherited death rather than inherited sin. Since unborn children die without having sinned. Jesus also died without having sinned.

    In any case your point about Heb2 is right, and Gal.4:4 makes it clear that having one human parent was enough to put Jesus "under the Law", since the Law relates to correcting the sin of Adam and his descendants, that places Jesus in the corner of his brethren. Heb4:14,5:7 too.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    storydweller
    Posts
    3,233
    Quote Originally Posted by holyrokker View Post
    I've seen several people try to say that Jesus was born of a virgin so that He could avoid inheriting original sin, assuming that sin is transmitted somehow through the father, and not the mother. This is an assumption that has no basis in the Bible. It's an attempt to hold to the unbiblical doctrine of inherited sin.
    I agree. I think it was for a sign to Israel, as per the context of Isa. 7:14.
    analyze. synthesize. repeat.

    *It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    suburb of judea
    Posts
    1,226
    Where some of this comes from is Genesis.

    In Genesis we read that Eve will have greatly increased pain in Childbearing. (IE...Sin hurts)

    Also in Genesis everything reproduces it's own kind. Adam and Eve sinned and gave birth to Cain...who in turn killed his brother Abel. "Sin begets/gives birth to more sin" is a recurring thread/theme in Genesis. This is why we state that man is sinful by nature and is in need of a savior. It is an inherited trait. Not by genetics but by spirit.

    Jesus is the God/Man who is our salvation...the bridge between the animosity man shows God and his Holiness. (Holiness being perfection, purity, and goodness)

    God is Holiest of the Holiest of the holy. A level of holiness that is unfathomable to us in our sinful state.

    Because man cannot save himself from this sin condition we are all born into, we need a savior from God.
    we cannot do anything to save ourselves...including following the simple commands God has told us for our benefit. So...a new "Adam" (as a title/position and not tag) is needed. A God/man who was not born by the will of a human but born of God to save us. Jesus is that Savior.

    Jesus has lived like one of us...gone through the tough teenage years and young adult years. He understands all of our issues today on a personal level...not as some kind of distant authority who doesn't understand the issues we face and never experienced any of it. He has been there and done that.

    God wants to restore the relationship between man and God that they once had. A very close and intimate relationship. That cannot ever come from a third party intermediary...such as another ordinary man.

    Man was the Author of the destruction of the original relationship....BUT GOD was/is/will be the Author of the restoration of the relationship. Always has and always will be.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,316
    Quote Originally Posted by holyrokker View Post
    The only sufficient atonement would be if God Himself became that atoning sacrifice.
    I believe in the Scripture doctrines of both the federal headship of Adam in which, as our God of the covenants declares, all Adam's descendants find "condemnation for all men" (Psalm 14:2-3; Eccl. 9:3; Romans 5; Eph. 2), and original sin (Prov. 22:15; Ps. 51:5; Eph. 2:2 ("sons of disobedience"), 3 ("children of wrath")); and yet I also firmly agree with the above quote and the Scripture reference used to support it. As to the question of the OP, "Why was Jesus born of a virgin?", I also find that God had many purposes for this, many of which are revealed in the Scriptures, and one of which is indeed that expressed in the above quote.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Waldorf MD
    Posts
    3,637
    Please excuse my upper case, I copied and pasted from one of my files.

    IF GOD BECOMES MAN, I EXPECT HIM TO:

    BE WITHOUT SIN
    MANIFEST THE SUPERNATURAL (MIRACLES, ACTS 2:22 JOHN 21:25)
    NATURE WILL OBEY HIM (MARK 4:41)
    BE ABOVE THE LAWS OF NATURE (MAT 14:25)
    HAVE AN ACUTE SENSE OF DIFFERENCE FROM OTHER MEN
    SPEAK THE GREATEST WORDS EVER SPOKEN (JOHN 7:46)
    HAVE A LASTING AND UNIVERSAL INFLUENCE ON MANKIND
    BE ABLE TO READ MINDS (1KING 8:39 JOHN 6:64 JOHN 2:25)
    BE ABLE TO TELL THE FUTURE (ISA 41:23 JOH 13:19)
    BE ABLE TO SATISFY THE SPIRITUAL HUNGER IN MAN
    EXCERCISE POWER OVER DEATH (ECC 8:8, JOHN 10:17-18)
    COULD NOT BE KILLED (JOHN 10:17-18)
    BE AWARE OF THINGS FAR OFF (JOHN 1:48)
    BE IMMUTABLE (DOES NOT CHANGE, HEB 13:8)
    RECEIVE WORSHIP (MAT 2:11 MAT 14:33 MAT 9:18, REV 19:10 REV 22:9)
    DEMONS WILL FEAR HIM (MAR 5:6-7; JAM 2:19)
    WOULD NOT BE TRAPPED BY MAN'S ARGUMENTS (JOHN 8:3-11 MAT 22:15-22)
    PROVIDE THE SOLUTION FOR SINS AND DEATH (LEV 17:11 HEB 9:22 ACTS 13:39 1JOHN 1:7)
    WILL NOT LIE (NUM 23:19; HEB 6:18)
    WILL NEVER APOLOGIZE (MAT 15:12-14)
    WILL NEVER HAVE TO REPRASE OR CORRECT ANY OF HIS WORDS
    WILL NEVER SAY "EXCUSE ME, PARDON ME, SORRY, WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY..., LET ME SAY IT THIS OTHER WAY, MAY I..., ETC.
    WILL NOT RECEIVE COUNSEL OF MAN (MAT 16:22-23; JOHN 7:3-5)
    HIS ARRIVAL WILL BE MOST IMPORTANT EVENT IN HISTORY, HISTORY WILL BE MEASURED RELATIVE TO HIS ARRIVAL AND I EXPECT HIM TO ...
    HAVE AN UNUSUAL ENTRANCE INTO THE WORLD

