cure-real
Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: How many Temples will there be?

How many Temples will there be?

I understand that the body is our Temple of the Holy Spirit.

John 2:19,21
    19 “Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
    21 “But He was speaking of the temple of His body
    1 Corinthians 3:16-17
    16:”Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?”
    17:”If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.”
    1 Corinthians 6:19 “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?”
    2 Corinthians 6:16:”And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said” I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be My people.”

I understand Jesus Christ is the foundation by which we grow in a holy temple in the Lord.

Ephesians2:18-22
    18:”For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father.”
    19:”Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,”
    20:”having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone,”
    21:”in whom the whole building, being joined together, grows in a holy temple in the Lord,”
    22:”in whom you also are being built together for a habitation of God in the Spirit.”

I understand that God does not dwell in temples made with hands.

Acts 7:46-50, also Acts 17:24-25
    46:”who found favor before God and asked to find a dwelling for the God of Jacob.”
    47:”But Solomon built Him a house.”
    48:”However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says:
    49:Heaven is My throne, and earth is My footstool. What house will you build for Me? Says the Lord, or what is the place of My rest?”

Let me ask perhaps a more clear, better phrased question: Do not the following describe a physical building?

KJV 2 Thessalonians 2:3-4 "3.Let no one deceive you by any means: for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition. 4. Who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God."

Revelation 11:1-2
    1:”And there was given to me a reed like unto a rod: and the angle stood, saying rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.”
    2:”But leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not measure it, for it has been given to the Gentiles. And they will tread the holy city under foot for forty-two months.”
    Last edited by SirToady; Jun 18th 2010 at 12:16 AM.

Heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    I would say you are completely off base. Jesus Himself (His body) is the third temple.

John 2
    18Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
    19Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
    20Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
    21But he spake of the temple of his body.

And His church is also described as the temple of God now (Eph 2:19-22, 2 Cor 6:16, 1 Cor 3:16-17). I'm not aware of any scripture that prophesies the building of a third physical temple building. Now that God dwells in us there is no need for another temple.

Acts 17
    24God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; 25Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

The final Temple has come, and it has been standing for 1980 years.
    There are no more temples prophesied by Scripture.

if I understand correctly the third Temple will be erected as part of a peace agreement designed by the anti-Christ.
    The Scripture used to support this position is being misinterpreted. The prophecy in question is about the coming of the Messiah (Jesus Christ) and his crucifixion, and the subsequent destruction of the Second Temple (which took place in 70 AD).

However, I also understand that Christ himself will direct/build the Temple after the Tribulation.
    This is absolutely not Scriptural. Jesus Christ is the final Temple, because his Body is infinitely greater than any temple building ever was. Why would Jesus make a move backwards to build and preside over an inferior temple building if his Body is the infinitely superior Temple? This position is not only un-Scriptural (in that it has no support), but it is inherently anti-Scriptural (in that it places its hope in future animal sacrifices and sin offerings, in complete contradiction with the Scriptural statement that Jesus Christ's death was the final, once-for-all-time sacrificial offering for sins).
    Last edited by markedward; Jun 17th 2010 at 09:29 PM.

2 Thessalonians 2:3-4 "3.Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition. 4. Who opposith and exaltest himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped, so that he as God sittith in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God." Am I to assume then that the antichrist has already sat in the temple and this leads to its eventual destruction in abt 70 A.D.?

Revelation 11:1 And there was given to me a reed like unto a rod: and the angle stood, saying rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.

Quote Originally Posted by SirToady View Post
    Maybe I cant see the forest through the trees but... I also understand that Christ himself will direct/build the Temple a
    Nowhere does the Bible ever describe, detail, or explain Christ directing the build of, or participating in the build of another stone temple building.
    Christ only mentions destroying the temple made with hands, and building another temple not made with Hands.

God's holy Temple is now Jesus Christ and His redeemed followers; with the OT prophets and NT Apostles being the foundation; and all of the redeemed being the building blocks of the walls with Christ Himself the chief cornerstone.

Why return to the inferior shadow and type when scripture never mentions doing that, and when scripture tells us clearly in the book of Hebrews that Christ has replaced that building and it's practices forever, with the offering of His Body once for all?

2 Thessalonians 2:3-4 "3.Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition. 4. Who opposith and exaltest himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped, so that he as God sittith in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God." Am I to assume then that the antichrist has already sat in the temple and this leads to its eventual destruction in abt 70 A.D.?
    The context of these scriptures is a falling away from the faith into deception, and the final temple is one not built with hands . . .

Therefore, the one who opposes God that will dwell in this final temple not built with hands is the spirit of anti-christ that dwells in all those who reject the truth but believe a lie.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

First of all, there is no individual "the antichrist". As the term is defined by Scripture, "antichrist" is anyone and everyone who denies that Jesus is the Christ, that he is the Son of God, that he offered himself for our sins, or that he came in a physical body. Everyone from an atheist to an agnostic to a Muslim to a Jew to a Mormon to a Scientologist to a Jehovah's Witness to a Wiccan is the "antichrist".

