cure-real

View Poll Results: Do You Trust Your Pastor?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I trust him implicitly

18 56.25%
  • Yes and No - I trust him in some areas but not in others

8 25.00%
  • No, I don't trust Him

0 0%
  • No, I don't trust Him, but I wouldn't trust any pastor for that matter

6 18.75%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Trusting Your Pastor

Blog Entries

Re: Trusting Your Pastor

Quote Originally Posted by TexUs View Post
    How's that admit to anything?
    A leader is someone people "trust" to follow.
    A ruler is someone with authority over something.
    And, no one is saying that a Pastor's authority is to rule over...it's to lead. Thank you for helping prove my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Frecs View Post
    And, no one is saying that a Pastor's authority is to rule over...it's to lead. Thank you for helping prove my point.
    I'd agree, however the original statements were speaking of authority and rule, not leading:

Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    Christians are to submit to civilian government why would we not submit to Christian government in the church?
    Quote Originally Posted by notuptome View Post
    but church leadership rules to promote order and growth in the church.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TexUs View Post
    The basis of your trust is not applicable to a thread of trusting a pastor?

I think Reynolds is right... All you want is a bunch of yes-men in here that say they trust their pastor.
    I'm sorry you think that. I have no interest in yea-saying - I want to spark a conversation on trusting your pastor. That is all.
    Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

I have been under horrible leadership for over 15 years in a Pentecostal denomination. The leadership was totally autocratic, self-serving and disobedient to Scripture. In addition they were abusive, totally degraded your dignity if you disagreed with them in anyway and would publicly slander you from behind the pulpit. If you read the account of Diotrephes in 3 John, you'd get the idea of the kind of leadership I lived and served under. It's not much better than a cult.

But I submitted to their leadership. Not because I liked them, but because I believed that was the right thing to do in God's eyes. Knowing now what I know would I still do the same? I would leave, but I would in no way rebel openly for the sake of my testimony and for the Lord's sake. Now I know that a Christian is to put on humility and to have a servantlike attitude that is separate from the world. I think those years in that church served a purpose in my life: God broke me and my pride, and taught me how to humble myself under authority. I was proud and arrogant and insubmissive to authority, but surprisingly that horrible experience changed that part of me.

So now I am totally grateful for the pastor I have. He is a fellow brother in Christ, and a good under-shepherd who preaches the word of God faithfully without compromise. In a country where churches are going all out and doing everything they can to gun for big numbers and thus prestige for the pastors and more money in church coffers, my pastor's mantra is faithfulness to the word of God. He gets into the plough and pulls with us, is gentle with us when we hold to erroneous doctrine and corrects with much love and gentleness. He also encourages us to question and to study and think through Scripture and not just blindly accept what we're told. He's a wise, secure and faithful leader, and an example to the flock. I could ask for no better pastor I think.

If I can submit to horrendous (and I think unsaved) leaders, I have absolutely no problems submitting to my current pastor. Do I trust him? Yes, absolutely. Do I trust him blindly? No, not if he veers from Scripture. I think if you don't trust your pastor or can't trust your pastor, then you should find a shepherd you can trust. I don't see how the body can be united if we can't even trust each other. Scriptures says that believers ought to love each other so much as to die for each other. How can we even love each other to that extent without basic trust for each other? We must be in the wrong church...or it's time to examine ourselves.

My pastor has to answer to the Great Shepherd. He is answerable to the congregation to some point, but he is not my responsibility. My responsibility is to hold my leaders in high esteem because they watch over my soul, and is an example to me in the faith, that I should follow.

1Th 5:12 We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you,
    1Th 5:13 and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves.

So I'll do my part, and leave my pastor to do his.

Heb 13:17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.
    Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Quote Originally Posted by ThyWordIsTruth View Post
    I have been under horrible leadership for over 15 years in a Pentecostal denomination. The leadership was totally autocratic, self-serving and disobedient to Scripture. In addition they were abusive, totally degraded your dignity if you disagreed with them in anyway and would publicly slander you from behind the pulpit. If you read the account of Diotrephes in 3 John, you'd get the idea of the kind of leadership I lived and served under. It's not much better than a cult.

But I submitted to their leadership. Not because I liked them, but because I believed that was the right thing to do in God's eyes. Knowing now what I know would I still do the same? I would leave, but I would in no way rebel openly for the sake of my testimony and for the Lord's sake. Now I know that a Christian is to put on humility and to have a servantlike attitude that is separate from the world. I think those years in that church served a purpose in my life: God broke me and my pride, and taught me how to humble myself under authority. I was proud and arrogant and insubmissive to authority, but surprisingly that horrible experience changed that part of me.

So now I am totally grateful for the pastor I have. He is a fellow brother in Christ, and a good under-shepherd who preaches the word of God faithfully without compromise. In a country where churches are going all out and doing everything they can to gun for big numbers and thus prestige for the pastors and more money in church coffers, my pastor's mantra is faithfulness to the word of God. He gets into the plough and pulls with us, is gentle with us when we hold to erroneous doctrine and corrects with much love and gentleness. He also encourages us to question and to study and think through Scripture and not just blindly accept what we're told. He's a wise, secure and faithful leader, and an example to the flock. I could ask for no better pastor I think.