    That last one in bold, is why I believe Jesus had to be born of a virgin.

    Shalom

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    559
    This has everything to do with Jesus Christ being fully human (Jesus) and fully God (Christ). Obviously His mother needed to conceive by a non-human for this to take place. Had His father been human, He would have been fully human (only).
    Phl 4:11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2,771
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven3 View Post
    Since unborn children die without having sinned. Jesus also died without having sinned.
    Both may not have committed sin but both HAD sin. Christ could not have died unless he first took the sins of the world upon himself. Hopefully they still teach this in Sunday school. Second concerning the unborn, they could not have died UNLESS they had sin.

    SIN AND SIN ALONE brings forth death.

    Though some may say well the unborn child was murdured aborted but still the law of sin applies. If it were for the child to be sinless God would have made it where the child would have not been in the position to die like his son. His son could only die (knowing God would keep him alive from any threat of death) when he voluntarily accepted death.


    Sin is inherited, sin comes before death.

    Mark

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    milton keynes
    Posts
    16,102
    Quote Originally Posted by holyrokker View Post
    I’ve seen several people try to say that Jesus was born of a virgin so that He could avoid inheriting “original sin”, assuming that sin is transmitted somehow through the father, and not the mother.
    This is an assumption that has no basis in the Bible. It’s an attempt to hold to the unbiblical doctrine of inherited sin.
    Hebrews 2:10-18
    In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering. Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers. He says,
    "I will declare your name to my brothers;
    in the presence of the congregation I will sing your praises."

    And again,
    "I will put my trust in him."And again he says,
    "Here am I, and the children God has given me."

    Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's descendants. For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

    “It was fitting”

    Only someone who has been sinned against can forgive the offender. You can forgive me if I sin against you, but you can’t forgive me if I sin against my boss.

    Since we have all sinned against God, only God can forgive us.

    And God wants to show mercy on us and forgive us. However, every time He forgives sin, He is compromising His justice. There needs to be something that takes the place of justice. That’s called “atonement”.

    God provided the nation of Israel a means of atonement through the sacrificial system. But no animal, (or man) no matter how innocent it may be, is inadequate in atoning for our sin against God.

    The only sufficient atonement would be if God Himself became that atoning sacrifice.
    Since it was humanity that sinned against God, it was fitting that God become a man.

    Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit (remaining divine) and born of a woman (becoming a man) so that He could become the only eternally sufficient atoning sacrifice.
    That he would be born of God.

    Jn 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

    Firstfruits

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    174
    Yes, Jesus most certainly was born of a virgin. And that virgin's name is Mary.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    51
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quite simply because He is the Son of God.

  12. #12
    Ross
    Quote Originally Posted by ross3421 View Post
    Both may not have committed sin but both HAD sin. Christ could not have died unless he first took the sins of the world upon himself. Hopefully they still teach this in Sunday school. Second concerning the unborn, they could not have died UNLESS they had sin.
    I don't know whether this is or is not taught in Sunday School, the question would be whether it can be demonstrated from the Bible.
    1. unborn children have not "sinned", so apart from Ps51 "conceived in iniquity" where is the Bible verse that says "[unborn children] have sin" (I'm just asking for a ref)
    2. Christ would have died whether he had been obedient to his Father (taking the cup, taking our sins upon him) or whether he had not been obedient (let this cup pass by me) because he was mortal. If he was not mortal nails and wood would not have killed him. Mortality is not a direct function of actual sin.

    SIN AND SIN ALONE brings forth death.

    Though some may say well the unborn child was murdured aborted but still the law of sin applies. If it were for the child to be sinless God would have made it where the child would have not been in the position to die like his son. His son could only die (knowing God would keep him alive from any threat of death) when he voluntarily accepted death.
    This seems a theolgical position rather than anything explicit in the Bible. Unborn children die so are mortal. Mortality is a result of Adam's sin, so can be considered a result of sin. But can we really use language that says that babies "have sin", that Christ "had sin"?? I'd like to see references before taking any further position.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Discussion The Significance That JESUS CHRIST be Virgin-Born...
    By THOM in forum Bible Chat
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: May 17th 2009, 03:43 AM
  2. A virgin birth prophecy or a defense of Jesus?
    By Olddad in forum Christians Answer
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Feb 26th 2009, 03:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •