cure-real

Thread: Preparing a devotional.

Exclamation Preparing a devotional.

I was recently tasked with putting together a devotional for our missions meetings. I've never put one together so I need some help here.

Is there a certain template/layout that is used? Like some sort of format? Or do people just use their own methods?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    Is there a certain template/layout that is used? Like some sort of format? Or do people just use their own methods?

Thank you.
    Begin with scripture, not a formalized opinion. Do try and match your devotion with the theme of the meeting (obviously missions) but let the text speak. Afterall, "The word of God is living and active" (Heb. 4:12), and "All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching..." (2 Tim 3:16).
    "To live is Christ..." - Philippians 1:21

So the theme should tie into the scripture? Do I pick a theme first or a scripture first? Sorry this will be my first time.

So the theme should tie into the scripture? Do I pick a theme first or a scripture first? Sorry this will be my first time.
    Scripture first... For if theme first, you might risk finding and miss using scriptures to 'fit' your theme. For example... Matthew 18:20 is often misquoted for reason to hold a prayer meeting...

"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."

Which was written towards church discipline, not so much for a prayer gathering.... Now we know that when we gather for prayer, that God's Spirit who lives in each of us, and is everywhere - is indeed present, but this scriptural reference is not one that states that and thus is miss appropriated.

2cents
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
    Scripture first... For if theme first, you might risk finding and miss using scriptures to 'fit' your theme. For example... Matthew 18:20 is often misquoted for reason to hold a prayer meeting...

"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."

Which was written towards church discipline, not so much for a prayer gathering.... Now we know that when we gather for prayer, that God's Spirit who lives in each of us, and is everywhere - is indeed present, but this scriptural reference is not one that states that and thus is miss appropriated.

2cents
    Thank you for your 2cents. By the end of the day I should have enough for coffee.

Thank you for your 2cents. By the end of the day I should have enough for coffee.
    Knowing the group here, $5 premium blend at that!
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

I was recently tasked with putting together a devotional for our missions meetings. I've never put one together so I need some help here.

Thank you.
    Seeking,

In general, pray, then spend some time reading the Bible devotionally. Ask the Lord to speak to you. Then I would suggest selecting one passage that the Lord has used to speak to you. You want the Lord to take His Word and impact people's lives.

Then just using pencil/pen start writing down thoughts. Ask yourself questions that naturally arise. Eventually, something will pop out at you that the Spirit is bringing to your attention. Remember, that the Spirit is in charge here, and He wants to use you!

So forget those devotional books, commentaries, etc.. Just you and the Lord. Find some privacy. Turn off the TV. Spend time with Him.

Now, regarding format... I would suggest coming up with a few questions that stimulate people and cause them to take the text practically and personally. Perhaps early on you could share a personal testimony, if that fits. That keeps you from coming across as preaching, but as simply sharing as God has burdened you.

Don't forget to read the text carefully, in context. You might want to consider something from Acts, which gives several missionary stories. But this has to be your idea. That's what God wants to do, and that's what will cause it to be very successful.

Oh, the tendency is to go too long. So remember that you don't want to start to break down all the good stuff that God did early on by dragging things on. (Been there, done that.) After your meeting, would you share with us what you did and how it went?

Take care, and I'll be praying. I love this kind of stuff! I hope you do too.

BD
    3 John 4 - "No greater joy can I have than this, to hear that my [spiritual] children walk in the truth.

BadDog!

BadDog gave some good advice that I would just like to add to. It can be hard picking a theme without trying to find scripture to fit your opinion. Since your devotion will be regarding missions, Acts would be a great book to begin with, but not limited to. As you begin reading through the scripture, ask yourself questions such as: What am I promoting? What do the people need to know? How can scripture tie the theme into daily living?

When you find your text, dwell on it first. Ask yourself, "What is going on here? What does it mean? What is the significance of it to my life/others lives?" When you begin to seek the answers to those questions, you can ask the questions "who, what, when, where, how, why?" to help answer the original questions I stated above. Once you find how to relate the scripture to the lives of the people now, you will be able to put together a devotional that fits the agenda. Let the text speak for itself.
    "To live is Christ..." - Philippians 1:21

Thank you so much for your continued input everyone. This is really helpful to me.

Thread Information