cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I never wanted to tell anyone this...

I never wanted to tell anyone this...

I feel lots of anxiety whenever I so much a see a link to a website that is hostile to Christianity. I feel obligated to visit anti-Christian sites to see all the arguments, but I'm just scared to do it. Also, in comment boards when someone says something about Christianity that I know is not true, I can't bring myself to reply. I'm usually anxious that there is a counter-argument of which I am unaware and unable to refute, or that my argument is just plain wrong and laughable and everyone will laugh at me. And as you all know, I am a gullible person who can get tricked easily into believing bad arguments. I have improved on that somewhat, but since I don't do well on anti-Christian sites, as I've said before, I don't know the counter-arguments well.

A few cases...

I decided one night to dare to click on the link to infidels.org. I lasted for only about a minute or two. I looked over the homepage and read the little statement on the front about their worldview, which wasn't even worded in a hostile way. Then I clicked on the "What's New?" page and looked over their new articles. I saw something called "More than an atheist" which, judging by the little preview thing underneath, was all about how important atheists are to the world. Another thing was an article that, if I recall correctly, was about the empty tomb and about an alternate explanation of the resurrection. And that's when I closed the window. I can usually see flaws in other people's theories about what "REALLY" happened at the resurrection, but this is a site by scholars. There are people like Richard Carrier and Robert Price on there, who are SCHOLARS.

It's not just anxiety that gets to me, but also anger. There's this one (kind of bad) Muslim apologist (let's call him Y) who used to post comments in a blog that I like reading (but now he's banned; I don't remember why). Y has a blog of his own, which is an Islamic apologetics site. I decided to visit it one day. The content just made me mad. I skimmed through a not-so-good rebuttal to a video posted on the other blog, and the comments on that post ("Christians are so desperate to use that old argument" etc.). I just hated it that all the Muslims were so blind to the bad argumentation. Then there was another post about an argument going on between Y and a Christian apologist (who made the video) who I'll call D. In the comments section, it was said that D had anger issues and those anger issues stemmed from his fatness. Y agreed (and why was supposed to be D's friend!). Then I just left. I don't know if it was apologist bashing or bad apologetics or what, but I get angry and frustrated and sad far too easily to even think clearly on Muslim websites. (And ironically, Y is on my friends list on YouTube.) There are a few other Muslim websites I've been on, which have made me mad or uncomfortable and I didn't stay long. (Except I was actually on Harun Yahya's site for several minutes and I had very little anger and anxiety for some reason. I had even started a rebuttal to one of his articles, but I later noticed that someone had already written one.)

I have more experiences to share, but I think I've written way too much already.

So I don't know if I'm just a coward who can't stand to have her faith challenged or just an emotional mess. Perhaps in the second case the extra emotion was because I'm sort of attached to D or something...Not sure.

The apologetics world seems overly intimidating and scarey.

So the point of me making this thread is to ask these questions: Has anyone else ever been scared of being refuted? Anyone have any advice for me?

I had planned to keep this whole anxiety thing a secret, but I think getting advice would be better. It's people like me who give Christians the bad name of "anti-intellectual."

I would love to be an apologist one day (and Peter also says that Christians should argue for the faith; 1 Peter 3:15), but because I'm overly emotional or scared or whatever, it just might not work out. Help would be great. Thanks =)
    "God created mankind and men created the gods. This is how it is in the worldó
    the men create gods and they worship their creations. It would have been more
    appropriate for the gods to worship mankind!"
    --Gospel of Philip 92 (Author Unknown)

Blog Entries

Re: I never wanted to tell anyone this...

Has anyone else ever been scared of being refuted? Anyone have any advice for me?
    Me. I always worry about that and I get heated when I can prove my point back because I don't feel like I posses all the skills to do it. I have no advice

Sometimes I get scared about being refuted but not often. I usually just throw my argument out there and if people want to try to refute it, they can. I will then reply as best I can to their refutation.

