cure-real
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738

Thread: Overcoming Sin

Re: Overcoming Sin

Quote Originally Posted by Sirus View Post
    Where does it go on to command what not to do in Galatians? It doesn't, so no I do not agree. All you will find is 'what to do' -love your brother, not 'what not to do' -lists of not's. Like in Romans 13 and James 2 there. They plainly says the 'shalt not's' are summed up in -'what to do'- love. As I said above, if you want to do something love God and brother you will not sin.
    So the following is separate from the law of Christ then?

Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
    Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Do you not agree that it commands us what we must not do?

Firstfruits

Again, no I don't.
    Again, Romans 13 plainly says the 'shalt not's' are summed up in -'what to do'- love. If you want to do something love God and brother you will not sin.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter View Post
    or a follower of Swaggart's teaching but then this is the Internet... New stuff comes up all over the place now days so you might be something totally different. Time will tell.

can you elaborate on Swaggart? I never could put my finger on it but something doesn't seem right when I listen to him.

Blog Entries

Tell you what... give me a day or so and I'll do that in another thread. This one has pretty much gone the way of dead threads.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Paul tells us to 'reckon ourselves as dead to sin and alive to God through Jesus Christ our Lord' (Romans 6.11). Thus if we wish to overcome sin in our lives we must commence each day (and renew it throughout the day) by reminding ourselves that we are in union with Christ and must recognise therefore that we have died with Him. We are dead therefore, and must reckon on the fact. The question is are we willing to accept that we have died? That means yielding up eveerything to God. Then we must remind ourselves that we are alive to God through the resurrection of Christ and His presence within us. We must therefore allow Him to live out through us His resurrection life. As we keep open our lives for Him to live through us we will experience His resurrection power in all we do.

Part of being alive to God is to set our minds on things above. We must build up knowledge from Scripture which will allow us to do this more and more. If our minds are on God and Jesus Christ and Heaven we will not countenance sin.

But we must recognise that there are different kinds of sin. So fleshly sins must be fought by fleeing from them The answer is, 'run'. As Paul told Timothy, 'flee from youthful desires'. If we hang around them w need not doubt that we will succumb

Sins of the mind must be fought by setting our minds on Christ and on the Scriptures. If the mind is in us that was in Christ Jesus, the way of the cross, we will die with Him and let Him live through us.

But when it is the Devil who attacks us we fight him by submitting to God and resiting the Devil so that Satan will flee from us (James 4.7).

Let us not deceive ourselves by thinking that we will ever be sinless. Those who claim such things have a low view of sin. To come short of the glory of God is sin. I have never met anyone who never came short of the glory of God. To live up to the glory of God is not something known to man or of which man is capable. We will only experience it 'in Heaven' (or the new Earth). What we can do is find victory over known sin in the way described above.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter View Post
    Tell you what... give me a day or so and I'll do that in another thread. This one has pretty much gone the way of dead threads.
    Thank you. I will be looking forward to that.

This thread is great. I hope it's never deleted. I need to take time and cut and paste from it. I know there are some who are disappointed but this thread is answering many of the same questions I've had for a few years. I just stumbled across this thread recently and have been reading it page by page. God bless each of you who contributed and it's a blessing to see everyone (so far that I've read) treating one another in a respectful tone. May God bless all of you.

I came to Jesus because I was sick of the sinful life I was living. I could not break free of the sinful habits and I could not quit them for very long. I was in bondage. Jesus set me free when I came to him in repentance, with godly sorrow and confessed my sins to Him. I asked His forgiveness then I beleived with all the faith I had at that time that He would do what He promised in His Word.

I was then born again..my soul was quickened... made alive again..I was changed..the miracle of salvation by God's mercy and grace.

Paul said in 2 Cor 5:17 Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. My desire to please Jesus was stronger than the temptations to sin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VerticalReality View Post
    And again you seem to be falling back into the same defeating doctrine of overcoming sin by not sinning.

The one in bondage: "How do I overcome this sin?"

You: "Stop sinning."

Do you not see, Firstfruits, that you are not helping the one in bondage but only telling them they shouldn't be? A person cannot stop being in bondage until they are free from bondage.

Greetings everyone; You overcome by the Blood of the Lamb; and the WORDS of your testimoney;

Renewing your mind to the Word of God; In The Name of Jesus, Parsonsmom

Thread Information