cure-real

Thread: NASB 1973 And Bible Versions

NASB 1973 And Bible Versions

Hey All.

Not to make this another "best version of the Bible" topic, but I have some specific questions that I would really appreciate some answers/replies on.

I'm 23, and been a Christian for a few years now. When I became one I started to read the NIV, and have enjoyed it very much ever since. I've tried to read the KJV, and I do believe it is a great Bible, but I cannot really understand it, I'd need an old-english to new-english dictionary to really understand it.

Anyway, a few months ago I looked into the various Bible versions for a bit, was blown away that there were actually so many. But in the end, with all the versions, I thought the NIV is a great version, and I'd just stick to it.

Well, recently, the last day or so. I started to look at the NASB. And see how it really is, or at least tries to be, a pure literal word-for-word translation of the Bible. And how the NIV really isn't. It really got me worked up, and sort of antsy for some reason. I started to feel like I've been reading someones interpretation of the Bible for years, instead of the actual Bible. And how a Bible probably should just be a word-for-word translation, without bias. And maybe that's why the kjv is considered so good.

Anyway, am I right for sort of feeling this way? I still think the NIV is a great Bible, and am sentimentally attached to my first Bible, that I've grown in my faith with, but I somewhat feel like I'm supposed to read a word-for-word translation like the NASB. That its closer to the real original Bible than the NIV. Closer to God's Word than the NIV.

Now, the second part of my post, I know its a long one, thanks for those who have read this far.

I went for a walk today, to think about all this, and maybe see if I could find a copy of the NASB. I don't drive, and there isn't really a real exclusive book store in my town. So I went to the Salvation Army, and another store. Didn't find a NASB.
    But on my way home, I decided to check out the library. And I couldn't quite believe it, but for sale, I saw a copy of the New American Standard Bible, for fifty-cents. I was just blown away, felt it was a gift from God in my search.

I've read a little of it, like it. Has a sort of KJV touch, with a more understandable read of the NIV.

Anyway, it's copyright date inside only goes up to 1973. And I see that the later 70's version were copyrighted in '75 and '77. So I was wondering about this one. Is it still a reliable Bible? I think so, but with all of this I would like some help from other Christians, some which may have went through these questions before.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyA View Post
    Hey All.

Not to make this another "best version of the Bible" topic, but I have some specific questions that I would really appreciate some answers/replies on.
    Don't worry, this is an important question that, once it is upon your heart, you can't just ignore it.

I'm 23, and been a Christian for a few years now. When I became one I started to read the NIV, and have enjoyed it very much ever since. I've tried to read the KJV, and I do believe it is a great Bible, but I cannot really understand it, I'd need an old-english to new-english dictionary to really understand it.

Anyway, a few months ago I looked into the various Bible versions for a bit, was blown away that there were actually so many. But in the end, with all the versions, I thought the NIV is a great version, and I'd just stick to it.

Well, recently, the last day or so. I started to look at the NASB. And see how it really is, or at least tries to be, a pure literal word-for-word translation of the Bible. And how the NIV really isn't. It really got me worked up, and sort of antsy for some reason. I started to feel like I've been reading someones interpretation of the Bible for years, instead of the actual Bible. And how a Bible probably should just be a word-for-word translation, without bias. And maybe that's why the kjv is considered so good.

Anyway, am I right for sort of feeling this way? I still think the NIV is a great Bible, and am sentimentally attached to my first Bible, that I've grown in my faith with, but I somewhat feel like I'm supposed to read a word-for-word translation like the NASB. That its closer to the real original Bible than the NIV. Closer to God's Word than the NIV.
    If you can't understand the wording of the KJV, then definitely don't use that, you need to use a Bible that you can understand. Even if it is in English, if you can't understand the wording easily you might as well have a Greek or Hebrew Bible. You say that see how it tries to be a literal word for word translation, but when some things can translate multiple ways, there is always interpretation involved; especially when you are talking about something as long as the Bible, the translators have to use some interpretation when translating, thus any Bible includes some interpretation. However, I don't think this is something you need to worry about. These are mainstream Bibles and as such, they have endured and passed the scrutiny of millions of Christians. Could men make inviable translations of the Bible? Certainly, but I don't think such a translation would make it to mainstream standards. I have a small challenge for you that may assuage your worries about the NIV and different translations in general: since you can understand the wording in both your NIV and NASB Bibles, take the two and compare random verses. I don't think you will find any in which the main underlying meaning is different, even if things are described with slightly different words.

Now, the second part of my post, I know its a long one, thanks for those who have read this far.

I went for a walk today, to think about all this, and maybe see if I could find a copy of the NASB. I don't drive, and there isn't really a real exclusive book store in my town. So I went to the Salvation Army, and another store. Didn't find a NASB.
    But on my way home, I decided to check out the library. And I couldn't quite believe it, but for sale, I saw a copy of the New American Standard Bible, for fifty-cents. I was just blown away, felt it was a gift from God in my search.

I've read a little of it, like it. Has a sort of KJV touch, with a more understandable read of the NIV.

Anyway, it's copyright date inside only goes up to 1973. And I see that the later 70's version were copyrighted in '75 and '77. So I was wondering about this one. Is it still a reliable Bible? I think so, but with all of this I would like some help from other Christians, some which may have went through these questions before.

Thanks for any help.
    I would say it is definitely still a reliable Bible because it isn't like the Bible is getting new updates every year or new books added to it. It has been the same Christian Bible for approximately 2000 years (I know this isn't exactly right, but for the sake of this discussion it works) and we haven't written new books to add to it, so I think you should be fine. The Holy Word hasn't changed in the last forty years and it won't change any in the next forty.