Thats the thing about the internet.... its most likely got the answers to tougher questions that you may face. The more time you spend in the word the better equipped you will be when a discussion comes up. You will be more familiar with the text so when someone has an objection you may be ready to turn to scripture.

In my time most of the "objections" are based on a persons lack of understanding of scripture.

In my personal opinion you should spend time learning and growing in the word before fully engaging. What soldier goes into battle without proper training and equipment? When you see something that you struggle with bring it to other Christians. Either here on the board or at your church. I am sure your pastor would be more than glad to help you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Job 34:19
    God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Blog Entries

I remember once a police officer who's specialty was detecting counterfeit money was asked why he was so successful in detecting it. They asked him if he spent a lot of time handling counterfeit money and he said no. He only deals with real money all the time. That way when he comes across the counterfeit, he spots it immediately.

I agree with Quikened. Let Him mature you first, be equipped for battle by Him first.
    "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
    -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

There are lots of ways to argue for Christianity, but I do not recommend going to non Christian sites purposely to do so. I believe going to the enemy's sites is likely to do more harm to you than help anyone else. If I were alone, and I had to stand up to the devil, I like to think I would. The thing is, if I'm able, I'll have other Christians with me before I went into battle with the enemy. At altar services, for instance, if there is someone seeking deliverance, all the believers who are willing to believe in deliverance for this person will gather around to pray for them. Like the example Seeking gave about the man who only dealt with real money so that he could spot the counterfeit, learn all you can about the Bible and God. Serve God with all your heart, and you'll know the enemy when he is present.

Blog Entries

People can refute my arguments all day long.

What they cannot refute, is my relationship with the Lord. Because that would force them to venture into territory they are completely ignorant about based on complete lack of personal experience.

Keep it in perspective, okay? You still have Jesus, and they do not. And they need that same Jesus just like you and I do, regardless of what they say and how they think. Because they are blind and lost, no matter how smart and knowledgeable they are.

God's love in action is the end of any argument. Give them something they cannot refute.

While I don't actively seek out sites like that, I often welcome any challenge to my faith. If we aren't challenged, we can't grow in knowledge and then we become complacent. Let those types of things fuel you in defining who you are as a Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKING- View Post
    I remember once a police officer who's specialty was detecting counterfeit money was asked why he was so successful in detecting it. They asked him if he spent a lot of time handling counterfeit money and he said no. He only deals with real money all the time. That way when he comes across the counterfeit, he spots it immediately.
    Actually, that comes from Secret Service training. You become so familiar with the genuine, you immediately spot a counterfeit.

Quote Originally Posted by GreekAsianPanda View Post
    I feel lots of anxiety whenever I so much a see a link to a website that is hostile to Christianity. I feel obligated to visit anti-Christian sites to see all the arguments, but I'm just scared to do it. Also, in comment boards when someone says something about Christianity that I know is not true, I can't bring myself to reply. I'm usually anxious that there is a counter-argument of which I am unaware and unable to refute, or that my argument is just plain wrong and laughable and everyone will laugh at me. And as you all know, I am a gullible person who can get tricked easily into believing bad arguments. I have improved on that somewhat, but since I don't do well on anti-Christian sites, as I've said before, I don't know the counter-arguments well.

A few cases...

I decided one night to dare to click on the link to infidels.org. I lasted for only about a minute or two. I looked over the homepage and read the little statement on the front about their worldview, which wasn't even worded in a hostile way. Then I clicked on the "What's New?" page and looked over their new articles. I saw something called "More than an atheist" which, judging by the little preview thing underneath, was all about how important atheists are to the world. Another thing was an article that, if I recall correctly, was about the empty tomb and about an alternate explanation of the resurrection. And that's when I closed the window. I can usually see flaws in other people's theories about what "REALLY" happened at the resurrection, but this is a site by scholars. There are people like Richard Carrier and Robert Price on there, who are SCHOLARS.

