cure-real
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I speak in tongues?

Re: Why can't I speak in tongues?

This subject always produces a 'spirited' debate but does it produce any spiritual prosperity?

What of Joel 2:28-32? What of Joel 2:23? Did Peter teach at Pentacost that the tongues were the former rain? Surely none contend that all of Joel 2:30-31 was fulfilled at Pentacost? Do we look forward to a latter rain? When Christ returns at the close of the tribulation?

Is it possible to reconcile the experiences of many with the scriptural understanding of many others? Do our experiences determine our scriptural positions or do we rely upon scripture to guide our expectations? What do we make of Pauls warning of our adversary appearing as an angel of light to deceive us? 2 Cor 11:13-15 Surely our adversary cannot rob us of our salvation but he can hinder our growth and our walk with the Lord. Or do we take this warning as applying only to the unsaved?

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

In the slave pits of manmade Christianity, setting the captives free.

We all say that Scripture governs our experience, but what we mean by that is that Scripture (as governed by our experience) governs our experience.

It is very difficult to separate experience from the Word. We all tend to interpret in light of that with which we are most familiar and most comfortable.

Possible the best exposition on the issue of tongues from 1 Corinthians is authored by Gordon Fee, who himself is pentecostal, but who does a remarkably unbiased and nuanced exposition of the texts in question.

Gordon D. Fee, The First Epistle to the Corinthians, ed. Gordon D. Fee, The New
    International Commentary on the New Testament (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing
    Company, 1987)

Quote Originally Posted by Frecs View Post
    We do indeed have the Bible and praise God for that. Does that mean that the Bible is the only means of God communicating with His people today?
    Gods revelation is in fact complete. Rev 22:18 There is no new revelation from God. Heb 1:1-2 Christ said that the Holy Spirit would guide us into His truth through the word of God. John 16:13 2 Tim 3:15-17

For the cause of Christ
    Roger

We do indeed have the Bible and praise God for that. Does that mean that the Bible is the only means of God communicating with His people today?
    I believe so. Yes

all the best...

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
    Kay-gee... if a pastor requests for his entire flock to seek the Lord in who He (God) wants to, let's say for an example... fill the position of the Youth Leaders for their church because the present ones are being moved to a new church. Then after some time no one has stepped up and the praying by the entire church continues until a day that the Lord speaks through a prophet about who the Youth Leaders are to be... you feel that the Bible is gonna point out who they are to be or that the church will not be edified that God has selected who He wants to be the teachers for the children for their church and gave the church His will through a message via a prophet?
    To use your example. If no one stepped forward for the job, I would accept that as a sign that there was not going to be a youth guy. Do you think we are puppets on a string?

all the best...

In a place of praying hard and trusting God while battling on my knees!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

To use your example. If no one stepped forward for the job, I would accept that as a sign that there was not going to be a youth guy. Do you think we are puppets on a string?

all the best...
    If God has a person(s) in mind and it's His will for them to be the Youth Leader(s), you would consider this person(s) a puppet and not simply being obedient to God's will for them? Once God's will was made clear to them when people at church speak in tongues and others translate the message from God?

How would God speak His will to a person to be a Youth Leader by scripture alone?

Honestly, I can understand why a person would never hear God's will for them to be a Youth Leader if all they look for is scripture to relay such an answer. There isn't any scripture that would say... for example, 'Kay-gee is the one I want to lead the children of this church.'

~Limitations in a Christianís life are due to limited prayer and limiting obedience~

~Forgiveness has nothing to do with forgetting that moment... it's all about freedom FROM that moment.~

~Your needs activate God's compassion and faith activates God's power~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frecs
    I believe so. Yes

all the best...
    Then why do we pray? Prayer isn't a one way thing ...where we talk and He just listens.
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

As RabbiKnife illustrated, the Word teaches that tongues is often a gift of hearing.

One distinction might help. There are language tongues and the Corinthian ecstatic utterance tongues. Language tongues need no interpretation, since they ARE the interpretation by process. Ecstatic utterance tongues are the subject of correction in 1 Cor. 14, which is addressing confusion vs. order.