For the first part of your post, both the NIV and NASB should be equally good. So it is just a preference thing. If you are looking for a Bible with the most literal translation, the ESV version is supposed to be just that. Either way, study the word because it is good no matter what version you have. As for the second part of your post, the Bible was written between 1900 (NT) and 3400 (OT) years ago. The copyright date will not have any effect on the contents of that Bible.

NIV and NASB are both great translations. Don't worry about it. And NIV isn't someone's interpretation, rather it's a dynamic translations. Which basically means that they translate what the original word or phrase meant as opposed to word for word. That's why sometimes certain phrases are difficult to understand. They're not common in our culture. So the NIV goes the route of telling you what it means.

Does that make sense?

My 2cents... As someone [you] who has come to understand the wisdom of salvation's call a few years back, translations of NASB, NIV, ESV, KJV, NKJV are good places to start.. It is unimportant for you today to know which of the Greek manuscripts each one used, but to get into the word and read it... I'd shy away from the parphrase bibles, for they tend to dilute the original language more than others with the translator's thoughts.

I'd also suggest getting a detailed bible commentary and a systematic theology book to sit beside your bible, so when you have a point that you may not fully understand, the commentary or theology book can offer guidance and a test point for your consideration. Remember to examine everything, hold fast to that which is true. Scripture interprets scripture, but God uses teachers and preachers to help see some of the more intricate points within the word.

Praise God for your desire to learn more, for a true christian should desire to diligently seek for God within His word, to sell all he has to buy the field and pearl... and the anticipated joy with humility that is before you as you grow and know how precious Christ is in saving you from the path of damnation.

Blessings,

RbG
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Well, recently, the last day or so. I started to look at the NASB. And see how it really is, or at least tries to be, a pure literal word-for-word translation of the Bible. And how the NIV really isn't.
    That's certainly debatable. In my view, the NIV is a better translation of the original Greek than the NASB is (I can't comment on the Hebrew). The ESV might be perhaps be slightly better than the NIV.

Has anyone else seen this?????
    Psalm 19:14
    May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_no_one View Post
    Has anyone else seen this?????
    (Besides being a total derail)

Nope, haven't seen. Well now I have. You know what I mean. Hadn't seen it PREVIOUS to coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    (Besides being a total derail)

Nope, haven't seen. Well now I have. You know what I mean. Hadn't seen it PREVIOUS to coming here.
    Sorry about the derail. This was actually in the Bibles section of the bookstore I used to work at. Yeesh.
    Psalm 19:14
    May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Hey All.

Thanks for any help.
    The '73 is a reliable Bible.

With the NASB (don't know about other translations)
    The main thing that changed between copyright numbers.
    Was the language , formatting, and study notes being added.

For example:

The main difference between the '70s and the '95 versions was the abandonment of the KJV / old English spelling (thisit, sayith, etc.) and style of formatting.

My personal favorite is the '95 (mainly for it's readability without sacrificing content)
    but the '70 are good also.

They all have the same content the main way they are different are that they are written in the style / English that was in use at the time of there printing.
    "Love is not about you...and it never was"
    "Selfishness is inwardly focused, but Love is Always outwardly focused!"

I am very anti-abortion, anti-murder, and Pro-Love.
    Gotta stop repeating myself...

Stop Marfan - The Silent but deadly killer.
    It's main weapon is lack of truth.
    Please learn the truth about the Marfan syndrome
    by visiting The National Marfan Foundation.
    Feel free to ask me any questions you may have
    about the Marfan syndrome and I will answer them
    the best I can.

The history of the NASB can be found here:
    http://www.lockman.org/nasb/

The history of the NIV can be found here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_International_Version

The reasoning of translation varies between the two but birthed from one source.
    If Satan can keep us busy swinging our swords at one another, there is no hope of a united attack on the kingdom of darkness. KJV, NIV, ESV or ABCDEFG; there is no time to bicker over such things. We'll devour each other if allowed to continue. We should grab the marching orders written in the way we best understand and get to work.

Andrew_no_one

Thanks alot for the replies. Really helped, settled me down.
    I think I will just stick with my NIV Bible then, I'm used to the way its worded, and used the the specific font and size/style of my Bible. (More natural reading it after all this time for me.)

But I do still wonder about all these versions, should you really just stick with one version? I've always thought that would be best, so you don't start picking and choosing which verses you like best from each and sort of create your own version of the Bible, but I could be wrong their, which is why I'm asking.

And what about Parallel Bibles? Any good use there, to have a NASB/NIV, or NIV/NASB/NLT/KJV Parallel Bible?

Thanks.

Do what i do. Purchase a new one every now and again and keep them all out for comparison during study.

Another idea is to use the free program Esword. You have highlight a verse or passages and switch on the fly to compare things like the ESV, MKJV, Etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Job 34:19
    God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickened View Post
    Do what i do. Purchase a new one every now and again and keep them all out for comparison during study.

Another idea is to use the free program Esword. You have highlight a verse or passages and switch on the fly to compare things like the ESV, MKJV, Etc.
    Esword is a great free program , another free program that is very good (IMHO on level or better then Esword) is theWord.

One thing of note: While they are both great programs theWord is smaller than Esword, portable (I'm running a full copy off a USB stick as I type this), and it is MUCH easer making modules and converting modules between major versions.
    "Love is not about you...and it never was"
    "Selfishness is inwardly focused, but Love is Always outwardly focused!"

I am very anti-abortion, anti-murder, and Pro-Love.
    Gotta stop repeating myself...

Stop Marfan - The Silent but deadly killer.
    It's main weapon is lack of truth.
    Please learn the truth about the Marfan syndrome
    by visiting The National Marfan Foundation.
    Feel free to ask me any questions you may have
    about the Marfan syndrome and I will answer them
    the best I can.

Thread Information