Second, you're not taking into account the key words here... Paul calls it the temple of God. Is a temple building, which administers sin offerings in contradiction of Hebrews 9-10, a temple of God? Not in the slightest; it's an affront to him. It challenges the necessity and extent of the sacrifice of Christ. The temple of God is the Body of Christ, which is the Church. Paul is not saying that the "man of lawlessness" is going to step into a physical temple building and sit on a throne and call himself God. He's speaking in metaphor:

The "man of lawlessness" is seeking to (a) replace the one true God (b) in the hearts of the Christians.
    The "man of lawlessness" is seeking to (a) sit on the throne of God (b) in the temple of God.

Revelation 11:1 And there was given to me a reed like unto a rod: and the angle stood, saying rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.
    Again... you miss the key words "of God". A physical temple building which administers sin offerings in contradiction to Hebrews 9-10 is not a temple "of God". The temple of God being measured here is, again, the Church.

What exactly did you intend to say by quoting these verses? Do you have any thoughts at all on what has been said in this thread? Can you show me where either one of those passages speak of the future construction of a physical temple building that would be considered the temple of God? Aren't we (the church) the temple of God with Christ as the cornerstone? Of what use would God have for a physical temple building any longer? Can you show me where these indicate that they are speaking of a different temple than these are speaking about in passages like these:

Eph 2
    19Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
    20And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
    21In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
    22In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

2 Cor 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    What exactly did you intend to say by quoting these verses? Do you have any thoughts at all on what has been said in this thread? Can you show me where either one of those passages speak of the future construction of a physical temple building that would be considered the temple of God? Aren't we (the church) the temple of God with Christ as the cornerstone? Of what use would God have for a physical temple building any longer? Can you show me where these indicate that they are speaking of a different temple than these are speaking about in passages like these:

Eph 2
    19Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
    20And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
    21In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
    22In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

2 Cor 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    Im not trying to say anything, nor offend anybody. The Book of Revelations was clearly written after the destruction of the 2nd Temple, and Revelation 11:1 is part of that prophetic book and as I understand it, it refers to a physical temple with an altar. Please explain Rev 11:1 if you believe it does not refer to a physical structure.

Im not trying to say anything, nor offend anybody. The Book of Revelations was clearly written after the destruction of the 2nd Temple, and Revelation 11:1 is part of that prophetic book and as I understand it, it refers to a physical temple with an altar. Please explain Rev 11:1 if you believe it does not refer to a physical structure.
    I don't have time to do that right now, but I, and probably everyone else who has responded, would appreciate if you would address the points that we've made first.

Quote Originally Posted by SirToady
    The Book of Revelations was clearly written after the destruction of the 2nd Temple
    No, it wasn't "clearly written after" 70 AD... But that's beside the point. It still is not referring to a physical temple, regardless of when it was written.

it refers to a physical temple with an altar.
    It very likely doesn't. See my previous post, above, and John146's post (#8).

Blog Entries

I am confused. Do you think the part you underlined in the Thessalonian verse means Jesus sits in the temple? And that is how you got the idea Jesus directs the building of a temple? That is almost how it looks in that old english bible you are using.

A clearer translation and less confusing:

2 Thessalonians 2:3-4 (New King James Version)

3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

The Bible says what it says.

Not all believers are ready for all prophecy.

The Israelis have not assembled the parts of the Temple for the fun of collecting.

If the Temple is built, you will have your theory confirmed, and the rest will be wrong.

If not, then it all happened in 70 AD.

I believe the third Temple will be built.
    PROV 21:3 To do righteousness and justice Is more acceptable to Jehovah than sacrifice.-American Standard Version 1901

MT 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

As opposed to the bad man that does nothing?

AMOS 6:3 Ye that put far away the evil day, and cause the seat of violence to come near;

GAL 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Not all believers are ready for all prophecy.

The Israelis have not assembled the parts of the Temple for the fun of collecting.

If the Temple is built, you will have your theory confirmed, and the rest will be wrong.

If not, then it all happened in 70 AD.

I believe the third Temple will be built.
    Yes it does. Not all will believe what the bible says. They are the straight gate crowd. Many will endeavor to say it says something it does not say.

Christ will rule from Jerusalem for one thousand years on the earth. Rev 20:4 This in my mind necessitates a temple in Jerusalem.

Antichrist will be a man who poses as the Jewish Messiah. He will be joined with the false prophet and the beast to form the unholy trinity. Antichrist will cause the descration the temple of God in Jerusalem like Antiochus Epiphanes. The temple was polluted by sacrificing swine.

As soon as God gets rid of that islamic temple on the mount the Jews will start building the third temple. As a pretribber I will observe the construction from heaven.

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by notuptome
    Christ will rule from Jerusalem for one thousand years on the earth. Rev 20:4 This in my mind necessitates a temple in Jerusalem.
    How? What specifically about the text "necessitates a temple in Jerusalem"? A temple is not mentioned in any sense. And again, if Jesus Christ himself is the temple, why would he move backwards to the inferior temple building? What would be the point in taking a step backwards in redemptive history?

Antichrist will be a man who poses as the Jewish Messiah.
    Based on what Scripture? Do a word-search for "antichrist" in the Bible, and you will find no such connection as you claim here.

Thread Information