Tongues are valid and haven't yet ceased (the written scripture is not the coming of "that which is perfect").
    There are two types of tongues (language and ecstatic utterance).
    Tongues are misused and abused in the church and require order in their practice.
    Tongues are not a "test of fellowship" or of salvation (or "having" the Holy Ghost).

Where is the decent order of mass ecstatic utterance instructed by the Apostle Paul?
    Where are the interpretations, especially by those with the utterance?
    Where is the prophesying and the speaking with understanding?

Seek the greater gifts, beginning with Love. THE GIVER is more important than the gifts. The Blesser more than the blessings. Seek His face, not His hand.

Good Grief! Dancing churches. I am saddened that the Southern Baptists have given over to this type of thing.

We are to worship God in spirit and IN TRUTH. If I don't have scripture authority for something then where is the truth in it? I have scripture authority to commune, to sing, to pray, to preach, to collect offering, to read scripture. All these I can point to commands or examples in NT. Dancing clapping and other noise-making activities I find none.

Church is not about tittilation and entertainment. We live in a culture basted in tittilation and entertainment. Church is a refuge from that. It is a time for reflection and edification. What ever happened to.."Be STILL and know that I am God?"

all the best...

Blog Entries

Good Grief! Dancing churches. I am saddened that the Southern Baptists have given over to this type of thing.

We are to worship God in spirit and IN TRUTH. If I don't have scripture authority for something then where is the truth in it? I have scripture authority to commune, to sing, to pray, to preach, to collect offering, to read scripture. All these I can point to commands or examples in NT. Dancing clapping and other noise-making activities I find none.

Church is not about tittilation and entertainment. We live in a culture basted in tittilation and entertainment. Church is a refuge from that. It is a time for reflection and edification. What ever happened to.."Be STILL and know that I am God?"

all the best...
    er...I did post scripture...did you not see those?
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

Oh, there is definitely a need for "be still and know"...and sometimes that is forgotten in the urge to fit everything in and get done so we can bet the church down the road to the buffet line.

Do you use musical instruments in church? Can you give me NT example of that please?

Blog Entries
    Psalm 149
    Praise to God for His Salvation and Judgment
    1 Praise the LORD!

Sing to the LORD a new song,
    And His praise in the assembly of saints.

2 Let Israel rejoice in their Maker;
    Let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.
    3 Let them praise His name with the dance;
    Let them sing praises to Him with the timbrel and harp.

4 For the LORD takes pleasure in His people;
    He will beautify the humble with salvation.

We have our be still and know the Lord quiet time in church too...for sure. Why can't we do it all? We can..just like scriptures says.

Our church has grown by leaps and bounds too...many have been saved. Its not he music saving them..its the Word being preached. Amen!

[QUOTE=Frecs;2458981]Oh, there is definitely a need for "be still and know"...and sometimes that is forgotten in the urge to fit everything in and get done so we can bet the church down the road to the buffet line.

Do you use musical instruments in church? Can you give me NT example of that please?
    Umm...Who are you asking?

all the best...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    Is it possible to reconcile the experiences of many with the scriptural understanding of many others? Do our experiences determine our scriptural positions or do we rely upon scripture to guide our expectations? What do we make of Pauls warning of our adversary appearing as an angel of light to deceive us? 2 Cor 11:13-15 Surely our adversary cannot rob us of our salvation but he can hinder our growth and our walk with the Lord. Or do we take this warning as applying only to the unsaved?
    Yep... this is why the Bible says not to believe every spirit but to test the spirits. Our adversary will bring us down at any opportunity but one thing he will not do is bring glory to God.
    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Blog Entries

I believe so. Yes

all the best...
    A friend of mine believes God is calling him into full-time ministry. Obviously he doesn't want to quit his secular job if ministry isn't God's will.

Which verses in the Bible should he read to determine whether God is calling him as an individual into ministry or not?
    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Thread Information