cure-real

Thread: CD and MP3 CD

CD and MP3 CD

I would like to know what the difference is between CD and MP3 CD
    and which one holds more information, and which is better.

Also, are they both the same size, and will MP3 CD work in any DVD drive

Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by ohlurdy View Post

Thank you very much
    CD and DVD are just containers for data, much like records, tapes, and 8-tracks were. Though CDs and DVDs look the same, a DVD can store substantially more data than a CD can.

MP3s are a type of data. Music (or any other audio for that matter) stored digitally with certain specific properties. What makes the MP3 so great is the sound quality you can achieve in such a small file size.

With those definitions in mind, when I hear "MP3 CD" I interpret that as a CD that is currently storing MP3 files as opposed to other data. It should definitely work in a DVD drive.

Does that answer your questions?

Blog Entries

Thank you very much
    If you're talking about an audio CD and an MP3 CD it's just an issue of what format they use to store the music. As HisLeast already said, MP3s allow you to store music in a compressed form, producing a remarkable sound quality in a relatively small file. Typically you'll get more tracks on a CD if you convert them to MP3 format, especially if you rip your music at a lower bit-rate. Lower bit-rates mean lower quality audio but unless you're a real audiophile you probably won't notice much difference. If you're listening to it in the car or on the train I'd be surprised if even a real audiophile could tell much difference when engine or track noise is added to the mix.

Which is better will depend largely on how you define "better". If you're looking to get a lot more music on the same amount of media then MP3 wins. If you're looking for the ultimate in audio quality you may find a regular CD wins. If you're looking for compatibility with the oldest CD players (specifically those produced before MP3 was even invented) you'll need a regular audio CD.

They are the same size, a CD is a CD is a CD, it's just down to how you store the data on them. Most modern DVD players should play them - look to see if "MP3 CD" is listed among the formats a drive can cope with to make sure. Or just plug it in and see if it reads it - the worst that will happen is that it won't play.
    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries
    I usually copy about 100-150 MP3 files to a CD and toss it in my DVD player and listen to the mix all day. As long as the DVD player can read MP3's then you can create a large list of songs.

The limitations with this is that many CD players don't read MP3's so such a disc would be silent in the music CD player. Many newer car CD players can play MP3's which is great because if you have a multi-disc player, you can put a TON of music into the player.

The typical MP3 file is about 5-8MBs in size while a music file is usually about 75-100MBs. So based on this audio format of data, you can see how many more MP3s can fit on a CD. When I burn a regular music CD from Mp3's, the process converts the smaller MP3 into the larger music file format and then burns each song onto the CD. Usually I limit my music CDs to about 15 songs max. My car CD player cannot read MP3's so I make music mixes from my MP3s.
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HisLeast View Post
    CD and DVD are just containers for data, much like records, tapes, and 8-tracks were. Though CDs and DVDs look the same, a DVD can store substantially more data than a CD can.

MP3s are a type of data. Music (or any other audio for that matter) stored digitally with certain specific properties. What makes the MP3 so great is the sound quality you can achieve in such a small file size.

With those definitions in mind, when I hear "MP3 CD" I interpret that as a CD that is currently storing MP3 files as opposed to other data. It should definitely work in a DVD drive.

Does that answer your questions?
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    If you're talking about an audio CD and an MP3 CD it's just an issue of what format they use to store the music. As HisLeast already said, MP3s allow you to store music in a compressed form, producing a remarkable sound quality in a relatively small file. Typically you'll get more tracks on a CD if you convert them to MP3 format, especially if you rip your music at a lower bit-rate. Lower bit-rates mean lower quality audio but unless you're a real audiophile you probably won't notice much difference. If you're listening to it in the car or on the train I'd be surprised if even a real audiophile could tell much difference when engine or track noise is added to the mix.

Which is better will depend largely on how you define "better". If you're looking to get a lot more music on the same amount of media then MP3 wins. If you're looking for the ultimate in audio quality you may find a regular CD wins. If you're looking for compatibility with the oldest CD players (specifically those produced before MP3 was even invented) you'll need a regular audio CD.

They are the same size, a CD is a CD is a CD, it's just down to how you store the data on them. Most modern DVD players should play them - look to see if "MP3 CD" is listed among the formats a drive can cope with to make sure. Or just plug it in and see if it reads it - the worst that will happen is that it won't play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    I usually copy about 100-150 MP3 files to a CD and toss it in my DVD player and listen to the mix all day. As long as the DVD player can read MP3's then you can create a large list of songs.

The limitations with this is that many CD players don't read MP3's so such a disc would be silent in the music CD player. Many newer car CD players can play MP3's which is great because if you have a multi-disc player, you can put a TON of music into the player.

The typical MP3 file is about 5-8MBs in size while a music file is usually about 75-100MBs. So based on this audio format of data, you can see how many more MP3s can fit on a CD. When I burn a regular music CD from Mp3's, the process converts the smaller MP3 into the larger music file format and then burns each song onto the CD. Usually I limit my music CDs to about 15 songs max. My car CD player cannot read MP3's so I make music mixes from my MP3s.
    I see the friendly neighborhood geeks are all here... Where's Logan???
    Slug1--out

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

HisLeast, tango, and Slug1, thanks a bunch

That's a lot of good information. Just when I thought my brain had aligned itself with the tech planets
    because it decided to buy a computer, get a wireless router, and a provider I also have to learn all
    of this CD, MP3 CD, CD Rider, etc...

Now I need to learn how to design a webpage, get a domain name, and host

Blog Entries
    HisLeast, tango, and Slug1, thanks a bunch

That's a lot of good information. Just when I thought my brain had aligned itself with the tech planets
    because it decided to buy a computer, get a wireless router, and a provider I also have to learn all
    of this CD, MP3 CD, CD Rider, etc...

Now I need to learn how to design a webpage, get a domain name, and host
    At the top right corner of this page is a link named webhosting, leads to WebNET77 and all this can be facilitated.
    Slug1--out

Thread Information