cure-real

Thread: self centered, Christ centered life

self centered, Christ centered life

Hi

I've got this question.What I've read and heard self centered life is considered to be very negative as something very bad because we put ourselves first, follow your own desires, want to do our own will which is wrong and to be saved you need to put Christ in the center of your life. It's clear for me but at the same time if I think of the reasons you might have to put Christ in the center of yoru life, they might be egocentric as well.If you know that only Christ can bring you joy, hanpiness ,fulfill your life wholly so aren't that egocentric reasons as well? It's not any better because we also do it for our own reasons to be happy because we know God will make us happy so in this was we think of ourseleves as well. We might behave differently,do better things but isnt it because we focus on ourselves to make ourselves happy? Could anyone specify it to me than more clearly? I hope i made sense.Thanks

Blog Entries
    Hi Katiee, I'm glad you are here! Thanks for asking such a thought provoking question!

I guess for some people they are looking to a relationship with Jesus for selfish reasons. I remember when I was 10 years old and deciding to accept Jesus as my Savior. My motive was two-fold: 1) I didn't want to go to hell because life was hell enough and 2) I wanted God to make the bad stuff stop. So, yes, at that point, I was approaching the question from more of a "let's make a deal" point of view. Let me tell you what I learned: God don't make bargains or trades or deals. Through a very long process I had to learn that a relationship with God required that I come to Him without any alterior motives. I had to lay my agenda down and say "Your will, not mine, be done."

There are many people in this world for whom choosing Christ is anything but a guarantee of happiness and joy on this earth. They are persecuted and killed for their faith. But, what they experience on the spiritual level and what they know awaits them after this life is worth the sacrifice. Really, we should all have that attitude. If we do, then no matter how difficult this life is, we will have joy and happiness because our relationship with Christ. And, if we have blessings in abundance, it should not make us boastful but rather humble.

Blog Entries
    I serve God because of who He is, not what he can do for me. The perks are admittedly nice, but it has nothing to do with why I serve Him.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Here's the thing. God made us that way. He desires that we have joy, fuller life, satisfaction. But he wants us to find those things in Him.

I too came seeking selfish things, but as I pressed in on God I saw that it ultimately was about depending on him completely and surrendering my wants to his will. But in that is undefinable joy! So now like the other posters, I no longer worry about what I want as much as I do what he wants.
    \o/ Every heartbeat for your glory!

Thank you for all the answears. So what I've understood it is that you can have selfish motives when you come to Christ but later it can change because you get to know Him better and who He truly is? Can God change your attitude after you to get to know Him so you dont want to follow your own desires anymore?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katiee View Post
    Thank you for all the answears. So what I've understood it is that you can have selfish motives when you come to Christ but later it can change because you get to know Him better and who He truly is? Can God change your attitude after you to get to know Him so you dont want to follow your own desires anymore?
    We come to God with all our selfishness and sin and God begins the work of changing us into His image. Many people think they can't come to God until they are "good enough". That's not the way of it at all. We came. We give ourselves to God. He molds and changes and makes us better.

Quote Originally Posted by katiee View Post
    Absolutely! He has to. We can't do it. One of the deepest understandings of faith is that it is God's nature at work within us changing us to be more like his Son. The very thing God wants from us, he literally provides for us. Our part in it is dependence and trust. As we trust and enter in to what he's asking of us and depend on him to do these things in us, He does them because it simply pleases him. That's my God! He helps me become what he wants me to be simply because he wants to, it gives him pleasure to do so.

I work with a lot of folks in recovery from addictions. I'll take the alcoholic for an example, but plug in any addiction if you want. When the alcoholic says, that's it, I'm going to quit, he stops drinking. In the beginning he suffers terribly through the withdrawals, but if he somehow finds the strength to muster through that, then he has to live with this desire that still wants to drink. And although he's not drinking, he still suffers terribly because his entire being wants a drink and there's this constant tension and angst for that desire to be satisfied. But the alcoholic in relationship with God finds a strength not of his own to help him and then one day wakes and there is no desire. God has taken it. Secular recovery says they will be addicts forever and they must continue to work their program forever. But God says I will make you an overcomer. I will remove the desire by changing you to be like my Son and you will not suffer anymore, I will heal you.

Hope that speaks to ya!
    \o/ Every heartbeat for your glory!

Blog Entries
    Self-centeredness isn't the problem. The problem is that people become a "law unto themselves" and decide they can follow their own rules and whatever suits them best.

The problem, really, is self-worship. When we set ourselves on the throne that belongs to God, when we want to decide right from wrong, when we want to follow our own rules and live by our own code. If everyone does that, then we have chaos on our hands. You share the world with 9 BILLION people. If everybody does whatever they want, then you have battles on your hands and people setting their will and their ideas against others in order to have their own way by whatever means necessary. That's how you get murder and war, and rape and violence, and all those things that make life menacing for the rest of us who just want some peace and quiet and get along. Because in such a system where there is no unifying code that applies to everyone, who gets to decide whose will counts for more than somebody else's? People with the biggest weapons and greatest resolve to push however far it takes to get whatever they want. That's why people need alarm systems and watch dogs and are afraid to go outside. That's why our prisons are full to overflowing. That's why our court rooms are full of frivolous law suits that make zero sense. That's why people get divorced and families get split up and relationships get ruined. That's why there are dictatorships in other countries with military force. That's why world peace is never going to happen because we can't even get along with the people in our own families or next door to us.

See?

Jesus came to do God's will, and He lived by God's code. Because good and evil, right and wrong, is for God to decide, not us. We didn't create ourselves, nor did we create the universe, so we don't get to play God. That doesn't stop us from trying though, does it?

So when the Bible speaks of a person following Christ, they do so in submission to God's already defined standards. They do so with the realization that there is a God, and I'm not Him.

Yes, only Jesus can bring true joy. Only He can raise people from the dead and give us life. Only He can change us from the inside out and turn us right side up. But He also calls us to lay our lives down for others, and to die for them (or Him) if necessary. No egocentric person would do so naturally, and serve other people and put them ahead of one's self, and put love first and not self-service or self-centeredness, and definitely not self-worship.

Thank you.That really makes sense to me now.

Thread Information