cure-real

Thread: Can we pray for a certain spiritual gift or not?

Blog Entries

Can we pray for a certain spiritual gift or not?

1 Corinthians 12

4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

I have read many posts of people praying for the gift of speaking in tongues and on one discussion it was pointed out there is nothing in scriptures to suggest we should even pray for a certain gift..I wanted to explore that a little more.

I am not interested in the gift of tongues...just so you know, but the gift of healing. I see so much suffering all the time..mentally, physically..spiritually and would love to have this gift of God working through me to heal others. I just hate seeing people suffer and I do pray for them of course.

So it is ok or not to ask God for a certain gift..or it is just up to what the Holy Spirit decides and we have no say so on the matter?

Thanks.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Re: Can we pray for a certain spiritual gift or not?

Moonglow, I think you DO have the gift of healing - it's manifested in the prayers you offer up on behalf of those who are ill or need healing. God does the healing, no matter if it's through prayer or through hands - it's all God anyway.

Just my thoughts.
    V

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vhayes View Post
    Moonglow, I think you DO have the gift of healing - it's manifested in the prayers you offer up on behalf of those who are ill or need healing. God does the healing, no matter if it's through prayer or through hands - it's all God anyway.

Just my thoughts.
    V
    I realized its God all the way of course...that He just works through others. But I don't think I have this gift because rarely do those I pray for get better.. If they do, I see it as a result of the answered prayer of many. Which is great I know.

But what I am talking about is how its described in the bible. Jesus didn't even have to always touch those that needed healing but also did it 'long distance'..lol. I am sure you know the stories where different people came to Him about a loved one home sick or even dead and He healed them. (though I am not looking to raise the dead..lol). Just healing those suffering through my prayers. Hope that makes sense.

God bless
    "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    1 Corinthians 12:11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.
    So it is ok or not to ask God for a certain gift..or it is just up to what the Holy Spirit decides and we have no say so on the matter?
    Our say on the matter is whether we make ourselves available for the Holy Spirit to work through in a way that will bring glory to God. Seeking such and even with specificity is Biblical in my opinion.

There is much made about Paul's prelude and postlude to I Corinthians 13 (Paul's discourse on love) but I believe the sense given on an unfiltered basis is the correct sense (at least to me):

I Corinthians 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.
    I Corinthians 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

Paul is instructing the Corinthians to desire to be used (gifted) by the Holy Spirit for the accomplishing of God's will in the matter (I Corinthians 12:11) through them. My sense is that we should seek with specificity to be used of God according to how we are placed in the body.

None of us have any kind of propensity to supernaturally heal another and so none of us are more "fit" for the gift than another by our natural abilities. But where we might differ one from another is in our willingness to be used, in our belief that God desires to gift us with supernatural gifts, in our desire to bring glory to God, and our faith in God and in His active role in our lives as Christians.

If you believe that God can heal through gifting of the Holy Spirit then I think the scriptures encourage you to ask God to use you in such a capacity.
    Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Quote Originally Posted by moonglow View Post
    1 Corinthians 12

4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

I have read many posts of people praying for the gift of speaking in tongues and on one discussion it was pointed out there is nothing in scriptures to suggest we should even pray for a certain gift..I wanted to explore that a little more.

I am not interested in the gift of tongues...just so you know, but the gift of healing. I see so much suffering all the time..mentally, physically..spiritually and would love to have this gift of God working through me to heal others. I just hate seeing people suffer and I do pray for them of course.

Thanks.

God bless
    I should point out that the main purpose of the gift of healing is not primarily healing. God manifests the supernatural in order to punctuate or authenticate his message to mankind. There is nothing wrong with praying for healing, since God may heal someone out of his mercy and grace. I think that we can ask God for anything we want, and I encourage you and everyone to bring your heart's concerns to God. So if you want the gift of healing, it doesn't hurt to ask. However, those who want the gift of healing for it's own sake, as you suggest need to understand that the Biblical gift of healing isn't intended to have a practical purpose. Some Christians tend to think that God gave us the gift of healing so as to replace doctors and medicine.

Notice in the following passage from Acts, how Peter uses the opportunity of a healing to preach Jesus. He draws a one-for-one correspondance between the act of healing and the name, i.e. authority of Jesus and his relationship to the Father.

Acts 3:12-16 But when Peter saw [the crowds], he replied to the people, "Men of Israel, why are you amazed at this, or why do you gaze at us, as if by our own power or piety we had made him walk? The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, the God of our fathers, has glorified His servant Jesus, whom you delivered and disowned in the presence of Pilate, when he had decided to release Him. But you disowned the Holy and Righteous One and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, but put to death the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, a fact to which we are witnesses. And on the basis of faith in His name, it is the name of Jesus which has strengthened this man whom you see and know; and the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect health in the presence of you all.

Peter asserts that the primary reason God healed this beggar was to authenticate and guarantee that indeed Jesus is the "righteous one" for whom Israel had been waiting all this time. The healing wasn't done for the sake of the man; it was done to stand as proof and evidence that Jesus Christ was indeed the savior for which Israel had been waiting. If God is going to heal through an intermediary, he will be using the intermediary to speak his message, which he will then supernaturally certify. Otherwise, he will not us an intermediary and simply supernaturally heal someone as an act of mercy and kindness.

Blog Entries

Desire gifts, but seek God and do all in love and the gifts will come.
    For what mortal has ever heard the voice of the living God speaking out of fire, as we have, and survived? ~ Deuteronomy 5:26

If you're not prepared to risk your very life for your "enemy" you have no right to speak to him of love. ~ Daughter

Many say they are called... but I am pretty convinced that with many of them it was the wrong number. ~ Project Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Missionary View Post
    Desire gifts, but seek God and do all in love and the gifts will come.
    Yes. Yes indeed.

We serve a mighty and wonderous God, do we not?

Thread Information