15 41.67%
  • once per quarter

6 16.67%
  • other:

7 19.44%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Observing the Lord's Supper

Observing the Lord's Supper

Doing some research for a little article I'm writing on the Lord's Supper and wondering how different churches observe this ordinance.

How often does your church observe this and why do you do it that often? Do you think the Bible indicates how often churches should observe the Lord's Supper?

My church takes part once per quarter in communion, but I have no idea as to why. Maybe they have always done it that way, I don't know. I have heard people voice their concerns that doing it too frequently could cause it to lose importance or puts the church in danger of abusing it; I have heard others say that doing it infrequently does not properly acknowledge the command to observe the Lord's Supper.

Would like to hear your responses.
    Thanks
    Last edited by CaptainM; May 21st 2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Added explanation
    "To live is Christ..." - Philippians 1:21

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.
    Once a month because the book of church order says so.

They Bible does not say how frequently, although my personal opinion is that the early believers observed it at every meal.

I've had the rare occasion when, having dinner in a restaurant with friends, someone would reach out, take the break, hold it up, break it, and start the phrase "On the night that Jesus was to be arrested and then crucified, He took the bread, and broke it, and said "Take, this is my body...."

Gotta love it when church breaks out in a restaurant.

Once a month as well for our church, and probably a church order issue as well.
    It is only the cynic who claims “to speak the truth” at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth… He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men. He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought and at the human weakness which “cannot bear the truth”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in Ethics.

My former church and my current church both observe it once a month.

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries
    Once a month at the church I attend.
    Slug1--out

~At the end of the day, the Cross we bear... is small!~

~Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,~

~"It is one thing to speak God's name in a message but another to speak of God's standards in a message. The name of God is not removed from many a message today but the standards of God... ARE removed."~

~"Psalm 106:23 Therefore He said that He would destroy them, Had not Moses His chosen one stood before Him in the breach, To turn away His wrath, lest He destroy them."...
    So don't say that God never meant to destroy the Hebrews, to do so, makes God a liar.~

At my church it's weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainM View Post

How often does your church observe this and why do you do it that often? Do you think the Bible indicates how often churches should observe the Lord's Supper?
    The apostolic church observed the Lord's Supper every "first day of the week"...
    Upon the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul discoursed with them. ~ Acts 20:7

But every Lord's day do ye gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure....(Didache, 90 AD)

Blog Entries
    My church does corporate communion (Lord's Supper) infrequently. Why? I honestly couldn't tell you. I'd like to see it done more often. I say "corporate" because many of us do communion in our homes, either singly or as family units. Our church bookstore has available these individual communion "to-go" cups. Some people take communion thusly during times of fasting and/or a regular time of personal/family communion.

Jesus didn't say how often to take communion, just that we should as a time of remembrance.

As part of the communion team I would say once a month.
    If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

I constantly marvel how the Lords own ordinance get shoved to the back burner or become monthly or annual events but the rock music and all that becomes a never miss, first day , mid week, when ever the saints assemble.

Jesus said if you love me keep my commandments. LOrds supper is a commandment. If you are not observing...You don't love Him. How can you trivialize His commands and then expect to placate Him with dancing and rock music?

If I understand the Bible, if you aint partaking, you have NO part of Him. John 6:53

The Lords supper (like Baptism) is NOT negotiable. (Acts 2:42)

all the best...

all the best...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I constantly marvel how the Lords own ordinance get shoved to the back burner or become monthly or annual events but the rock music and all that becomes a never miss, first day , mid week, when ever the saints assemble.

Jesus said if you love me keep my commandments. LOrds supper is a commandment. If you are not observing...You don't love Him. How can you trivialize His commands and then expect to placate Him with dancing and rock music?

If I understand the Bible, if you aint partaking, you have NO part of Him. John 6:53

The Lords supper (like Baptism) is NOT negotiable. (Acts 2:42)

all the best...

all the best...
    Do you take communion everyday? Do you meet together with believers every day? Do you own property or share it communally with other believers?

Act 2:45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all [men], as every man had need.
    Act 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

John 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

Unless I'm mistaken, that verse has nothing to do with communion and everything to do with salvation. Communion is to be done, not as a way of salvation, but as a remembrance of it.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure how often we partake of the Lord's Supper but I believe it's once per quarter. The scriptures also point out "for as often as you partake". Not specifying how often. It's our heart He looks at..are we right with Him and with our brothers and sisters in Christ.
    Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
    Psalm 62:5

I said Other: twice a month, second and fourth Sunday.
    In Christ,

-- Rev

“To preserve the government we must also preserve morals. Morality rests on religion; if you destroy the foundation, the superstructure must fall. When the public mind becomes vitiated and corrupt, laws are a nullity and constitutions are waste paper.” – Daniel Webster, 4th of July, 1800, Oration at Hanover, N.H.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainM View Post
    Doing some research for a little article I'm writing on the Lord's Supper and wondering how different churches observe this ordinance.

My church takes part once per quarter in communion, but I have no idea as to why. Maybe they have always done it that way, I don't know. I have heard people voice their concerns that doing it too frequently could cause it to lose importance or puts the church in danger of abusing it; I have heard others say that doing it infrequently does not properly acknowledge the command to observe the Lord's Supper.

Would like to hear your responses.
    Thanks
    Acts 20:7
    Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight.
    BelieversNotes.com - Bible Study Notes
    End Times - The Days We Live in Short Video

For it is better that he say to you, 'Come up here,' Than that you should be put lower in the presence of the prince, Whom your eyes have seen. ~ Proverbs 25:7

Blog Entries
    Once a week in my church

Thread Information