cure-real

Thread: What does it mean to be humble before God?

What does it mean to be humble before God?

Also, is this something we can do, or can it only be a result of God's work in us?

I am reading in Psalm 25 and it talks of how God will teach the humble his way. I want to submit and be humble to God, but so often I get caught up in my own thoughts and life.

Re: What does it mean to be humble before God?

In my opinion I think it means to totally trust in God, get out of HIS way and not tell HIM or act towards HIM like HE can't be your solution. He wants us to come to HIM like children wanting everything from HIM alone.

He hates the prideful and arrogant actions.

I don't think HE even hears the prayers of the proud ones.
    Last edited by Dizzytimes7; Aug 4th 2010 at 04:55 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Not taking up a self righteous attitude towards God or anyone else. A lot of Christians today try and make their own way and their own truth concerning God and His word. They don't mind compromise, and take great pride in making others feel guilty for not compromising as they do. When you humble yourself before the Lord, it means you show the utmost respect to the point you would believe anything He said, and would try to do to the best of your ability, anything He asked.

A person who is not humble will not accept correction from the word and actually hates anyone whom dare to take it literally. Does not mind mocking God, and demonizing those who would strive to be humble. That may sound harsh, but I can point out several examples on this forum.

IMO if you strive to be humble, you are not humble at all.
    The second you become aware of humbleness, you've lost it.

So I would say that's entirely something up to God's work in us.

Quote Originally Posted by TexUs View Post

I agree and disagree (if that's possible). Because for each it is different. Some it comes easy, for others it does not. I am aware of it only because it makes me different, and strengthens my faith. And the reson I have to strive for it is because I run a creation forum and website. Need I say more?

Just the other day had a guy send me an e-mail and we got into a theological debate. The guy was so arrogant it was all I could do to keep myself from just going off. I soon figured out he was a professional Bible scoffer who was trying to present himself as a Christian. A fact I relayed to him that he never denied. So before I got more into not being humble, I humbly bowed out of a debate that was a total waste of time. So I had to strive at it because I am constantly tested. Also because it put me in a bad attitude, one I do not like to have in prayer.

Quote Originally Posted by ikester7579 View Post
    I agree and disagree (if that's possible). Because for each it is different. Some it comes easy, for others it does not. I am aware of it only because it makes me different, and strengthens my faith. And the reson I have to strive for it is because I run a creation forum and website. Need I say more?

Just the other day had a guy send me an e-mail and we got into a theological debate. The guy was so arrogant it was all I could do to keep myself from just going off. I soon figured out he was a professional Bible scoffer who was trying to present himself as a Christian. A fact I relayed to him that he never denied. So before I got more into not being humble, I humbly bowed out of a debate that was a total waste of time. So I had to strive at it because I am constantly tested. Also because it put me in a bad attitude, one I do not like to have in prayer.
    IMO you telling me of this is a bit of pride, contrary to humility... Which goes back to my point of as soon as you realize you've got humility, it's gone.

Heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)

Why does scripture say that we must humble ourselves then (Matt 18:4, Matt 23:12, Luke 14:11, Luke 18:14, James 4:10, 1 Peter 5:6)?

Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    Why does scripture say that we must humble ourselves then (Matt 18:4, Matt 23:12, Luke 14:11, Luke 18:14, James 4:10, 1 Peter 5:6)?
    I don't know. Good question.

I do know the Greek for humility is the same in all these verses, tapeinoō. Which humble is an accurate translation for.

Heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)

I don't know. Good question.
    I suggest you take the time to find the answer to the question then.

Quote Originally Posted by John146 View Post
    I suggest you take the time to find the answer to the question then.
    Can you have genuine humility if you know you have it? I don't think you can.

Thread Information