cure-real
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biblical Methodology/Capabilities of Satan

Thumbs down Biblical Methodology/Capabilities of Satan

Hi, so I have a quick question about an origin of a belief that seems very popular but no one can truly give me a good Biblical basis for the assumption. My question is: Can satan give people good feelings through his deceitful ways to coax someone to do what he wants? More specifically, can satan make people believe that what they are being told is not from satan but rather then the Holy Spirit?

I don't care if people think that Satan or Demons or the Devil don't exist or can manipulate people's feelings, I'm just looking for Biblical references that can answer my question.

I apologize if a thread addressing this already exists, I'm new here obviously and so I have not thoroughly explored the site yet.

Thank you, and I once again am sorry for my stupidity in this post.

Blog Entries

Re: Biblical Methodology/Capabilities of Satan

Quote Originally Posted by ant0ine View Post
    Hi, so I have a quick question about an origin of a belief that seems very popular but no one can truly give me a good Biblical basis for the assumption. My question is: Can satan give people good feelings through his deceitful ways to coax someone to do what he wants? More specifically, can satan make people believe that what they are being told is not from satan but rather then the Holy Spirit?

I don't care if people think that Satan or Demons or the Devil don't exist or can manipulate people's feelings, I'm just looking for Biblical references that can answer my question.

I apologize if a thread addressing this already exists, I'm new here obviously and so I have not thoroughly explored the site yet.

Hi. Look at the Scriptures where people were possessed by demons. If Satan can do that then it seems he could use these people to lure others into sin.

Could you give me some really good examples? I'm not finding good instances of people getting possessed by demons really.

Blog Entries

Could you give me some really good examples? I'm not finding good instances of people getting possessed by demons really.
    Sure, here are some.

Mark 5:7-13 ( KJV )
    And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not.
    For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit.
    And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.
    And he besought him much that he would not send them away out of the country.
    Now there was there nigh unto the mountains a great herd of swine feeding.
    And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them.
    And forthwith Jesus gave them leave. And the unclean spirits went out, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the sea, (they were about two thousand and were choked in the sea.

Matthew 4:24 ( KJV )
    And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatic, and those that had the palsy; and he healed them.

Matthew 8:16 ( KJV )
    When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:

Matthew 8:28-32 ( KJV )
    And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.
    And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
    And there was a good way off from them an herd of many swine feeding.
    So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine.
    And he said unto them, Go. And when they were come out, they went into the herd of swine: and, behold, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the sea, and perished in the waters.

Matthew 9:32-34 ( KJV )
    As they went out, behold, they brought to him a dumb man possessed with a devil.
    And when the devil was cast out, the dumb spake: and the multitudes marvelled, saying, It was never so seen in Israel.
    But the Pharisees said, He casteth out devils through the prince of the devils.

Matthew 12:22 ( KJV )
    Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.

Mark 1:31-34 ( KJV )
    And he came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her, and she ministered unto them.
    And at even, when the sun did set, they brought unto him all that were diseased, and them that were possessed with devils.
    And all the city was gathered together at the door.
    And he healed many that were sick of divers diseases, and cast out many devils; and suffered not the devils to speak, because they knew him.

Acts 8:5-8 ( KJV )
    Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
    And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.
    For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed.
    And there was great joy in that city.

Acts 16:16 ( KJV )
    And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:

IMO, this is the wrong way to study the Bible... IE declaring a position and then trying to find scripture in support...

The sum of the word is truth, so one needs to diligently study the word, seeking for the one meaning and that all scripture fits together as a glove fits a hand -- and if conflict is found, then ones position must change and not the meaning of scripture..... So let scripture frame the position, and not a position in search of a passage or two.

So if you hold this position, my contention is that you would know why instead of trying to find scripture to marry to your opinions.

Not meant to be rough, just strong in correction to redirect your focus, if you understand what I'm saying for your benefit.
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Quote Originally Posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
    IMO, this is the wrong way to study the Bible... IE declaring a position and then trying to find scripture in support...

The sum of the word is truth, so one needs to diligently study the word, seeking for the one meaning and that all scripture fits together as a glove fits a hand -- and if conflict is found, then ones position must change and not the meaning of scripture..... So let scripture frame the position, and not a position in search of a passage or two.

So if you hold this position, my contention is that you would know why instead of trying to find scripture to marry to your opinions.

Not meant to be rough, just strong in correction to redirect your focus, if you understand what I'm saying for your benefit.
    It's not my belief, its a belief that satan cannot give people good feelings that many of my lds friends have and can support with quotes from the book of mormon, pearl of great price, and their doctrine and covenants, and they didn't give any Bible references, so I was just wondering if there is a congruent or contradictory viewpoint from the Bible. I'm not marrying anything to my opinions because I think that this is actually a fairly trivial opinion to have, I'm just trying to logically sort through all this.

It's not my belief, its a belief that satan cannot give people good feelings that many of my lds friends have and can support with quotes from the book of mormon, pearl of great price, and their doctrine and covenants, and they didn't give any Bible references, so I was just wondering if there is a congruent or contradictory viewpoint from the Bible. I'm not marrying anything to my opinions because I think that this is actually a fairly trivial opinion to have, I'm just trying to logically sort through all this.
    So then... what do you believe the bible states about Satan's attributes? If you can know God and His attributes and then know that Satan is a created being.... Wouldn't you then know that satan is not God or have God's attributes? Is Satan omnipotent? No. Is Satan everywhere? No. Is he powerful? Does Satan know your thoughts? No... So he is a deceiver, a liar, a murderer... full of iniquity.

