cure-real
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I never wanted to tell anyone this...

Re: I never wanted to tell anyone this...

Quote Originally Posted by newinchrist4now View Post
    Me. I always worry about that and I get heated when I can prove my point back because I don't feel like I posses all the skills to do it. I have no advice
    I am frightened of being refuted too. But I try and live my life in a way that people see my joy in living in Jesus' word and in the way I treat people and help others. I believe my behavior shows more about Christianity than an argument/discussion ever could.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ImABeliever View Post
    I am frightened of being refuted too. But I try and live my life in a way that people see my joy in living in Jesus' word and in the way I treat people and help others. I believe my behavior shows more about Christianity than an argument/discussion ever could.
    I agree. You know, to some people we may be the ONLY Bible they will ever read! Who we are is more important than what we know.
    My favorite scripture: Malachi 3:16

"Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name!" (Every time we speak of the Lord, or even THINK of him--its written down in a book of remembrance!)

Firstly you may be under a few pre-conceptions about your responsibility as an apologist.

We are not called on to be able to answer all challenges thrown at us from people. We should not be afraid to say " I don't know" Or "I need to investigate your point some more". Sometimes when the question has no merit it is better to ignore it.

A lot of Christians resist sharing because they believe that if they engage with a seeker they become responsible for that persons eternal salvation. And if they fail to convince that person then they have the others eternal blood on their hands. This is not the case. The true mover of a seeker is the Holy Spirit. We are just bit players in the process.

The best policy is to answer when you feel moved to answer.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adstars View Post
    Firstly you may be under a few pre-conceptions about your responsibility as an apologist.

We are not called on to be able to answer all challenges thrown at us from people. We should not be afraid to say " I don't know" Or "I need to investigate your point some more". Sometimes when the question has no merit it is better to ignore it.

A lot of Christians resist sharing because they believe that if they engage with a seeker they become responsible for that persons eternal salvation. And if they fail to convince that person then they have the others eternal blood on their hands. This is not the case. The true mover of a seeker is the Holy Spirit. We are just bit players in the process.

The best policy is to answer when you feel moved to answer.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days
    God never says, that I'm aware of, that we are to make people saved. He says we are to tell them the Gospel, live according to the Gospel we preach.

The Holy Spirit convicts of sin (John 16:8), and the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation(Romans 1:16)

We are commanded to study the word, to be able to "rightly divide the word",(1 Tim 2:15)

And we are to be able to give reason for the hope that you have(1 Pet 3:15)

Stay in the word.... reading, praying. And let the Lord lead you on. Be concerned about what you are responsible for in regards to decisions, and that would be your obedience to study God's word, and live according to His will, striving to walk in the Spirit, your relationship with Him. You cannot 'make' someone believe. You can be God's mouthpiece to present God's mercy and grace, but even God Himself will not force someone to accept. The more you are obedient, walking in the Spirit and in relationship with Christ, the more you understand of do this, don't do that. But the thing is, the Gospel is the message, and it is the power of God. Remember, even if you had a brilliant argument, it is all about Christ, not you, and that brilliant argument would be an ability the Lord gave you, so it is always to be all about Him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani H View Post
    People can refute my arguments all day long.

What they cannot refute, is my relationship with the Lord. Because that would force them to venture into territory they are completely ignorant about based on complete lack of personal experience.

Keep it in perspective, okay? You still have Jesus, and they do not. And they need that same Jesus just like you and I do, regardless of what they say and how they think. Because they are blind and lost, no matter how smart and knowledgeable they are.

God's love in action is the end of any argument. Give them something they cannot refute.
    Hope im not trespassing any boundaries, posting over here in the "young adults" board, but as someone who until recently one to refute someones faith in the Lord, that comment was very powerful to me.

Blog Entries

I can see someone asking me:

What if it was the situation forced upon you at certain times in your life that was the cause of what you were doing at that time?

I'll be the first to say that many of the bad situations I was in years ago were a HUGE influence upon the bad things I was doing at those times. THAT DOESN'T MEAN I NECESSARILY WOULDN'T HAVE DONE MANY OF THOSE THINGS ANYWAY.

No matter how you look at it, when you already have a sin nature in the first place, being in a bad environment can't possibly do anything to help you.

Thread Information