cure-real

Thread: Easiest to Read and Understand Bible Translation?

Easiest to Read and Understand Bible Translation?

In your opinion, which translation of the Bible is the easiest to read and understand?

I've looked at the NLT (believe I even have a couple copies of this translation) as well as the NIV. Both seem pretty easy to read and understand.

I've also read that The Message/Remix 2.0 is extremely easy to read...'reads like a story', but have seen it criticized for not being completely accurate.

I would like to find a Bible (with decent size print) that is extremely easy to read and understand.

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

TripleB

For my money I'd say you try out the HCSB. Holman Christian Standard Bible. It's become one of my favorite translations.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    For my money I'd say you try out the HCSB. Holman Christian Standard Bible. It's become one of my favorite translations.
    I also like this one as well as the NKJV. These are the two I always use.
    Slug1--out

~Does Predestination mean: Once of the devil, Always of the devil?~

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

~Three minutes is a lifetime, if you only have two, too live~

I recommend not using the NLT. It does a horrible job in its translation. The translators constantly insert words or phrases into the text that were never there in the original languages; these changes are unfaithful to the original Scriptures, and can drastically alter an interpretation of the text.

I would recommend the NIV, the ESV, or the NET.

Personally, the ESV is my daily preference. But it's good to use multiple versions of the Bible to get a much fuller understanding of a passage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
    In your opinion, which translation of the Bible is the easiest to read and understand?

I've looked at the NLT (believe I even have a couple copies of this translation) as well as the NIV. Both seem pretty easy to read and understand.

I've also read that The Message/Remix 2.0 is extremely easy to read...'reads like a story', but have seen it criticized for not being completely accurate.

I would like to find a Bible (with decent size print) that is extremely easy to read and understand.

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

TripleB
    I think the NKJV is a pretty easy to read translation and one thing I like about it is that any words that were added by the translators are in Italics so you know they were not in the original text.

I would have to say the NKJV since its a good word for word translation. I would stay away from the NLT and The Message, they are paraphrases. Another good one to read that is word for word is the NASB. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    For the easiest to read and understand I would say go with the ESV. Another one that is a good translation that is pretty easy to read and understand would be the NASU. It is the updated NASB (New American Standard Bible). Most of the bibles in the store labeled NASB today are actually the NASU version.
    I am a Christian man in the Devil's land, spreading the gospel man to man.
    Have you laid your burdens down?

I have an 'Apologetics' Bible that is the HCSB. It's a little too nice to take to work with me, would prefer to have a hardcover to carry back and forth.

Now I have to decide whether to get another HCSB (that's a hardcover) or go with a different translation, probably the ESV or NIV. In reading them side by side the HCSB seems a bit easier to read...is it as accurate as the ESV and NIV?

Thanks for all the input so far...it's been a fantastic help.

TripleB

http://www.theword.gr/
    this website allow you to download a very powerful and useful bible software with many kind of bible translations, can can compare those translations at once.
    besides, there are many commentaries and dictionaries for download too, most importantly it is free, and you can give offering.

Your in good and gentle hands with the NKJV
    ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Thread Information