cure-real

Thread: Definition of terms in 2 Peter 1:5

Definition of terms in 2 Peter 1:5

2Pe 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge,
    2Pe 1:6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness,
    2Pe 1:7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.

Could I ask for some help in giving a definition along with bible verses which expound in detail on these attributes named here?

Faith
    Virture
    Knowledge
    Self-control
    Steadfastness
    Godliness
    Brotherly affection
    Love

Thanks.
    Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

no one? 10 char
    Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Quote Originally Posted by ThyWordIsTruth View Post
    2Pe 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge,
    2Pe 1:6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness,
    2Pe 1:7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.

Could I ask for some help in giving a definition along with bible verses which expound in detail on these attributes named here?

Faith
    Virture
    Knowledge
    Self-control
    Steadfastness
    Godliness
    Brotherly affection
    Love

Thanks.
    I think Peter means to say something like: now that you are a believer, add to that virtue. The rest of the terms are a list of virtues:

Knowledge:

The word translated "knowledge" here can also mean "understanding", which is a virtue. I think Peter wants his readers to listen to each other sympathetically, taking the time to understand the other person. Giving people the space to make mistakes, and allowing them to explain their experience in their own words.

Self-Control:

Another areta (virtue) is tp exercise complete control over one's desires and actions. I think patience is related to this virtue as well. When the Bible talks about not being quick to anger, it's talking about self control. When it talks about avoiding base desires, it is talking about self control. The opposite of self control is carelessness, thoughtless, and impetuous.

Perseverance:

Perseverence is endurance: the capacity to continue to bear up under difficult circumstances, especially when other people make life difficult. I have met a couple of people who have mentioned to me something that I have felt myself, that if God would save everyone around me, life would go much easier for ME. Wouldn't life be great (for me) if God fixed you all? Well, God isn't going to fix everyone or change everyone into a sweet humble person, easy to get along with. People are going to be a royal pain. And so, a virtue on Peter's list is "perseverance", keeping the faith under duress.

Godliness:

Godliness is the opposite of worldliness. The difference between the two is found in what each of them promises, what they deliver, and what they expect. To be "worldly" is to act like the world expects us to act, and to think like the world thinks. To be Godly, is to act the way God acts and to agree with God's perspective concerning what it means to be human. The worldly man expects much from the world and very little from God; but the Godly man expects much from God and very little from the world. Since the Godly man or woman has simpatico with God, he or she will want to mimic God's character, and his love for other people.

Brotherly love:

Philodelphia: a compound Greek word from "phileo:love" and "adelphos:brother". This has two meanings for a Christian: love for neighbor, i.e. fellow man; and love for another Christian. Jesus gives us a sign that we are indeed his followers if we love one another. He points out that if we become one of his disciples we will most likely be hated of the world. If they hate me, he said, they will hate you. And so hatred of a Christian man or woman is the mark of someone who is not one of his.

Love:

I doube any explanation is needed here. The Christian virtue of love goes beyond worldly expectations. We are commanded to love our enemies, for instance. We are encouraged to love the unlovable too. We are exhorted to love those people the world has abandoned, or people the world has marginalized. We don't need to be reminded to love children, but in Jesus day it was common place to despise the weak and helpless, including children.

Hi BroRog, thanks for the reply.

Do you think virtue refers to moral virtue? i.e. the fruits of the Spirit?

I also thought knowledge referred to knowledge of the Scriptures.

Peter gives no elaboration and my Bible references didn't make much sense to me.

For e.g. the cross reference in my Bible for virtue was:
    Php 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

And the cross reference for knowledge says:
    1Pe 3:7 Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

Hi BroRog, thanks for the reply.

Do you think virtue refers to moral virtue? i.e. the fruits of the Spirit?
    Yes. Paul's list of the fruits of the spirit is like a list of virtues. We tend to define morality in terms of God's law. But we can also define morality in terms of virtues, which describe what a good human being ought to do. Benjamin Francklin's list of virtues reflects his pragmatism. Aristotle spoke about the ultimate "telos" of the human being as being "eudaimonia", roughly translated "happiness." Socrates talked about the unexamined life, and the life worth living. Paul, the apostle taught us to behave in a manner worthy of the Gospel, and John taught us to reflect on our ultimate goal, i.e. to be like Christ, and to purify ourselves as ones who anticipated that goal. The point is, we derive our ethics, our virtues from our conception of who we are and who we ultimately want to be. And unlike laws which tend to focus on the negative, i.e. thou shalt not, virtues tend to focus on the positive, i.e. be humble.

I also thought knowledge referred to knowledge of the Scriptures.
    Maybe it does. I think knowledge of the scriptures can be a good thing. I might have been hasty in my earlier conclusion. Looking back at verse 3 again I see that Peter has made a close association between "godliness" and "the true knowledge of him who called us", which is a thought he repeats again in verse 8. Knowledge in this case, then, would be more than expertise, education, or a command of the facts. To have true knowledge of Jesus Christ, it seems to me, is to live the truth he taught to the best of our ability. To know him is to imitate him and to imitate him is to worship him.

Re: Definition of terms in 2 Peter 1:5

my Bible references didn't make much sense to me.

For e.g. the cross reference in my Bible for virtue was:
    Php 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
    whatever is true, honorable, just & pure; do seem to be in context with virtue...

since the opposites would be; false, dishonorable, unjust & defiled...

= virtues being beneficial... opposites being detrimental (simply put anyway)

Re: Definition of terms in 2 Peter 1:5

Quote Originally Posted by BroRog View Post

Godliness:

Godliness is the opposite of worldliness. The difference between the two is found in what each of them promises, what they deliver, and what they expect. To be "worldly" is to act like the world expects us to act, and to think like the world thinks. To be Godly, is to act the way God acts and to agree with God's perspective concerning what it means to be human. The worldly man expects much from the world and very little from God; but the Godly man expects much from God and very little from the world. Since the Godly man or woman has simpatico with God, he or she will want to mimic God's character, and his love for other people.
    that God's perspective IS the opposite of worldly perspective...
    & those who truly follow God, WILL think & act differently

Humility Cures Worldliness {James 4 NKJV}

4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
    5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?
    6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:
    “God resists the proud,
    But gives grace to the humble.”

7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
    8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
    9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.
    10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

Thread Information