If I can submit to horrendous (and I think unsaved) leaders, I have absolutely no problems submitting to my current pastor. Do I trust him? Yes, absolutely. Do I trust him blindly? No, not if he veers from Scripture. I think if you don't trust your pastor or can't trust your pastor, then you should find a shepherd you can trust. I don't see how the body can be united if we can't even trust each other. Scriptures says that believers ought to love each other so much as to die for each other. How can we even love each other to that extent without basic trust for each other? We must be in the wrong church...or it's time to examine ourselves.

My pastor has to answer to the Great Shepherd. He is answerable to the congregation to some point, but he is not my responsibility. My responsibility is to hold my leaders in high esteem because they watch over my soul, and is an example to me in the faith, that I should follow.

1Th 5:12 We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you,
    1Th 5:13 and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves.

So I'll do my part, and leave my pastor to do his.

Heb 13:17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.
    I have seen this type leadership in many denominations. Trust me, it is not limited to pentecostals.
    I think the point I am making here is that there are good pastors and bad pastors. I choose to stay away from the bad ones.

Blog Entries

I suppose I would have to wonder why someone would have a pastor that they didn't trust? Seems sort of foreign to me because that concept doesn't make any sense.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Blog Entries

Because as you well know from our similar denominational backgrounds, I may be at a church for life, that pastor will not.

If a pastor have given good cause to not trust him (and not repented) then don't, and get rid of the pastor.

If you don't trust your pastor because you are one of those people who are never happy with anything, get on your knees (in prayer) and then get over it.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Missionary View Post
    Because as you well know from our similar denominational backgrounds, I may be at a church for life, that pastor will not.
    Ha.... you can't hardly even say that any more. Many of them are apparently rooted in more solid than the foundation the building has been built on!

If a pastor have given good cause to not trust him (and not repented) then don't, and get rid of the pastor.
    While even that is changing in some circles... that's pretty much always been the practice.

If you don't trust your pastor because you are one of those people who are never happy with anything, get on your knees (in prayer) and then get over it.
    And... this is probably the most popular trait of church folk. Not all and not always... but by far I would say it is often the biggest problem.

Visit our new website
    ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
    "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter View Post
    Ha.... you can't hardly even say that any more. Many of them are apparently rooted in more solid than the foundation the building has been built on!
    I know some that get a new pastor every three years, whether they need it or not as if a pastor was a car...

I also know some denominations that do that as well, even if the church wants to keep their current pastor...
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectPeter View Post

While even that is changing in some circles... that's pretty much always been the practice.

And... this is probably the most popular trait of church folk. Not all and not always... but by far I would say it is often the biggest problem.
    I would not count on them being too well rooted. I just saw the overseer take one out of a C.O.G.paster here that did not want to leave, and he sent him where he did not want to go.

I know some that get a new pastor every three years, whether they need it or not as if a pastor was a car...

I also know some denominations that do that as well, even if the church wants to keep their current pastor...
    I think the latter was common in our denom for many years, typically staying 5 years before moving on. That does not seem to be the case as much anymore.
    It is only the cynic who claims “to speak the truth” at all times and in all places to all men in the same way, but who, in fact, displays nothing but a lifeless image of the truth… He dons the halo of the fanatical devotee of truth who can make no allowance for human weaknesses; but, in fact, he is destroying the living truth between men. He wounds shame, desecrates mystery, breaks confidence, betrays the community in which he lives, and laughs arrogantly at the devastation he has wrought and at the human weakness which “cannot bear the truth”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, in Ethics.

It seems to me that all church leaders must earn the right to be trusted every area - eg. Scriptural interpretation, attitudes, abilities etc. Unfortunately, in my experience, they are not all trustworthy.

But I ask the Lord to Bless each one, in whatever way He chooses . . .

Blog Entries

Yeah... tis a weird place sometimes.

Visit our new website

A.W. Tozer said,

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    I would not count on them being too well rooted. I just saw the overseer take one out of a C.O.G.paster here that did not want to leave, and he sent him where he did not want to go.
    Nice to know it is not limited to NC...

Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds357 View Post
    Afterall, the pastor has had 6 years in the cemetery to help him learn how to mis-interpret the Word of God. Did I say "cemetery?" I meant "seminary."
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrimtozion View Post
    Did I mention at the beginning of this thread that the purpose was not pastor-bashing? I'd appreciate it if you all refrain from it. Thanks.
    I don't think Reynolds357 bashed any particular pastor, just perhaps the process of becoming a pastor in general. Usually this is the way it goes. You take some guy right out of highschool and put him into a seminary. Now this kid has most probably been raised in a certain church, which taught him to believe certain things, and then he goes to a seminary which reinforces those same certain beliefs. Now here is the problem I have (and which Reynolds357 may have as well). When has this kid really ever studied the bible for himself? Has this kid ever challenged the teachings of those in authority? (And if this kid ever did either of these things, he would most likely be disqualified from the seminary and denomination he is a part of.) Now this kid graduates and he becomes youth/associate pastor and then eventually head pastor; never once questioning all the cr*p he has been taught. Now he is a disseminator of the cr*p. And the cycle goes on and on. Few who are caught up in this process ever take it upon themselves to reevaluate the whole thing. They may have a zeal for God, but much of their teaching may be questionable. They have been caught up in a system of belief which is far more concerned with self-preservation than the search for real truth.

Thread Information