So my next advice is that the Book of Mormon is not the Bible, not a companion to the Bible, nor even a commentary to the Bible, and thus is a book of false doctrines and bended truths, and my advice is to stay away from it.

Focus on studying the bible, read it, take notes, memorize it, cherish it, live it and one day you will be well equip to know what you believe and why you believe it and be right and firm....

But now, getting a couple of scriptural 'bullets' to reply to your friends will lead to their knowing more about Mormonism than you knowing about your beliefs, and you will always be circling back for more ammo, not know if that ammo is right wrong or indifferent... so refrain for now the battling and focus more on becoming equipped and when the right time comes, you will have what you need to witness the Gospel to those who don't know the precious salvation in Jesus.

Blessings...

RbG

Well I'm obviously staying away from the Book of Mormon, which I believe qualifies LDS as non-Christian, I just want further proof against it not in order to shoot them down but to make sure they can't latch onto my beliefs and call themselves Christian and be put in the same category as me. It's just a simple question, not a theological statement I hang my hat on. I know that Satan is extremely deceitful, but can he give people good feelings in his deceit? Can Satan give people good feelings and show them the "true way" and trick them into thinking that what they're doing is a good thing?

Well I'm obviously staying away from the Book of Mormon, which I believe qualifies LDS as non-Christian, I just want further proof against it not in order to shoot them down but to make sure they can't latch onto my beliefs and call themselves Christian and be put in the same category as me. It's just a simple question, not a theological statement I hang my hat on. I know that Satan is extremely deceitful, but can he give people good feelings in his deceit? Can Satan give people good feelings and show them the "true way" and trick them into thinking that what they're doing is a good thing?
    To one who is Born of God? A resounding no...

If you are born again, you have God's Spirit living within you... The charge that Paul and Peter and John and Luke and Mark and the writer of Hebrews gives is in self-examination, making sure you are born of the Spirit... so test all things against the word, hold fast to that which are good, and self-examine your heart often to make sure your walk is in accordance to that of a called believer.

Satan and his angels are all created beings and do battle a spiritual battle today. But Satan is not Jesus' 'brother' as the Mormons try to claim, nor is he as God or a god.

So good feelings are not what makes one a christian, but understanding the Gospel and who Christ is is the wisdom of salvation of God's grace through the gift of faith in Christ. And then from that truth, feelings enter. But having good feelings without correctly hearing and responding to the gospel is just like going to a movie... and lost only for a season of how good I feel.

So saying a prayer and feeling good doesn't necessarily make one 'saved', but being saved is comprehending and changing course of life being submissive to Christ instead of sin. That is why Jesus told Nicodemus that in order to be saved, God has to make him born again with His Spirit.

The wisdom of salvation's calling is the discerning factor.

More specifically, can satan make people believe that what they are being told is not from satan but rather then the Holy Spirit?
    Sure he can.

2Co 4:3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those who are perishing.
    2Co 4:4 In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

2Ti 2:26 and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

2Ti 3:12 Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,
    2Ti 3:13 while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.

2Co 11:13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.
    2Co 11:14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
    2Co 11:15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

That is what Satan does to false teachers, and all those who follow them. Scripture says that they are both decieved themselves, and deceiving other people. They always claim to speak on behalf of God or to perform miracles with the power of the Holy Spirit.
    Tit 3:2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.

Interesting topic.

Let me ask this, would this hold true if Satan couldn't?

Matthew 7.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Edit- two things.
    #1- I'd say the people in Matthew 7 are not of Christ.
    #2- As such, I still maintain that THOSE IN CHRIST cannot be tricked nor possessed by Satan in that way. Christ has authority over the demonic. In Matthew 8, two men from the tombs come running out- possessed with demons. They KNOW who Christ is, and KNOW his power over them (they ask if he came to torture them). Being Christ has power over the demonic, we know it is his spirit within us, read Romans 8:
    9You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. 10But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.
    If the Spirit which has dominion over the demons lives within us, how could we be tricked into not knowing which spirit is which? If the Spirit LIVES IN US, how could the Devil also live in us?

Holding pattern awaiting further instructions
    Blog Entries

Hi,

“You sprang from the devil, your real father, and you want to practice your father’s wishes. He was a murderer from the very start, and he does not stand by the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks out of his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of lies.” (Joh 8:44 Williams)

“Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.” (Joh 8:44 AV-KJV 1769)

False teaching can also come from bad examples of religious leaders. In John 8 Jesus Christ pointed out that the Pharisees (one of the parties of Jewish religious leaders) were acting on behalf of Satan (by being bad examples to the people).

If Satan can get us to listen to and accept enough lies, and to follow the wrong examples, he can get us do what he wants rather than obey God.
    Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, ‘For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.’ No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Rm 8:35-39

Quote Originally Posted by doug3 View Post
    If Satan can get us to listen to and accept enough lies, he can get us do what he wants rather than obey God.
    That's not true. Satan obeys God, go read Job.

Holding pattern awaiting further instructions
    Blog Entries

???????????????? That is a totally different matter. I just do not see what you are getting at.
    Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, ‘For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.’ No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Rm 8:35-39

Quote Originally Posted by doug3 View Post
    ???????????????? That is a totally different matter.
    I read your statement wrong, my apologies.

Thread Information