cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chick Flicks

Blog Entries

Chick Flicks

So, Sex and the City 2 just came out. WOOPUDEEDOOH!!!!!! I never even saw the first one. The TV show itself was so nauseating, why would I spend 7 dollars to go watch that tripe in a theatre?

A few mornings ago, I was listening to a couple of ladies on the radio discussing this movie, and how great it was. They said that it would make for a great ladies' evening out. Hmmm....interesting. From what I recall, this movie was about nothing more than the sex lives of these 4 single women living in New York. Why would I be interested in watching that?!

The thing that gets me is that the show makes these women out to be such savvy, sophisticated individuals. Rubbish!!! I'd almost rather watch Girls Next Door...at least those girls aren't putting on some pseudo-sophisticated facade.

I'm not mch of a moviegoer anymore, but it just seems like most women-oriented movies these days are sending us the message that the women we are expected to look up to and idealize are immoral, materialistic, independent.

No thanks!! It's enough that HBO tortured us for ten seasons with Sex and the City -- must they REALLY make it into a cinematic enterprise as well?!

What are your thoughts?

Rejoicing for mama in Heaven although she's sorely missed but being changed by Daddy while talking to Him in dreams, while he showers me with blessings afterwards
    Blog Entries
    I dislike those shows too....... makes me glad we don't have a tv anymore.......

I don't think a movie was necessary too, but that's where they can earn money with, so that's what they do......

Charles' brother sent us a movie with George Clooney...... it looked good, but in one of the first scenes he cursed and then I really don't want to watch it anymore..... fell asleep halfway anyway..... thank God for that!

Love you lots,
    Mieke
    So come on, let Me dream, let Me dream for you
    I am strong when you're weak and I'll carry you
    So let go of your plan, be caught by My hand
    I'll show you what I can do
    When I dream for you
    I have a dream for you

Casting Crowns

yea, those storylines are so old anymore, and immoral.i guess they rely on sex scenes and swearing because "writers" today have no clue on how to be creative, and um, write,lol.
    I am not who I was 10 years ago, and I'm not who I will be in 10 years, thanks to Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by Welder4Christ View Post
    So, Sex and the City 2 just came out. WOOPUDEEDOOH!!!!!! I never even saw the first one. The TV show itself was so nauseating, why would I spend 7 dollars to go watch that tripe in a theatre?

A few mornings ago, I was listening to a couple of ladies on the radio discussing this movie, and how great it was. They said that it would make for a great ladies' evening out. Hmmm....interesting. From what I recall, this movie was about nothing more than the sex lives of these 4 single women living in New York. Why would I be interested in watching that?!

The thing that gets me is that the show makes these women out to be such savvy, sophisticated individuals. Rubbish!!! I'd almost rather watch Girls Next Door...at least those girls aren't putting on some pseudo-sophisticated facade.

I'm not mch of a moviegoer anymore, but it just seems like most women-oriented movies these days are sending us the message that the women we are expected to look up to and idealize are immoral, materialistic, independent.

No thanks!! It's enough that HBO tortured us for ten seasons with Sex and the City -- must they REALLY make it into a cinematic enterprise as well?!

What are your thoughts?
    I never watched the show and I won't watch the movie either.
    My brother calls it "Sluts and the City".

Jeanne

"He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it". ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

"If we ever forget that we are ONE NATION UNDER GOD, then we will be a nation gone under" ~ Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne D View Post
    I never watched the show and I won't watch the movie either.
    My brother calls it "Sluts and the City".

Jeanne
    Hahahahaha, Jeanne.

Your brother has a point. I just hate how the writers present it as such a sophisticated, classy lifestyle....like if you're a woman to be admired, you'll be talking about your sexual escapades from the night before with the girls the next day over quiche.

Blog Entries
    I'm all about chick flicks, especially those with, say, Reese Witherspoon and other such upbeat movies about guy meets girl.

But I will tell you this:

Autumn in New York was way too chick-flicky even for me. So don't watch it unless "sappy melodrama" is absolutely your thing. Seriously.

I'm a Richard Gere fan, so I like Autumn in New York.

I loved The Notebook.

Jeanne

"He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it". ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

"If we ever forget that we are ONE NATION UNDER GOD, then we will be a nation gone under" ~ Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan in all their incarnations is about the edge of sappiness for me. Otherwise I can only stomach it if it's balanced out by comic relief or epic kick-tail action a la Lord of the Rings or Avatar or something along those lines.

Having said that, My Big Fat Greek Wedding is probably one of my all-time favorite chick flicks.

Quote Originally Posted by DaniHansen View Post
    Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan in all their incarnations is about the edge of sappiness for me. Otherwise I can only stomach it if it's balanced out by comic relief or epic kick-tail action a la Lord of the Rings or Avatar or something along those lines.

Having said that, My Big Fat Greek Wedding is probably one of my all-time favorite chick flicks.
    I loved My Big Fat Greek Wedding!

Hey! Independent isn't such a bad thing. You don't have to go out and be sexual or materialistic to be independent, you know.

Heh... in other news, I don't like 'chick' flicks, for the most part -- they seem geared towards women falling for Mr. Perfect, every time. They rarely -- if ever -- show a woman being something other than needy for a man to 'rescue' her from her dull life, or to make her feel beautiful. These things are not good for girls. They need to know they've got something between their ears that is highly useful if trained properly.

Rejoicing for mama in Heaven although she's sorely missed but being changed by Daddy while talking to Him in dreams, while he showers me with blessings afterwards
    Blog Entries
    One of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen was "City of Angels" with Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan....... very tragic end though......

Love you lots,
    Mieke
    So come on, let Me dream, let Me dream for you
    I am strong when you're weak and I'll carry you
    So let go of your plan, be caught by My hand
    I'll show you what I can do
    When I dream for you
    I have a dream for you

Casting Crowns

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Hey! Independent isn't such a bad thing. You don't have to go out and be sexual or materialistic to be independent, you know.
    Oh, ya, I know......I just mean that a couple of the women on there, just seem to have this attitude like "I'm single and I don't need a man in my life or anyone telling me what to do." I'm not saying that being single is a bad thing (I'm single, too), but I guess it was just the attitude. Seems like they think men are good for sex and that's it type of thing.

I like sappy love stories, the sappier the better. But then again, I'm a hopeless romantic.

Jeanne

Praise The LORD for you!!!!!!!!!!! I have been so so so so so sick of this hype that is going on for this movie. Why are we supposed to support women who are all about sex, fashion, and living the fast life.... Thank you for this thread.
    Why are you searching for love? Why are you still looking as if I'm not enough?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lovex View Post
    Praise The LORD for you!!!!!!!!!!! I have been so so so so so sick of this hype that is going on for this movie. Why are we supposed to support women who are all about sex, fashion, and living the fast life.... Thank you for this thread.
    Indeed!!!! As king Solomon said, it is all just vanity.

Thread Information