It's not just anxiety that gets to me, but also anger. There's this one (kind of bad) Muslim apologist (let's call him Y) who used to post comments in a blog that I like reading (but now he's banned; I don't remember why). Y has a blog of his own, which is an Islamic apologetics site. I decided to visit it one day. The content just made me mad. I skimmed through a not-so-good rebuttal to a video posted on the other blog, and the comments on that post ("Christians are so desperate to use that old argument" etc.). I just hated it that all the Muslims were so blind to the bad argumentation. Then there was another post about an argument going on between Y and a Christian apologist (who made the video) who I'll call D. In the comments section, it was said that D had anger issues and those anger issues stemmed from his fatness. Y agreed (and why was supposed to be D's friend!). Then I just left. I don't know if it was apologist bashing or bad apologetics or what, but I get angry and frustrated and sad far too easily to even think clearly on Muslim websites. (And ironically, Y is on my friends list on YouTube.) There are a few other Muslim websites I've been on, which have made me mad or uncomfortable and I didn't stay long. (Except I was actually on Harun Yahya's site for several minutes and I had very little anger and anxiety for some reason. I had even started a rebuttal to one of his articles, but I later noticed that someone had already written one.)

I have more experiences to share, but I think I've written way too much already.

So I don't know if I'm just a coward who can't stand to have her faith challenged or just an emotional mess. Perhaps in the second case the extra emotion was because I'm sort of attached to D or something...Not sure.

The apologetics world seems overly intimidating and scarey.

So the point of me making this thread is to ask these questions: Has anyone else ever been scared of being refuted? Anyone have any advice for me?

I had planned to keep this whole anxiety thing a secret, but I think getting advice would be better. It's people like me who give Christians the bad name of "anti-intellectual."

I would love to be an apologist one day (and Peter also says that Christians should argue for the faith; 1 Peter 3:15), but because I'm overly emotional or scared or whatever, it just might not work out. Help would be great. Thanks =)
    1 Corinthians 3:19 (King James Version)

19For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

1 Corinthians 1:20 (King James Version)

20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

I do not care if people laugh at me or think I am ignorant and backward.

Biblical knowledge is good for refuting arguments (even against the ones in your own mind) and for helping you boost your relationship with god. Maybe thats why it's called a double-edged sword ("For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword (Heb 4:12 ESV)"). It is a great equipment for your lifelong race ("All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work (2 Tim 3:16-17 ESV)").

Here is why you get anxious/angry...

When they discovered the world wasn't flat, most people didn't believe it, called it heresy, were very angry about the discovery. When something you consider to be a basic element of life (Like the shape of your world, or who created it) is threatened like that the automatic response is anxiety, fear, and anger.

Just explore. Don't just go to Atheist websites, those are VERY biased, don't stick to the strict teachings of Christianity either. Explore all the knowledge in the world, from many different perspectives.

"I was bold in the pursuit of knowledge, never fearing to follow truth and reason to whatever results they led, and bearding every authority which stood in their way." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GreekAsianPanda View Post
    The power of testimony is awesome. Also, the gospel is powerful in and of itself without apologetics.

Rom 1:16

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
    NASU

What I hear you saying is that you are worried you can't provide an argument not that you are ashamed of the gospel. If you listen to the Lord, say what He tells you to say, you'll find that He leads you to people you can speak with. Not everyone will respond. Keep in mind that Noah was a great witness for the Lord but only 8 souls were saved.

If that's your hearts desire, then start studying for it. John spent his whole life in the desert being prepared for a 6 month ministry. Paul was in the arabian desert for something like 12/13 years before his ministry started. Moses spent 40 years in the desert being prepared for his ministry. IOW, don't feel obligated now to move out in a ministry. You can spend time preparing.

Moses was called long before he went to the desert. A wise man knows not only his calling, but the timing of it as well.

Grace and peace to you.

Mark
    Matt 9:13
    13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
    NASU

Stand on God's firm foundation of the word, and you will not fear a thing. "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell (Matt 10:28 ESV)."

Hear Jesus: "Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built (Luke 6:47-48 ESV)."

Thread Information